Walking to the scale??

Options
As some of you know my car died the other day :sad: and I am forced, until I get my bicycle to walk everywhere. Yesterday I walked for 3 hours looking for jobs and I even carried a bag of groceries home ...so depressing I know. Anyway I am not really upset about it because now atleast I know I will be getting my exercise everyday. The thing that is really getting me down is now everytime I want to weigh in I have to walk 45 minutes to get to get to my scale. :embarassed: Since my financial pinch is so bad, I decided not to buy one, which would have been fine if my car didn't die. So I have 2 questions here:
1. If I walk 45 min to weigh myself am I going to be heavier from the exercise I just did.
2. or Should I just not weigh myself until I get a bike or more money??

I am afraid if I don't know my current weight I will lose my motivation. Any suggestions.:glasses:

Replies

• graypink0130
    Options
    As some of you know my car died the other day :sad: and I am forced, until I get my bicycle to walk everywhere. Yesterday I walked for 3 hours looking for jobs and I even carried a bag of groceries home ...so depressing I know. Anyway I am not really upset about it because now atleast I know I will be getting my exercise everyday. The thing that is really getting me down is now everytime I want to weigh in I have to walk 45 minutes to get to get to my scale. :embarassed: Since my financial pinch is so bad, I decided not to buy one, which would have been fine if my car didn't die. So I have 2 questions here:
    1. If I walk 45 min to weigh myself am I going to be heavier from the exercise I just did.
    2. or Should I just not weigh myself until I get a bike or more money??

I am afraid if I don't know my current weight I will lose my motivation. Any suggestions.:glasses:
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi GP!

Firstly sorry to hear about your car , may it RIP.

Now the answers to your questions ~

1. NO ~ and if you do...it would be so miniscule, it wouldn't be noticeable.

1. YES ~ Weigh yourself ONCE a week at least ~ it's the only way besides taking your measurements and how your clothes feel to keep yourself accountable and to make sure what you are doing is the right thing and it will keep you motivated.

Walking will also help with the stress you are feeling right now...Chin up...it's been my life experience that we usually hit rock bottom before we can rebound and come back better than ever!

When life hands you lemons...the best you can do is make lemonade! :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I was gonna write a big long diatribe on the scale, but screw it, you were smart enough to sign up for MFP, I have faith that you'll see the scale for what it is, just another tool among many.

As to whether it will hurt to walk to it, I can't see any reason why it would be anything but a good thing to walk to your weigh-in. Unless you're eating twinkies and hoho's on the way.:tongue:

As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for my time issues (I think I have about 6 minutes free time a day) I would love to walk everywhere, and try to whenever I can.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to ho ho's:bigsmile: Not to dis you banks but I believe in the scale, so I go with still find a way to weigh yourself but don't be obsessive about it. You could try the belt method, you know you are losing if you have to keep cinching your belt tighter. I'm on my second belt:tongue: See banks everything can be a tool :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hey where did my cat picture go?
  • banks1850
    Options
    I'm partial to ho ho's:bigsmile: Not to dis you banks but I believe in the scale, so I go with still find a way to weigh yourself but don't be obsessive about it. You could try the belt method, you know you are losing if you have to keep cinching your belt tighter. I'm on my second belt:tongue: See banks everything can be a tool :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hey where did my cat picture go?

no dis taken. :laugh:

a tool is a tool is a tool. I don't hate the scale, I hate how it warped and twisted my mind!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    See banks everything can be a tool :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hey where did my cat picture go?

Did you just call Banks a tool? :laugh:
  • banks1850
    Options
    See banks everything can be a tool :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hey where did my cat picture go?

Did you just call Banks a tool? :laugh:

wouldn't be the first time someone did. :noway:
  • tiangelah
    tiangelah Posts: 144
    Options
    Frankly I hate the darn scale. I think it is a tool from the devil. I hid my dang scale. But I think walking to the scale could only help you. You remember the subway guy that walked to just go and get a sub, shoots he lost alot of weight. So hey if it worked for him then it will work for you.:huh:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my daughter I did not own a car. For the first three months I had a bike that I rode everywhere, but her dad was afraid I'd get hit by a car or fall off or something, so he asked me to stop riding, which I did. At that time we lived close to everything we really needed: work, grocery store, mall, etc. So I walked, everywhere. The doctor was concerned because I was not gaining ANY weight, not enough to compensate for a baby anyway, but all the testing and ultrasounds said everything was fine. We finally got a car at about 6 months along and I gained 10 pounds the first month. YIKES. I'm saying that to point out how beneficial simple walking can be. I don't know the answer to the question you asked, but walking will be so good for you.