Oats - Hate Oatmeal/Porridge

Options
PrincessLou71186
PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
Does anyone know any good recipies for oats?
I understand that they are a good source of food but I can't stand Oatmeal/Porridge so looking to put them in other foods.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.
X

EDIT: I should mention that I don't dislike oats, it's the texture and consistency of the Oatmeal/Porridge that I can't get along with,

Replies

• chicklidell
    Options
    Mix half cup of oats into your omelettes, I use egg whites, oats, cinnamon and stevia....mix it up, make the omelette more like a crepe, really thin, then you can use this as "bread" I let it cool, fill it with cream cheese and asparagus, or smoked salmon and a little swiss, tuna salas, grilled veggies..and roll it up...yum!

Add the oatmeal (you can toast it) with dried fruit and slivered almonds to your greek yogurt.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    When I make meatloaf or anything of that nature, I use oats as the filler instead of breadcrumbs.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Muesli? But if you really don't like them you could probably just eat other grains and be just fine. You don't need to eat oatmeal,
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't eat them.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Ding ding ding.

If you insist on punishing yourself, make sure you at least try steel cut oats. Much better than the mushy instant oats.
  • SIimMama
    SIimMama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like to make a shake/smoothie with milk, vanilla yogurt, apple, a little pb and oats...you can throw in some whey for the extra protein. It's a little high on the calories, so you've got to watch that, but it makes a good filling shake.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Look for some muffin recipes - I can't stand oatmeal either, but love oat muffins and cookies (healthy varieties of course! ). You can also find them in granola bars. Or mix up your own granola and use to top yogurt, or bake on top of sliced apples or pears or any fruit, like a cobbler - if you make it yourself, you can avoid the added sugar and make some really healthy treats..
  • PrincessLou71186
    Options
    Mix half cup of oats into your omelettes, I use egg whites, oats, cinnamon and stevia....mix it up, make the omelette more like a crepe, really thin, then you can use this as "bread" I let it cool, fill it with cream cheese and asparagus, or smoked salmon and a little swiss, tuna salas, grilled veggies..and roll it up...yum!

Add the oatmeal (you can toast it) with dried fruit and slivered almonds to your greek yogurt.

Thanks, That sounds delicious.
  • PrincessLou71186
    Options
    I like to make a shake/smoothie with milk, vanilla yogurt, apple, a little pb and oats...you can throw in some whey for the extra protein. It's a little high on the calories, so you've got to watch that, but it makes a good filling shake.

Never thought of making smoothies with it, thanks.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ding ding ding.

If you insist on punishing yourself, make sure you at least try steel cut oats. Much better than the mushy instant oats.

I agree that instant oats are too mushy. I prefer "multigrain" cereals (oats, wheat, barley, rye) to plain oatmeal. Quaker makes one (yellow label), and Trader Joe's carries one by Country Choice Organic. 1/2 cup each of cereal and water, microwave 3 minutes, top with something yummy.

Not sure if there is a low-cal oatmeal cookie, but worth an internet search to find one!
  • PrincessLou71186
    Options
    Look for some muffin recipes - I can't stand oatmeal either, but love oat muffins and cookies (healthy varieties of course! ). You can also find them in granola bars. Or mix up your own granola and use to top yogurt, or bake on top of sliced apples or pears or any fruit, like a cobbler - if you make it yourself, you can avoid the added sugar and make some really healthy treats..

I love oat and raisin cookies, I shall have a go at making my own.

Never thought of granola bars either, great, thanks.
  • Jamie_82
    Options
    There are some good breads (Oroweat) and granolas (Kashi, Bear Naked) with oats. You could probably find some good oatmeal cookie recipes too!

I hate the hot cereal oatmeal also, but like oatmeal in other forms. I understand what you're saying totally!!!!

I also always add instant oats to my sloppy joes - and no one has ever noticed :)
  • golfnutqr
    Options
    Here's my take on the original Good Eats (Alton Brown) recipe for steel-cut (Irish/Scottish/pinhead) oats. It was described as breakfast risotto, and I agree. I make enough for 5-6 breakfasts at a time as it takes 45 minutes or so to prepare.

Saute 1 (1 1/3) cup of steel cut (pinhead) oats in 1 (1½) Tbsp. of butter. Keep moving every now and then.

3 (4) cups boiling water (AB recommends electric kettle for speed and efficiency)

When oats smell nutty, add water AND ¼ c. dried fruit. Turn down heat to a simmer and stir. NO salt yet. After reaching a good simmer (about 2 on left front burner), cover and leave for 30 (35) minutes.

½ c whole milk
    ½ c, buttermilk (whole or low-fat)

Mix milks before adding to porridge to prevent curdling. Add ½ t. salt and milk

Fold (with fat handle of a spoon to prevent breaking down oat structure) until right consistency - but I use yogurt, see below).

Add cinnamon (Zeylanicum tree, not cassia) - I use Saigon cinnamon from Costco.

I find that I can skip the milks part. Just fold in ¾ - 1 c (¼ is cooked with oats) of dried fruit and about 3 - 6-oz. containers of yogurt. It seems to keep in the fridge just fine for at least a week. One cup nukes in about 2 min or so, and is better with some more cinnamon.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Sounds good golfnutqr, but that recipe takes oats from being good for you to no so good for you. Butter +buttermilk + whole milk?

Keep it simple for steel cut oats. A 1:4 ratio oats to water works well. Take 1 cup of steel cut oats and add 4 cups of water and a couple dashes of sea salt. Let soak overnight. Heat oats to boiling then reduce to low for about 10 minutes.

You can add fruits (love blueberries in mine), nuts, cinnamon (NOT cinnamon sugar), splenda (if you need them sweeter), etc..

If you go to reheat them, add a splash of milk or water before you heat them up in the microwave. Do only 30 secs at a time so you don't ruin them.
  • I too can't bear the texture of porridge, too much like frog spawn if you ask me.

I don't mind ready brek though as the texture is smoother ... I can take this quite happily. Some fruit and a slug of cinnamon or nutmeg and it doesn't even TASTE like porridge!!!!!

I guess I'm pretty fussy though - I've given up on shop bought cereals and now make my own granola which I can have crunchy or soft depending on whether I soak overnight or not.

Good luck - we're all in it together!

:tongue:
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Im definitly trying this this weekend!!!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just ditch the oats IMO.
  • shannonsmiles
    Options
    I had the exact same question - my friend said - "dont cook them" .
    So I tried it - just the 1/2 c. oats, 1/4 c cold milk and a dash of stevia- ate them like cereal.
    I think it would be better if you toast the oats....
    But it gives me an alternative choice tho it is almost at the limit of calories i have for breakfast.