snacking at night

Options
I find I get hungry at night. It is frustrating. I try to ignore it but end up giving in. What does everyone snack on that helps curve cravings?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I dont snack on anything... I make sure that each meal I consume is well balanced and focuses on the target foods I have to consume... not to mention, I probably drink enough water to serve to a small country! LOL!
  • avg1986
    avg1986 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tuck into a snack bar or cereal bar, especially the coco pop ones as they are chocolatey and if kept in the.fridge they take a bit longer to eat!! I know its jot a healthy option as a piece of fruit would be but if i have a craving for something sweet then one.of those helps me out!! X
  • slendiferous
    Options
    I have the same problem.. I just try to stay busy. If I'm doing something I tend to want to munch less than if I'm sitting around.
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    I make a big pot of peppermint tea. If I really fancy something sweet I'll chuck a few sweetener tablets in, but the peppermint tea alone curbs hunger, too, and it's a nice hot drink to sip for 2 cals per teabag!

You can also plan your evening meal first thing in the morning. Make sure it will be something that is filling but healthy. You're then able to dedicate as many calories as you need to, to that meal... And divide the rest sensibly around the rest of the day. Some people eat more at lunch, others eat more at teatime - be aware of what you need and work around that.

Good luck!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like green beans straight from the can, (low sodium). its my emergancy go to snack & I can stock up on them so I always have them on hand. I take about 1/2 out & eat one at a time, making my 'snack' last longer.

If I crave salty, I go for pickle chips -bread & butter or dill. But last night it was popcorn :)
  • krika1
    krika1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I may try the peppermint tea. Maybe it's not even hunger maybe it's just out of habbit. Either way I need to stop it. Thanks for everyones advise!
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    just figure snacking into you plan for the day, and there are zero problems. I usually go with a pudding for 100 calories, or a few cups of dry cereal, maybe air-popped popcorn, etc. no reason to not snack if you make room in your day. just do it smartly.
  • gymshoe42
    gymshoe42 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it's 9:51pm where I am and i just sat down with a big glass of water and a bowl of brazil nuts/cashews/almonds.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I work them into my diary....I do the 60-70 calorie pudding cup, raisins and sometimes nuts...I even made a category called "after dinner snack".
  • LornaB23
    LornaB23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure you aren't skipping breakfast. That can be a cause of this. Have a healthy breakfast and make a good start to the day.
  • KP5555
    KP5555 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is my problem area also... I get home from work at midnight, and I want to snack/eat.... My plan is drink water and go to bed.
  • kuwick66
    Options
    I find that I can mistake being hungry and wanting a snack when I'm actually a bit thirsty. Sometimes it's just an oral fixation and you want something in your mouth. I find that crushed ice with a twist of citrus helps me. Quenches my thirst and also gives me the sensation that I am eating something.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough breakfast and lunch, I will get hungry at night.

Since my daily calorie allotment is about 1700 calories, I try to get about 1100 between breakfast and lunch. Doing this, I don't have cravings any more.
  • crhaws
    crhaws Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's a problem area for me too. I just ate some goldfish crackers, but I have been trying to have chamomile tea at night instead. Forgot my willpower today though...
    :)
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I munch on ice chips - just ice cubes smashed up. I still get a bit of a crunch. If I'm in dire need of something with a bit more taste I have an emergency stash of frozen grapes in the freezer :)
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Funny I should happen upon this question right now because at the moment I'm snacking on 1/2 cup of dry Cheerios. They're only 50 calories and have the added bonus of 2 grams of fiber, not to mention being packed with nutrients and the goodness of oats. It's my favorite "I've GOT to have something before bed" snack. : )
  • lilangelofgod247
    Options
    A tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Also, this may sound weird, but I read a lot of different things about the benefits of unpasteurized organic apple cider. If you drink a teaspoon of that, added into a full glass of water, it will regulate your blood sugar levels and get rid of a "sweet" craving. I tried it and it def worked. I squeezed a lemon in it and some ppl add a tiny bit of splenda for taste.
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    First I try to see if I'm actually hungry or just bored, by drinking a glass of water. Then, if I'm still hungry, I usually have a bowl of healthy cereal or a one-scoop protein shake, for my evening snack. Keeps me full during the night and I don't wake up hungry.