I'm freaking out!

Options
So yesterday I did measurments, weight, all that jazz and I was quite pleased with it. Today, when I went to weigh myself I had gained a whole pound! I don't know how I could have, nothing in my diet changed, not in my clothing, or even the time of day. I'm super confused and don't know what to make of it.

Replies

• TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to weight yourself every day. There are daily fluctuations in weight. You will notice that even through out the day, your weight will change.

In order to stop freaking yourself out, weight once a week always at the same time. That is the most accurate. If you insist on weighing daily get used to fluctuation.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself every day? Of course your weight is going to fluctuate throughout the week, that's why there's no sense in weighing yourself every day. Obviously you can't handle seeing the fluctuations so why bother?
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Get used to it.

Your weight can fluctuate daily by 3 lbs or so, and it doesn't mean much of anything. You didn't gain a pound of fat in 1 day (unless you ate 3,500 EXTRA calories yesterday), so it's most likely water weight fluctuations.

Lots of people recommend weighing only once a week or so, so you don't see these daily fluctuations. I, personally, do weigh in every day, but just choose not to get freaked out by those little increases. Track your weight over time, not just one day compared to the next.

Calm down, stay off the scale for a while, keep to your calorie goals, and weigh again next week.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I did measurments, weight, all that jazz and I was quite pleased with it. Today, when I went to weigh myself I had gained a whole pound! I don't know how I could have, nothing in my diet changed, not in my clothing, or even the time of day. I'm super confused and don't know what to make of it.
    This is going to happen all the time. Just weigh less often. Salt has a big part in your weight as does the menstrual cycle. Don't worry, you don't own it yet.
  • rice0122
    rice0122 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    maybe you have to poop. Seriously, you can't weigh yourself every day. When you go to fitness classes and do something other than cardio, you get toned. Muscle weighs more than fat. Even though I have only lost 8 lbs, I have lost a couple sizes and have a 6 pack now.
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can't have gained a pound overnight. A gain of a pound equals 3500 calories OVER your normal need. It could be water weight, or not have gone to the toilet.

I personally weigh myself every day. You get used to the fluctuations after a while. It's always nice to see it come off again!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Even if you did eat 3500 extra calories extra one day, it still would not have time to turn into an actual pound of fat overnight.
  • ksabo1963
    Options
    Don't stress out it could be water weight....
  • princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate day to day. Don't let it bother you! As others said, it might be better to weigh in once a week. I weigh myself every day, but I don't let it bother me. Keep it in perspective.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I agree to all of this, when I choose to weigh myself everyday I have to remember the fluctuations, and I see them. I weigh myself like this sometimes so I can see what I ate during the day that might affect my weight. Don't get flustered, inches lost is better than pounds in my opinion.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can't have gained a pound overnight. A gain of a pound equals 3500 calories OVER your normal need. It could be water weight, or not have gone to the toilet.

I personally weigh myself every day. You get used to the fluctuations after a while. It's always nice to see it come off again!

^this
    I weigh every day also but don't get worked up about the fluctuations. If you want to weigh every day, try doing an average of your daily weights each week, averaging out the highs and lows.
  • hofosho1020
    Options
    It's probably just water weight or you need to take a good poo! Don't worry about it!
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out. You're in this for the long haul. I can flutuate 3-5 pounds a day during everything right. Don't sweat it. As long as you are eating heathly, exercising properly, and doing all the right things, it will all fall into place in it right time. Just think: if you were binging you'd believe you deserved to gain; if you're doing the right things, it will all work out in your best interest when it happens. Log everything.....every morsel you put in your mouth as well as every step you take during the day to offset calories. Celebrate that you're getting healthier and healthier every day, and eventually the scale will show it. Hang in there!
  • fond
    fond Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Water or muscle?
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I agree with this and all the others saying similar....there is nothing wrong with a daily weigh as long as you don't stress about the fluctuations. It works for me....just work out what's right for you....take no notice of the 'should' or 'shouldn't' brigade....we are all different!!
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Its daft to get so stressed as i can go up and down 2/3 lbs a day, there is realy np point in weighing yourself evey day
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I drink loads water, stay really low carb for few days before my weigh-in day, make sure I've been to bathroom so there's not like 5lb of food in my stomach still! .... Then I usually get my llightest weight, I do this twice a week, when I weighed that morning and got lightest weight then I have my treat day, then next few days back to low carb and repeat same thing again.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I drink loads water, stay really low carb for few days before my weigh-in day, make sure I've been to bathroom so there's not like 5lb of food in my stomach still! .... Then I usually get my llightest weight, I do this twice a week, when I weighed that morning and got lightest weight then I have my treat day, then next few days back to low carb and repeat same thing again.

That seems like an awful lot of work to try to get what you want to see on the scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,591 Member
    Options
    It's water. If you can't handle small fluctuations, then you shouldn't weigh everyday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rsouthland
    Options
    Simply stated, day to day your weight will fluxuate 1-2 pounds, even when your doing everything right. So your choices are :

1) track your fluxuations, ups and downs by weighing in every day, same time. This will teach you alot about your body.
    2) weigh in once a week, same time and hope for the best.

Personally, I weigh and track my weight every single day. That way I can get a better read of my weight based on what I did or didn't do that day and what I ate / drank or didn't.