Today is my birthday

Options
Happy New Year everyone~
Today is my birthday, and I am so concerned about how to handle it. I have been eating a generally low carb diet, but today, I know there will be an office party, a lunch date, a cake this evening, etc....I am looking for some suggestions. How do I participate? I LOVE cake..it has always been a downfall of mine. Do I try to enjoy with sensible portions, or do I test my willpower and just say NO to it all? Your thoughts are very much appreciated!!

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Just enjoy yourself it's only one day of the year! ..anything you put on will be water and it will be off again in afew days, if you go very low carb for next few days after and drink loads of water.
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If your most excited about the cake definitely have a piece. Perhaps make sensible choices at breakfast and at your lunch date if possible. See if you can guilt someone into doing a birthday workout with you! mostly do what will make you happy which should be true every day but especially today!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it...it is your birthday & comes once a year. Enjoy in moderation if you can! Or just take a day off!
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!
    I would give in to a little bit of cake today. But don't go to the 'Oh I had one piece and ruined my diet, I might as well have another piece and some chocolate and....'. Drink lots of water, don't weigh yourself for 2 days and you'll be back on track! Enjoy it!
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!
    I would pick out some of the healthier options at the lunch party - like fruit or veggies if they have it. At the lunch date, eat like you normally would. There is no reason to go off your low carb diet for that. And as for the cake - I would have some but take a small piece of it. As long as you are enjoying yourself, your co-workers and friends wont mind that you are not stuffing your face. =) Have a good one!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    First and foremost...Happy Birthday!!! :flowerforyou:

I think that is what is so great about this site, you don't have to deprive yourself of anything! If you are really concerned of going way over board today, then just eat to maintenance. That way you don't affect yourself either way, up or down. Drink lots of water and enjoy yourself!
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My birthday was Tuesday, and I know it is pretty much the worst time of the year (dietwise) to have a b-day! Luckily, a lot of my coworkers forgot about mine (as it was our first day back to work after the holidays). The friends that DID remember are also watching what they eat, so that definitely helped. We went out for a nice (healthy) meal, and that was that. I have had many years where people show up with cupcakes, tarts, candy, and more at my desk. If you end up in a situation like that, maybe just do as the other posters suggested: enjoy a small treat (or two) and don't worry about it. It is your birthday and it's just once a year. :) And happy birthday!!!
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply...I appreciate your feedback very much!
  • JennysMan
    Options
    Enjoy it...it is your birthday & comes once a year. Enjoy in moderation if you can! Or just take a day off!

^^ This...a healthy lifestyle is not about feeling shackled to a regimen. It's about learning to consistantly make healthy choices. However, most people (like me), do need endulgences to not feel deprived. Happy birthday and I hope you truly enjoyt it!!!!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you!!!
    My Mother-in-Law's birthday was in November. I had a piece of ice cream cake (the recommended serviing) and I logged it. Definitely enjoy the cake. It's your birthday and it only comes around once a year.
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
    It's my husbands birthday today too lol. I would say stop stressing and just enjoy it. If you worry about it too much, you won't enjoy the day. Although dieting, I think its perfectly fine to eat naughty things every now and again. If you don't, you'll get bored and slip into bad habits. Most things are ok, in moderation. You can't deny yourself a bit of cake on your birthday!

Enjoy your day
  • Caylee320
    Caylee320 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Just making this post shows you will be able to make mindful choices today. It's your day HAVE FUN.
  • Why don't you try baking it yourself? There are many delicious options you can make that are low calorie so that you can enjoy your cake...and eat it too! I've tried a couple of her recipes and they're delicious :)

http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/DoingDessert

If you do not want to make your own cake/dessert, then I recommend that you are extra mindful of what you eat today and do a super vigorous workout. Make sure you put everything you eat today on your food diary and especially how many calories you worked out today AND put in the calorie count of how much cake you PLAN to eat as well. Usually, when I plan my day in advance and put in everything that I will put in my mouth in my food diary it makes my goals extra concrete and I'm less likely to eat more!

Good luck on your special day and Happy Birthday!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    its your bday! enjoy a little cake and dont over think it... as long as you log it you will be fine
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT!!!

It's your Birthday! Enjoy it!!!

Happy Birthday!!!! :D
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Enjoy, your cake..And just forget about the worries today! Do your best, Have the cake and no regrets! Its your day!
    Have fun!
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    enjoy whatever you eat today but make sure to write it down so you can log it. you may find you didn't do so bad afterall. Happy Birthday
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Relax and enjoy- just don't over do it and you'll be fine.
  • peacejoyandhappiness
    Options
    This is YOUR DAY! The anniversary of the day you entered this world and through it all you are still here. Enjoy your piece of cake and you can still stay under your calorie intake or just at the mark. AND, if you happen to indulge today, because we are all human. Tomorrow will be a new day. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND HAPPY NEW YEAR. STAY CONNECTED TO THIS AWESOME WORLD OF SUPPORT! ;O)
  • slimmingdownsteph
    slimmingdownsteph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    have a splurge! this is your special day! it comes ONCE a year! :)
    you can always get back on track tomorrow.

have a happy birthday!!