Struggling on day 3 :-(

Options
Its day 3 of slim fast and general healthy eating and im struggling today, The first 2 days were fine but today is rubbish lol!!

It does not help that today i decided to give up smoking so its gonna be a hard week for me, I'm trying to keep myself occupied and im gonna jump on the exercise bike in a min to keep my mind off of things!!

ARGH, i know the first week is going to be hard and i usually just give up but this time im determined to stick to it and not give up, I'm fed up with being cheating myself and saying 'i can start again tomorrow', I need to put my foot down and just do it!!!

mini vent over :-)

Anna xx

Replies

• LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, Anna & don't give up the fight! Hopefully you're on your bike by now. Kudos for kicking the smokes! Best of luck to you with your weight loss and smoke-free journey! You can do this! It's for your own good! :flowerforyou:
  • Vsez
    Vsez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't stop believing Anna. You got this!
  • gorgeousgunner
    Options
    Hey there Anna,

I found it really helpful to write a list of reasons why I wanted to lose weight and remind myself of these for motivation.

Well done, for stopping smoking, I stopped a few years ago and I love no longer being a smoker. It doesn't have to be too difficult just keep drinking plenty of water, going for walks and reminding yourself how well you are doing for making such great changes to your life.

Just take it day by day. Feel free to add me and you've made a great start by using these forums for support :-)

Laura x
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're trying to change too much too soon.

Baby steps are more likely to get you there than big leaps are as big leaps can often lead to feelings of deprivation when it comes to weight loss.

Great on giving up the ciggies...big leaps work here just fine but...

Slimfast, I dont have a problem in using it occasionally as a meal replacement (love love love the cafe latte) but doing the 321 plan would leave me wanting food. If you are doing this the 321 plan and are struggling why not make it 312 or whatever combination so you are having more food and less shake. As long as the calories are all adding up to pretty much the same it wont matter. Another problem I have with slimfast is the very high sugar, that leaves me craving as you get a sugar rush followed by an inevitable slump.

Grab some low calorie foods that you like and keep them on hand. Carrot sticks - may help with the hand to mouth action that you will miss with not smoking. Any other veg sticks tht you can julienne will work too. Laughing cow cheese goes well with these. Boiled egg whites - only 16 calories per egg white and protein fills most people for longer than carbs or fats do.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Day 3 seems to be a really tough one for me too (today is my day 3 as well!). The best thing you can do is try to keep yourself busy. Don't think too much about food or how hungry you are. Drink as much water as possible, and chew some gum. *hugs* and good luck!
  • klt2011
    klt2011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today may feel like blah, but try to think of how great you'll feel tomorrow once day 3 is behind you!
    YOU CAN DO IT!!
    :happy:
  • scva4
    scva4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try putting the money you would have spent on cig in a jar to have a visual motivation to continue not smoking. Keep it up You can do this!
  • adlwilmot
    adlwilmot Posts: 117
    Options
    Hmmm.... does Slim Fast not go against almost everything MFP stands for??

As soon as I saw the title of your thread and before I got to read any of the main body, I immediately came up with a solution for you: "Go and do some exercise, then scratch your itch with the extra calores". BUT, if you're following a really rigurous diet such as Slim Fast (as I know it, anyway), this is not an option open to you.

Personally I would recommend that you go with the calorie allowance MFP gives you, do some research as to what is healthy and what isn't, making sure you get all your vitamins, etc, etc, and that way you CAN eat more when you're struggling by just doing the relevant exercise to compensate.

By the way, I'm on day 21 of not smoking and have managed this despite two deaths and bloody Xmas! I won't post on here how I'm doing it because I'll get done for advertising on the company's behalf, but if you want to know what it is I'm using, feel free to message me.

I agree that you're trying to do too much at the same time BUT, it is very much achievable, just not in the way you appear to be doing it right now. x
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this, you've got me for support!

Love Mummy x x x x x
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for taking on weight loss and smoking cessation at the same time.
    I know you didn't really ask for advice but I will say this... IMO, take that Slim Fast and throw in the garbage right next to your cigarettes. Eat some real food. Especially with the fact that you're trying to quit smoking too.
    Fresh fruits, vegetables, healthy fats like nuts, water and lean meats are all you need to lose weight successfully. And the nice thing is, because of their low calories, you can actually eat when you're hungry.
    I would also recommend some sugar free mints or gum to help with the cigarette cravings. I smoked for 26 years and quit "cold turkey" almost 5 years ago. Hardest thing I ever did but I had the same attitude as you. I was ready to quit and tired of making excuses.
    You can do it. Don't take it one day at a time, take it one minute at a time. That attitude helped me.

Good luck!
  • avg1986
    avg1986 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, i know a lot of people are against slim fast but im not doing it religiously, like today i had a shake for breakfast bit will be having food for lunch because im really hungry then maybe porridge for dinner as i know that i will still he quite full from lunch hut i will have to eat at around 6pm because otherwise i will get really hungry about 9 and i dont want to eat that late!!

Went on my bike for 20 mins before my 3 yr old son decided he wanted to climb on too lol!!

I will get through this, really helps with all the support on these forums and help from my biggest inspiration being my mum, love you xx
  • chargermama0501
    Options
    you go this anna! keep your head up and think about how great you'll feel tonight when your day is over and you can celebrate bc you stuck to another day of a healthier life for yourself. you wont have to wake up tommorrow feeling defeated.

Personally I have to remind mtyself .....you dont gain 50lbs at a time, so you're def not gonna lose 50lbs at a time....one step at a time doll!

*Tiffany*
  • skrapbooker4life
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of slimfast! Trying to mix up my usual eating plan to lose some of the added Holiday weight! Keep it up!!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what method a person uses to lose weight, if a certain method works for them that's fine, the main thing is that there is a weight loss.

Love you Anna x x x
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    The first week of a new diet is always the hardest. Remind yourself that you need to get through that first week and things will get easier then... Smaller goals you can process are a lot easier to focus on!

I must agree I couldn't do the 321 Slimfast diet either, but best of luck to you!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking a few years ago, I feel your pain. If you'd like some advice, I'd say focus on smoking first, that's more harmful to your health than eating to excess. I'd still say try to eat healthy, but if you need an extra serving of pasta or what-have-you so you don't go for the smoke, I would say do it.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you!