Over 40--Can I Lose Weight?

Options
Hi! Today is my first day on My Fitness Pal. I'm 41 and would like to lose at least 25 pounds. I've been working out regularly for several months and haven't lost a pound. I'm so frustrated and want to get past the discouragement I'm feeling. And I need to get past the idea that losing weight after turning 40 is impossible. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the idea of counting calories--it seems like a lot of work. But I suppose it will take some work to undue the damage I've done! I'm excited about the supportive community on this site. I can use all the advice and encouragement I can get! Best of luck to everyone!

Replies

• andiecorbo
    Options
    I'm 43 and YES! You will lose weight!! It just takes a lot of discipline and motivation. I've regained the 15 pounds that I lost three years ago, but it was all due to binge eating and eating too many cookies with my kids and other sweets. I love to bake and that's why I made the "cockroach" chocolate cake as my photo icon--to remind me that cakes are not good for me!!

Welcome to the community and congratulations on beginning your journey to a "new you" in 2012!!

14066301.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi, I`m 43 and joined MFP 2 months ago. I gained 9 kilos after quitting smoking last year so slowly working it all back off. MFP has taught me alot about food and being accountable for what you eat. As long as your goals are realistic and you put in the effort you will lose the weight. Don`t beat yourself up if you fall of the wagon every now and then just climb back on and keep positive. You can do it!!!:smile: Add me as a friend if need support.
  • pmlewis93
    Options
    Losing weight over 40 is possible. My parents are both in mid 40's and are losing weight as we speak. Although working out helps, the most important part of losing weight is actually what you put into your body. Making sure you eat the right kinds of calories and fat calories, avoiding sugars, increasing protein.... it is all extremely important in jumpstarting your metabolism and that will make the weight peal off! Good luck.
  • lmb21
    lmb21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! I'm 41,started just over a week ago and down 9 pounds. Feel free to add me as a friend. We can do this together!
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Yes! Although it's different than when you were younger. I found cutting carbs, especially breads, pasta, potatoes, etc, and increasing my protein was a huge help. Less processed foods, more fresh fruits and vegetables. Lots of water.

You can do it. Take baby steps in changing your diet and make the changes lifestyle changes not a "diet."

Good luck!
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 have been logging for about 2 months, dieting, and losing weight, so it's possible, just need to stay focused and take it one day at a time. Add me if you'd like.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimber, YES it can be done. I am almost 58 and have lost as of today 13 lbs. (It does vary from time to time so don't get
    discouraged.) I was always trying to lose but as much as I tried nothing until I came here. If its support you need, you can get it here. Everyone is so helpful and the main thing is that it does work. You can add me if you like and we can loose together. Good luck to you.
    Karen
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Heck yes you can!! I went from 336 to my current 171 all after age 40. It might not be quite as easy as you get older, but definitely doable. Good luck.
  • jack_
    jack_ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For sure! I started a good exercise routine many months ago and have been sticking to it. That was a big change for me; however, I didn't see the weight start to come off until I also got control of my nutrition. Not only calories, but the type of calories and the timing throughout the day.
  • jack_
    Options
    For sure! I started a good exercise routine many months ago and have been sticking to it. That was a big change for me; however, I didn't see the weight start to come off until I also got control of my nutrition. Not only calories, but the type of calories and the timing throughout the day.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, will be 51 this year, and am averaging a loss of 2.9 lbs/week. My mom has lost 96 lbs and began her journey at age 69. It took her about a year and a half.
  • jack_
    Options
  • jack_
    Options
  • TrekkerCynthia
    Options
    I'm 50, will be 51 this year, and am averaging a loss of 2.9 lbs/week. My mom has lost 96 lbs and began her journey at age 69. It took her about a year and a half.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! I've seen people much older on MFP that have lost substantial weight.

I, personally, am 40 and within 4 months I lost 27 lbs (some prior to joining MFP). I didn't do anything other than eat healthy, exercise lots, and create a slight (200 or so) calorie deficit daily. It can be done.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have been here since March. I've lost 56 pounds so far. You can do it! :smile:
  • TrekkerCynthia
    Options
    Oops, my earlier post worked after all.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I',m 45 and have lost in total almost 70 lbs Since Feb 2010
    I have learned to modify and eat what ever i want in moderation
    or increase my excercise if i want more,
    There are no excuse's if you want to do it you will do it !
    It took me many years to finally figure that out :)
    Good luck :smile: this is the best place to be.
  • laurieh92
    laurieh92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and just joined MFP, but have full faith it will work. SO much encouragement, from the comfort of your own computer / smartphone. To answer your comment about counting calories being a lot of work: I thought so too (back in the years when I tried to do it) ... until MFP made it so much easier. The first week or two is a little bit of effort, but fun because almost any food you can think of is on here already (and you can add more that you like, by reading the labels and posting the info). After a week, most things you regularly eat are already on your diary, so you only have to check boxes to add for a meal. The site does all the math for you ... I LOVE IT! And what's really surprised me is how much motivation I get from the accountability of this site ... just knowing "I'll need to log that, and my numbers may go red!" makes me NOT EAT ... extra dressing, my daughter's unfinished cake, fill-in-the-blank. Good luck!!
  • jack_
    Options
    I LOVE IT! And what's really surprised me is how much motivation I get from the accountability of this site ... just knowing "I'll need to log that, and my numbers may go red!" makes me NOT EAT ... extra dressing, my daughter's unfinished cake, fill-in-the-blank. Good luck!!

ABSOLUTELY. If you need to get your nutrition under better control, journaling is the key to success!!