HELP! I'm too sore after strength training

Options
I have been pretty conservative with the weights I lift because it's been a while since I've done vigorous strength training. The plan is to do weights for my legs 3 times a week, and my arms the other 3 days a week (Sunday is my rest day). I usually warm-up on the stationary bike for 7 minutes, do squats, lunges, inner/outer thigh machines, and side squats, and then move on to cardio. Today, my legs felt so HEAVY I could not do cardio without feeling pulled down. It was bringing me down. Should I lower the weights I lift and do less reps of squats and lunges? Or stick through it? I am not sure if that would be hurting more than helping my muscles. Help???

Replies

• ayassine08
    Options
    And of course, I stretch really well between warm up and strength
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    How long have you been lifting?

Whenever I take any time off I get really sore the first week. My legs are so sore that it hurts getting up off the couch right now thanks to 6 weeks off legs!

My advice, assuming you are just getting started or starting a new weight, would be to stick with it a week-ish and then reevaluate.
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What about a good stretch AFTER the whole workout is done?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I have always done my cardio first, then weights/strength training. Otherwise I run out of steam too soon.
  • SouthernBeauty89
    Options
    Coffee & Stretching is great ways to stop soreness. :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Find that after heavy lifting or doing many reps of squats, lunges, calf work - cardio after does help but its a definite but, it takes 20 to 25 minutes of cardio before I feel relief. Cardio after strength does help I think because it allows or provides an opportunity for the lactic acid to leave the muscles and not remain in the muscle fibers. That's my understanding.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes to lifting first & cardio after. Another idea is to double up your workouts & do full-body lifting 3 days a week instead of alternating. Then you'll have 2 full days of rest between each lifting session. I switched to this type of program recently & LOVE IT. I am much more effective in the weight room now.

I also find that making sure I keep up the workouts limits the severity of the soreness. You do want SOME soreness because that's an indication your muscles are adapting to the stress, but it shouldn't be crippling. I try not to let more than 2 days pass between lifting sessions & that both limits soreness & promotes progression. If I take a break from lifting, I don't go more than a week.

And maybe the most important thing of all is nutrition: are you eating properly to fuel your workouts? Get lots of protein to feed those muscles.
  • ayassine08
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Yes, I definitely know that lifting THEN cardio is most effective (that's what I did when I was on my college swim team). I might have to go with full body lifting from now on, that sounds like a good plan. I squeeze my workouts early in the morning (5:30am-ish) because I have a long commute to get to work by 9. I guess I haven't had the patience to do full-body lifting because cardio is really what gives me energy before work over anything else.

I am also vegan -- I think this convo should be moved to another section. Newly vegan, I must add, so I am looking for creative ways to rev up my protein. Thank you all for your advice!! :)