Vitamin D Presription - Help with Vitamins

Options
I was called from my docs office yesterday letting me know that my blood labs were in and they were giving me a script for Vitamin D it's 50000 UNT and I have to take it once a week but I was also asked to start taking Calcium and a multivitamin NOW...

I don't know what I should take what brand or what - I've never taken vitamins before.

I went out and bought Caltrate D but I was thinking about getting the gummies - has anyone tried those?

OR

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Multivitamin - I wanted to get those Flinstone Gummie vitamins but IDK if those would be good for me or if it's just for children; does anyone have any suggestions for a multivitamin?

PLEASE AND THANK YOU :)

Replies

• jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Vitamin choice is really up to you. Some people get annoying side effects from certain vitamins (e.g. I take One-A-Day Weight smart but many people find they cause nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhea) so you might have to try a few brands or formulations to find something that works for you. There are now adult chewable gummy vitamins, which might be a better choice, but really it depends on what specifically you need in a vitamin.

I know I need lots of iron, because I get anemic around TOM and I also need B vitamins for energy! Talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends or if they have samples in the office you can try.
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Vit d comes in international units. The highest I have given to my patients is 5000 iu daily. If you take 10 then that will give you your dose for the week. I think taking vitamins daily is better than taking weekly for better absorption. I would take the 5,000 daily myself. Any multivitamin will do. Even the gummies. They even have chocolate versions called viactive. Usually give calcium 600 with vit d. Caltrate will be a good one. I usually take vitamins after eating because it makes me nauseous. Try walm art they have pretty good prices on vitamins.
    Hope this doesn't confuse you even more. : )
  • jess_blonde
    Options
    Vit d comes in international units. The highest I have given to my patients is 5000 iu daily. If you take 10 then that will give you your dose for the week. I think taking vitamins daily is better than taking weekly for better absorption. I would take the 5,000 daily myself.

OP: Please take your medications as directed by your physician. If he/she wants you to take 50000IU per week rather than 5000IU per day he/she likely has a reason. If you would prefer to divide the dose TALK TO YOUR PHYSICIAN FIRST.

Vitamin D is fat soluble and studies have shown it is just as effective to take a weeks dose in one sitting as it is taking the daily dose. This dosing schedule (50000IU/week) is often used in cases of significant deficiency and is used to "fill the tank" so to speak.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/516238_4
  • winslow44238
    Options
    I take Vitamin D and Calcium too. I found out that there is some calcium that is better absorbed than others by the body and am told that the body usually absorbs plant based vitamins fater than fat or animal based ones. That is a LOT of vitamin D. I live in the Northwest and was told to get up to 5000 IU a day. I'm sure your doctor has a reason though if they say you should take 10 times that, but I would ask them. It is absorbed by sunshine too, so people in the Northwest are often deficient in it. That is why I have to take as much as I do. It helps my body absorb the Calcium which is oyster shell or some such kind. I also take Omega 3 and B complex and Magnesium, so my doc is not having me take a multi.

I really would confirm with your doc or nurse what they want you to take and what ones are better than others. My Doc gave me a sheet of paper that even broke down my options by how much in each tablet, and where to find it, even how much it was per bottle and breakdown of cost per tablet! My doctor is awesome!
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the One A Day Vita Craves Gummies Plus Immunity Support...The ones in the orange jar with an orange top. That name is just tooo long.

It's a Complete Adult Multivitamin with Antioxidants A, E & Extra C.

I just have a really hard time swallowing big ole horse pills. YUCK! So I'd always "forget" to take my vitamins. With these Gummies no problem....just chew 'em up. :)
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :)

I went with Caltrate Gummy Bites and Flintstones Complete Sour Gummies - I have a follow up appointment with my doctor on Jan. 11th so I'll be sure to get all my questions ready.

I took both of them this morning and they are delicious!

Thanks everyone!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am on vitamins for the rest of my life due to weight loss surgery. I take bariatric vitamins because they have everything in them that I need. When I was taking children's chewable vitamins, I was told to take 4 a day.
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Vit d comes in international units. The highest I have given to my patients is 5000 iu daily. If you take 10 then that will give you your dose for the week. I think taking vitamins daily is better than taking weekly for better absorption. I would take the 5,000 daily myself.

OP: Please take your medications as directed by your physician. If he/she wants you to take 50000IU per week rather than 5000IU per day he/she likely has a reason. If you would prefer to divide the dose TALK TO YOUR PHYSICIAN FIRST.

Vitamin D is fat soluble and studies have shown it is just as effective to take a weeks dose in one sitting as it is taking the daily dose. This dosing schedule (50000IU/week) is often used in cases of significant deficiency and is used to "fill the tank" so to speak.

Yes, talk with your doc and clarify. : )

I think I like the sound of weekly vit D! I will start doing that myself. I found 50,000iu on amazon. I'm a convert! Thank you, Capt_janeway.
  • jess_blonde
    Options

Yes, talk with your doc and clarify. : )

I think I like the sound of weekly vit D! I will start doing that myself. I found 50,000iu on amazon. I'm a convert! Thank you, Capt_janeway.

I'd advise talking to your doctor first. Generally loading doses like this are only done for a short time (four to six weeks) and then once the client's levels are in the acceptable range the dosing schedule is changed again to 50000IU/month or whatever is needed to maintain an adequate vitamin D level.

Also, (to the OP and nursegnet) ensure your physicians are aware that you are actively trying to lose weight. Burning fat means you may be releasing extra vitamin D into your body as the fat disappears and your dosing may need to be adjusted accordingly.