BEER

Options
I want to know if there are any beer drinkers out there? I love to have a brew (or 2 :drinker:) What's your favorite and how badly does it really throw off my diet? LOL... pretty bad I guess if I'm here trying to lose weight.

Replies

• autumnblingsz
    autumnblingsz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love beer too! I've lost weight while still drinking it once a week.. My cheat day usually involves going to the bar instead of going to a resturant because I think that's funner..haha. Anyway, a really good low cal beer is Budweiser Select 55. It only has 55 calories, whereas most lite beers have around 100 and regular beers have almost 200 (yikes!) So basically you can have 4 of those for the same amount of calories you would get out of 1 regular beer. There's also MGD 64 which only has 64 calories
  • bananamac
    bananamac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do love a good pint!

My strategy so far has been to find a way to make it work in my daily calorie goal - so if I'm going to have a pint with supper (or lunch), then I make plans to work off the calories or adjust my food intake. Or, I'll convince Boyfriend to share a pint with me so that I can still have the taste without committing to the whole thing.

I do find that I am choosing better and more interesting beers now that I'm limiting myself to only what I'm prepared to work off. I haven't had a bottle of a boring national brand in months!
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My theory is that you can't cut out the things you enjoy completely.... you just have to enjoy them in moderation. So... have a beer... or two! :) Just don't go wild doing that constantly.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i love beer and refuse to drink light beer - i would rather have one good beer than a few crappy light beers!

i generally drink stuff from microbreweries. my favorite would probably be Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I drink a few coors lights and then burn them off dancing~!!!
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Budweiser......and I think I drink more calories that I eat sometimes!!! LOL
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the micro brews lately. Especially the chocolate ones on a cold winter day!
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I cut back when I'm trying to lose.... but not drinking at all is no way to live. I'll usually give myself a free night to drink socially at least once a week... and might drink a couple during the rest of the week as long as they fit under my goals. Pretty much any light beer can be fit into a diet once in a while.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    i love beer and refuse to drink light beer - i would rather have one good beer than a few crappy light beers!

i generally drink stuff from microbreweries. my favorite would probably be Breckenridge Vanilla Porter.

One of my favorites too! I'm an IPA girl mostly though. I only like good, craft beers... Which unfortunately range in the 300-500 calories per pint.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i guess my top would be: miller genuine draft, tennents lager (really hard to find here), rickard's white, moosehead lager

but i'll drink just about anything lol
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I prefer the micro brews to the big breweries, and have even done some all grain brewing in my garage. I am a big fan of any Indian Pale Ale or English Bitter. The hoppier (I know it's not a word) the better!

Some favorites right now are:
    - Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA - IPA (USA)
    - Alley Kat Full Moon - West Coast Pale Ale (Canada)
    - Lagunitas IPA - IPA (USA)
    - Steam Whistle Brewery - Pilsner (Canada)
    - Innis & Gunn Original - (Scotland)

That being said I enjoy most other styles and haven't really found too many that I don't like. Brown ales, Hefeweizen, lagers, are also up on the list.

Life is too short to drink bad beer or coffee.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    beer isnt so bad..it can vary from 120 cals to 200 cals a bottle.

my favs are sam adams, blue moon and then local brews are always a must for me when i go out to eat.
  • jluera
    jluera Posts: 7
    Options
    mmmm...cheat days were made for beer!! I live in a city w/amazing microbrews...and really limiting when I drink has made me a super cheap date so I can afford the extra calories for a tasty porter or stout (but i will double up the cardio the next day!!)
  • bbabs93
    Options
    If I'm drinking Beer (or anything else for that matter), I do my best to eat lighter that day, less carbs (if beer). Just try and fit it in.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I like an occasional beer but have been leaning towards the ciders & rose's in the Summer :)
  • stbayn3
    Options
    Have you ever had a beer after a big workout? I hate Coors light, but after a 15 mile run one day I was offered one and that Coors light was so damn good! I have turned into quite the beer snob (microbrews only!) and make room in my calorie count for a brew or two per week. The key thing about dieting is not to eliminate the things you love to eat (or in this case, drink). Just eat it less often and in smaller portions. Everything in moderation, right? If you eliminate the things you love, your chances of diet success are minimal. If you save that brew for your cheat day, imagine how it will taste when you have behaved (nutritionally) throughout the week. Cheers!
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like to drink one good beer on weekend nights, so I am going to put it in my log in the morning to plan my calories and menu around it.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Check out our Beer Group on here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/25-mfp-brewers-and-beer-lovers

Personally I cannot stay away from my girl Guinness for too long!
  • bcraig26
    bcraig26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Guinness. A great tasting not that high of a calories beer.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I have cut SO much out of my diet.....things I love. I love beer and I am not willing to give it up....LOL.........One way or another I am going to make it fit into my daily allowances. Michelob Ultra drinker. Keeping carbs down is the biggest reason. Tried the 55 calorie ones.....but holy you have to drink a rack to feel anything.....Cheers!!!