ZERO calorie food?

Options
Today I was at a health food store and saw a line of salad dressings that were zero calories, I looked some more and noticed they had jellys, marshmallow cream, peanut butter, maple syrup, dips and cream sauces etc... All zero calorie. I have to question something that is zero calories. I wonder if it can even be classified as "food"? I think the brand was Waldens or something to that effect. Has anyone heard of it, tried it, or know if it is safe? Caught my interest, but I am kinda afraid of it.

Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are if it's zero it can't be real food, so beware.
  • parrott06
    Options
    I had Kraf fat free italian dressing on my salad at lunch and it was tasty, but my thought while I was eating it was this can't be real food.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. that doesn't sound like food. Maybe when you open the container you'll find a surprise .. air!

Could be a secret ploy to get everyone on the air diet?

S
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There are two I can think of off hand.
    Water.
    Seltzer.

Like those no fat foods that have tons of sugar to make up for the taste? Read the whole label very carefully. Look at the serving size. Not kidding ... one time I noticed the croutons said 14. (I am talking about the fried ones you put into soup, not big salad ones. These are TINY.)

Also look at a serving size of Pam. It is like spraying for 2 seconds or something like that. How can that coat a pan?
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Fat free still does not mean calorie free. I am sure even the fat free dressing had at least 25 calories a tbls if not more. This stuff was calorie free.
  • LethaSue
    Options
    These are not just fat free.................. they are calorie free.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/index.html

Is that what you found? Read the nutritional information. First ingredient. Water. Then a bunch of chemicals. Do you really want to put that into your body?
  • joceyofdoom
    joceyofdoom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/index.html

Is that what you found? Read the nutritional information. First ingredient. Water. Then a bunch of chemicals. Do you really want to put that into your body?

I read some of the different ones, and there were really only one or two chemicals, mostly thickeners. Granted, I didn't look at the ice cream sauces and sweet things -- just the dressings and sauces. They had spices and what not.

I've actually had some of the fruit spreads, and they taste pretty good!
  • LethaSue
    Options
    I didn't buy any because to me it just seemed too weird. It is walden farms, after you said that I googled it and that is what it is. They actually looked good, but it says they have been around since 72, so I am thinking it must not be that good or it would of been popular enough that everyone would of heard of it by now
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy any because to me it just seemed too weird. It is walden farms, after you said that I googled it and that is what it is. They actually looked good, but it says they have been around since 72, so I am thinking it must not be that good or it would of been popular enough that everyone would of heard of it by now

Very big, very popular here. (Southern Ontario) I have 3 flavors of their dressing in my fridge rightnow. I love them. They were actually recommended to me by my nutritionist.

And look at any commercial dressing, they're filled with the same stuff, plus fat and sugar.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I read through the nutrition label and it seems most of the ingredients you can find in other foods, it doesnt seem too chemically to me. I found a big forum where they review quite a bit of their products if you want to take a look.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=404940&page=1
  • peacefulwhisper
    peacefulwhisper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just read up on this product. It looks great. I want to get the dressings, chocolate spread and mayo. I live in Newmarket, Ontario. WHere did you see these products
  • merie08
    merie08 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just bought the zero calorie ranch and all the ingredients are real food, and it tastes like ranch. I think this is awesome since I love ranch but have had to stop eating it because it has so much calories in it.
  • LethaSue
    Options
    I live in West Texas and they were at a health food store. I also have seen a few of them at Albertsons before. I found their web site after someone mentioned the correct name.
    Walden farms zero calorie foods
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    dill pickle = 0
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice + water + splenda = lemonade.

Too liquid? Freeze it and you get popsicles.

If you're talking REAL food, celery is great but it still has some calories.

Bolthouse Farms makes some very good salad dressings (fat/oil free) such as Oriental Ginger Balsamic Vinaigrette at 15cal per tbsp. My favourite is a Raspberry Merlot vinaigrette. It goes a looong way, that tbsp.

Without any nutritional value, is it still food? That's a point to be argued.

Mirii
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just went to the website and all is now clear.

The key ingredients are cellulose gel and cellulose fibre. We can't digest that so it passes right through. It's the equivalent of eating paper. I knew that this was something under development, but not that it had got to this stage.

Mind you, I don't mind eating paper if it tastes good.

EDIT -- what -exactly- is the vegetable fibre in the mayo?

Mirii
  • mshidden
    mshidden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ... celery is great but it still has some calories.

I wanted to point this out because it's a cool fact about celery

"The common misconception is that celery contains "negative calories". All foods contain calories. The way you must look at it is how many calories does one stalk of celery contain, versus how many calories it takes to digest it. According to the nutrition data website one 8 inch celery stalk contain about 6 calories. Many people believe you actually burn that off when chewing. Though celery does take a rather conscious effort to chew, chewing burns about the same amount as watching the grass grow. The calorie loss is going to be during the digestion of the celery.

Celery is actually loaded with latent energy, but the plant's composition only allows us to metabolize a small amount. The latent energy is packed tightly in the form of cellulose; a complex sugar which humans are unable to metabolize. It's not that the celery is difficult to digest, but rather it provides fewer calories than what is needed to digest it - so the overall effect is "negative calories".

Keep in mind, the amount of calories you lose is very minimal. This is not the miracle diet food. The amount of calories lost will probably be no more than 10-12 calories a day. The good thing is celery can quickly satiate your hunger, preventing you from eating other high-calorie foods.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_true_that_celery_has_negative_calories#ixzz1iYknkvnU"
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    ... celery is great but it still has some calories.

I wanted to point this out because it's a cool fact about celery

The good thing is celery can quickly satiate your hunger, preventing you from eating other high-calorie foods.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_true_that_celery_has_negative_calories#ixzz1iYknkvnU"

Hehe unless you find the stuff repulsive! Even the smell is grose haha!

But in seriousness - good post. I wish everyone on here would read it. Perhaps we might have a week off from posts containing 'eat celory because its negative and you'll get skinny really, really fast'.... :drinker:
  • Ozzyzmommy
    Ozzyzmommy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like that I cant believe it's not butter spray, and diet soda is Zero calories...
    Since reading reply's I would like to find and try some salad dressing...