Sooo ready to be healthy!

JondaC
JondaC Posts: 42 Member
My name is Jonda. I am 32 years old. I have been overweight almost my whole life. I experienced some pretty traumatic events in my childhood, and turned to food very early on. I have never had many friends. Partly because I'm very shy, and partly (I believe) because of my weight. I have been married for 7 1/2 years, but we are currently separated. I am pretty satisfied with my work life right now, and surprisingly with my relationship status as well. The entire time I was married, I tried to become pregnant, with no success.

For much of my life, food has been my only friend. When someone rejected me, food was there. When someone made fun of me, food was there. When someone called me fat, food was there. When someone died, food was there. When I was stressed, food was there. When I was hurt, upset, angry..., food was there. I didn't realize that the thing that was comforting me, was really hurting me.

I have lost weight and gained it all back (plus some), more times than I can count. I have been on a "diet" almost all my life. I think maybe I have been afraid of losing the weight. My deepest desire is to be thin and healthy. But, I have been afraid of failure. I have been afraid of being hurt when I get thin. I have been afraid of losing it all, only to gain it back again. I have been afraid of having loose skin. I have been afraid that even after I put in all of the hard work to lose the weight, I still won't be happy with myself. So it has been easier to just ignore it than to try and fail.

My friend told me about MFP and I am so glad that she did! I am loving it so far! I would like to meet other people who can keep me motivated, inspired, and accountable. Because, like the title says...I am sooo ready to be healthy!

Replies

• acdeed
    acdeed Posts: 36 Member
    Feel free to add me! I'm happy to offer support and motivation!
  • gebe1231
    gebe1231 Posts: 60 Member
    Hi! My name is Georgette! I soooo know what your saying! I've been on here for 6 days so far & am loving it! Please add me!
  • hollyh54
    hollyh54 Posts: 4 Member
    me too

14285940.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hollyh54
    hollyh54 Posts: 4 Member
    starting slow
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    I know what you mean about eating your emotions. I tend to do the same thing. But I've taken control of my eating and keep a record of everything I eat and that has been an eye opener. I'm also in therapy to get over past traumatic experiences. Feel free to add me as we can all use more friends.
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    You know, I only joined MFP because all i wanted was a calorie tracker app on my phone. I didn't realize it was a social networking site till I checked out the online site. It is so great to see so much support on here (i've only been on MFP a couple of days)! I have never tried "dieting" before, and I don't really consider this dieting, but it is forcing me to pay more attention to what I put in my body.

Cheers to being on a new journey OP!
  • I know exactly how you are feeling I am a stress eater also. But these past few months I have been learning not to look to bad foods when I am stressed.

Please feel free to add me if you want.
  • Jonda, I am right there with you girl. Like you I have had some trauma in my life and food was always there. I am so ready to be healthy. 2012 is the year of change. I have 79 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight of 150. This site is so great. I love the logging and the support and the no cost. We can do this together.