What on earth is happening to me?

Options
2»

Replies

• jewels2142
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome...you mentioned you are going low-carb...I just finished the book "Wheat Belly", which explains all the really ugly side effects of wheat and gluten because its been so hybridized and modified. A couple of those side effects are unstable blood sugar, insulin surges (promoting fat storage) and also severe cravings for more, because wheat proteins fit into the same receptor as opiates do in the brain. If you have cut out or cut back on wheat products, its probably helping you alot with that, it helped me...but just to offer some advice, (or more of a warning): if you were like me, with a horrible sweet-carb tooth, if you eat something like cake, it can open a floodgate. Once you reintroduce bad foods into the body, you can start to crave them even worse than before you quit them. I cut out gluten, lost about 40lbs, started to slip up and now I am back at square one. Not that it will happen to you, but just be aware if you have a treat, it may be harder to kill the cravings later so it could help if you get yourself into the right mindset first. Hope this helps, Congrats on your new food awareness!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome...you mentioned you are going low-carb...I just finished the book "Wheat Belly", which explains all the really ugly side effects of wheat and gluten because its been so hybridized and modified. A couple of those side effects are unstable blood sugar, insulin surges (promoting fat storage) and also severe cravings for more, because wheat proteins fit into the same receptor as opiates do in the brain. If you have cut out or cut back on wheat products, its probably helping you alot with that, it helped me...but just to offer some advice, (or more of a warning): if you were like me, with a horrible sweet-carb tooth, if you eat something like cake, it can open a floodgate. Once you reintroduce bad foods into the body, you can start to crave them even worse than before you quit them. I cut out gluten, lost about 40lbs, started to slip up and now I am back at square one. Not that it will happen to you, but just be aware if you have a treat, it may be harder to kill the cravings later so it could help if you get yourself into the right mindset first. Hope this helps, Congrats on your new food awareness!

I really need to read that book! i am always talking about GMO foods and don't like that there are SO many on the store shelves. I recently was told by my dr to cut out wheat and dairy. I figured it was mostly because of the modification, its no longer in its original state in most cases. I really need to check that book out!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome Stacy. I wish I could say the same thing about me, my appetite seems to have increased after the holidays.

However I know once in the "zone" its a great feeling!
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I really need to read that book! i am always talking about GMO foods and don't like that there are SO many on the store shelves. I recently was told by my dr to cut out wheat and dairy. I figured it was mostly because of the modification, its no longer in its original state in most cases. I really need to check that book out!

Another good one is The End of Overeating by David Kessler.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I still eat meat, but as long as I keep my carbs down and stick to healthy fats, I have zero desire to eat crap. Carbs drive this crazy dopamine release in your brain (read: addiction mechanism), and being obese (especially when you're taking a lot of simple carbs on board) messes with your body's normal satiety feedback loop. You know, the thing that tells you to stop eating when you're full. True fact: dark chocolate triggers the satiety mechanism. Milk chocolate does not; too much sugar!

So as long as you stick to a low-carb lifestyle, your cravings and addictive behaviors about food will probably stay under control. :)

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you, hun! :D
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Stacy I have to say I am envious. Only because I could never do the vegetarian thing. The only veggies I like are green beans, lettuce, tomatoes occasionaly, pickles (if you count them as a veggie!) and corn. I've hated veggies since I was a little kid, it took me forever to open up to lettuce, tomatoes and green beans. I just can't bring myself to do it!...

I used to be the EXACT same way (except I didn't even like green beans lol). I started dating an Asian man 4 years ago though and he turned me on to a lot of different kinds of Asian vegetables and I found great recipes on how to make them. I started liking them and then after a couple of years I started adding in more western types of vegetables. Now I LOVE veggies. It had to be a slow change for me, but finding really tasty recipes proved to me that vegetables don't have to be boring or tasteless.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Good for you! :smile:

What's a coconut bun? I think I'm missing out on something.

It's an Asian desert bun. Also known as Chinese Cocktail Buns. It's really good. :)
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I used to be the same. I would finish everything on my plate even though I was full. Now, I'm able to push it away if I'm full before finishing everything.

It feels wonderful, doesn't it!? Oh my goodness I can't believe how good it feels! lol
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    ...Heck, I now even know what an actual portion IS ... I used to think eating portions was until I felt full or the bag of 'whatever' was gone...

LOL I know, right? When I first started my weight loss journey I was actually pretty shocked to find that I was eating 2-3 times the recommended "portion size". Who knew that a portion of tortilla chips was only 12 chips? Or that a portion of meat is only about 3 oz. (about the size of a deck of cards)? Iol It's pretty shocking to find out what real portion sizes look like compared to how much many of us eat.
  • fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The book, EatIng to Live by Dr. Fuhrman, explains it well. If you are eating smaller meals spread throughout the day, your blood sugar will be more steady. If you eat more fruits, veggies, and other power nutritious foods, there is no need to eat more since you are getting the nutrition you need. Green leafy vegetables have more protein per calorie than a piece of meat. We have been taught to look at per weight instead, which is making us eat more meat and more calories.

You don't have to eat as much to get the nutrition you need if you are eating the power foods. From what you posted, your veggie meal is working!
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    ...if you were like me, with a horrible sweet-carb tooth, if you eat something like cake, it can open a floodgate. Once you reintroduce bad foods into the body, you can start to crave them even worse than before you quit them. I cut out gluten, lost about 40lbs, started to slip up and now I am back at square one. Not that it will happen to you, but just be aware if you have a treat, it may be harder to kill the cravings later so it could help if you get yourself into the right mindset first. Hope this helps, Congrats on your new food awareness!...

Thank you for the words of caution! I do hope this doesn't happen to me. It's kind of what I'm afraid of too. I feel like I have SO MUCH CONTROL over cravings and desires for food right now (for the first time in my life) that I'm really scared of losing that and going back to the way I used to be.

I never imagined that I could feel this indifferent about food. Even when I'm hungry I'm not any less in control of my choices and instead of just grabbing what's handy I'll take the time to wash and cut up veggies, cook them, add some nuts, etc and then sit down to eat it. Before when I was hungry I would totally go for whatever was fastest and easiest because my self control over my choices was at it's weakest when I was hungry. Now I still have it even then, and it just blows me away.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    The book, EatIng to Live by Dr. Fuhrman, explains it well. If you are eating smaller meals spread throughout the day, your blood sugar will be more steady. If you eat more fruits, veggies, and other power nutritious foods, there is no need to eat more since you are getting the nutrition you need. Green leafy vegetables have more protein per calorie than a piece of meat. We have been taught to look at per weight instead, which is making us eat more meat and more calories.

You don't have to eat as much to get the nutrition you need if you are eating the power foods. From what you posted, your veggie meal is working!

That makes perfect sense. And that explains a LOT. I am shocked to find that I am getting full on portion sizes I wouldn't have believed would fill me up. It makes sense that my body triggers the full feeling when I get the adequate nutrition that my body needs. That also explains why I used to be able to eat huge portions of food that weren't so good for you and not feel full. I wasn't getting the nutrition my body needed.

Thanks for the great response!
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Thank you all for the great feedback, advice, and book recommendations! There is a reason why I love this site so much and you guys remind me of why! :D Thank you! :heart: