what to eat/drink aftet the gym

Options
when i come out of the gym i have no idea what to eat! i generally drink lots of water and sometimes a lucozade sport drink. but i never really know what to eat.
i want to lose weight and tone up but i dont want to 'bulk up'
preferably something i can take with me as i generally dont go home after the gym!!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome, I see this is your first post.

What do you do in the gym, how long do you do it for and how hard do you work? You don't really need a sports drink unless you're sweating heavily for an hour or more, and then it should have some electrolytes in. Lucozade sports drink is evil and full of empty calories so best avoided!

It's best to grab something within half an hour of working out. I often time my gym sessions so I have my normal dinner immediately afterwards and don't have an extra snack or meal. If you're doing weight training, grab something with some protein. I like real meat or fish but many MFPers like protein shakes. If you've done heavy cardio you might want to look at replenishing your carbs - perhaps a cereal bar. If you've done a mix of both, something like half a chicken sandwich or some cheese spread on crispbread would do the trick.
  • dan428
    dan428 Posts: 14
    Options
    You're a girl right? 99% of girls won't "bulk up" because they don't have enough testosterone to gain muscle like that. If you see women bulking up, they're probably taking steroids..

Anyway, as a guy, I drink a protein shake after working out.. though probably this wouldn't be what you'd want to do unless you're lifting weights. You definitely need the water though. I'd say eat something with a fair balance of protein and carbs to feed your aching muscles. The protein is necessary to repair tissue and muscle damage which tends to occur after intense exercise, and the carbs are necessary to provide quick energy to those processes of rebuilding your body's glycogen reserves.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, and aren't hungry, don't eat.

Best thing to do is listen to your body.

This stuff about refuelling after exercise is only useful for athletes, if you refuel with lucozade you're taking in needless calories when your aim should be to avoid them at all costs,

Definitely look to rehydrate though. One of the zero cal sports drinks, or plain water, are good choices.
  • ukjake3
    ukjake3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I as well am not trying to "bulk up". I am a guy, just trying to cut weight. I generally drink a gatorade 3 protein drink that you can get at any grocery store on my way to work after working out. It's something to re-hydrate you while putting back in things your body needs. You're body will need some protein after you work out, even if not "bulking up".
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    when i come out of the gym i have no idea what to eat! i generally drink lots of water and sometimes a lucozade sport drink. but i never really know what to eat.
    i want to lose weight and tone up but i dont want to 'bulk up'
    preferably something i can take with me as i generally dont go home after the gym!!
    I immediately eat a protein bar and drunk a glass of water.
    If possible, a smoothie.

It's good for muscle recovery.
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    protein generally is best although straight after a workout is the best time to eat anything as your metabolism is raised. but i'd say your best bet is some roast chicken or a pack of cooked chicken tikka/whatever or turkey.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    Anything with a good amount of protein. That helps your muscles recover faster. Protein drink, bar, glass of mik, peanut butter, etc
  • yabbo24497
    yabbo24497 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A great thing to do is to have something with protein in it. One of my favs is half a banana (they're fatty, so I don't eat a whole), a table spoon of natural peanut butter, one cup of skim milk, and about 4 ice cubes. It's low in calories and has a decent amount of protein to help your muscles recover even if you're only doing cardio. It also has potassium, which will aid in cramping. When I use weights, I'll add the whole banana.
  • salomall
    Options
    there are no right or wrongs, just eat what you fancy. your body is very good at telling you what it needs, so trust your gut instinct (pun intended). top tip, don't go to the gym when you're hungry, or you'll quit early and get loads to eat afterwards.
  • lejlash
    Options
    Depends on what you do...if you're lifting any weights (and you should - building more muscle helps you burn more calories), and if you're exercising vigorously, I would eat half a cup of low fat cottage cheese and a couple of deli sliced lean turkey - you're looking for most protein, with least amount of calories. Cottage cheese to me is a great deal. Good luck!
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    I workout in the evening and mix a scoop of strawberry-flavored whey protein with some water. If I have not had many carbs that day or if I worked out very hard, I add a cup of milk (light soy or skim cow's).

If you have the time, do some research on the effects of strength training and various diets - I was surprised to find that some studies of strength training showed a conservation of lean mass and loss of body fat even when subjects were undergoing a water fast. I don't recommend something that stringent but it made me think twice about consuming a sugary post-workout drink!

Cheers
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is a great way to get lots of nutrients without a lot of calories (80-90 cals per cup). Your body can absorb more efficiently after a workout, so it's a good time to get something healthy.
  • WhiteButterfly
    Options
    ive only started going to the gym again recently, i did used to go twice a week but suffered a knee injury, had surgery, months of physio and were still not at the bottom of it and its not going away anytime in the near future, after my physio i dropped out of uni cause i was so behind and spent 6/7 days a week working so i didnt have time to go to the gym but answers the question why did i gain so much weight and get untoned! (i sit down at my job, it sucks, im obly working 16 hours a week now cause im back at uni..anyway..

the guys at the gym were really good and have written me a 'programme' to introduce my body back into going to the gym which will be reveiwed in 3 weeks and changed to match my progression .. at the moment my programme is:

cross trainer for 6 mins (adding 2 mins each week) so im not on 8 minutes, will be 10 when i next go

cycle machine switching every 2 mins between level 3 and level 6, adding 4 mins (2 of each level) everyweek, so i currentlky do a total of 8 mins and will be 12 when i next go

then theyve got me doing some of the resistance machines:

chest press - 15kg - 2 sets of 12 reps

shoulder press - 15kg - 2 sets of 12 reps

Lat pull down - 15 kg - 2 sets of 12 reps

abductor - 20kg - 2 sets of 15 reps

also the leg press 2 sets of 15 reps but i cant remeber the weight (its written on my programme sheet at the gym)

so im not really doing alot but it does really take it out of me ( i know its terrible im so rediculously unfit!)
    ohh i also sit in the sauna for a bit afterwards :) i like the sauna!

i have also started playing some of the fitness games on my wii (just dance 3 in sweat mode, zumba, shape boxing)
    yes i am a girl and im 21 if that helps

when i say lucozade i do mean those lite no calerie things they do (they sell them cheap in the gym and im not really a fan of water so its preferable to me!)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I like a piece of bread with an egg :) and a tooooon of water
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    i drink a 100 calorie protein shake :-) and lots of water
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is a great way to get lots of nutrients without a lot of calories (80-90 cals per cup). Your body can absorb more efficiently after a workout, so it's a good time to get something healthy.

^^this exactly^^ or soymilk, which is what I drink.
  • Sloth_Jog
    Options
    LOW OR NON-FAT CHOCOLATE MILK

(or something w/ protein) within 30 minutes of workout , then re-hydrate w/ water later at home.
  • lovulll
    lovulll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of exercise you do, but should have some smal amount of protein along with a natural carbohydrate to replenish your system. Along with lots of water. Stay away from things that come in a can, like the sports drinks, gatorade, etc. They have a lot of sugar and HFCS which add not only empty calories, but nothing that your body really needs. If you have done heavy cardio, then water is fine and something like a turkey sandwich with lettuce or tomato, or your regular dinner of protein, veggies (as carbs) and some water. Your body will thank you. I eat a normal meal after a workout, which usually is a salad with protein (like fish shrimp), or fish and steamed veggies, chicken and veggies, etc.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Protein of some sort. And lots of water.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Beer, it'll give you more muscles.