WOMEN- How did you drop the baby weight after pregnancy? - S

Options
My husband and i are planning on trying for a baby this year and I was wondering how quickly did you get back into shape and how did you lose the baby weight? Thanks. - Sia Bevis

Replies

• thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Lol- sorry, please don't think of me as an example then, I had 4 pregnancies in 5 years, and now I am losing the weight. My youngest 'baby will be eleven in 6 weeks!
  • Marebare74
    Options
    Breastfeeding! And stay active during pregnancy so that you don't have a bunch of extra to burn off!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding! And stay active during pregnancy so that you don't have a bunch of extra to burn off!

This. And eat healthy. Pregnant women do need slightly more calories than non-pregnant women, but it's something like 200 calories a day in the third trimester. It's not a lot. Pregnancy doesn't have to be an excuse to eat everything in sight.

Personally, I had little problem losing the pregnancy weight and then some, just because of breastfeeding and eating right. I packed my pounds on after my youngest weaned and I kept eating like I was still making milk. :laugh: Don't do that.
  • MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding. I lost all of the baby weight within two weeks after each of my children were born. HOWEVER, each time I weaned one of my children, I gained back every. single. pound!!! Ugh! I have a few friends who have experienced this as well. I definitely recommend planning to adjust your diet when you wean if you BF your little one.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Does breastfeeding take a toll on your breasts?
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

No. Pregnancy is what takes a toll on your breasts. Breastfeeding doesn't change them.
  • loserforlife
    Options
    no weight and pregnancy itself does Trust me I had 7 babies
  • LauraRobb222
    LauraRobb222 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found nursing my baby to be an amazing way to take good care of the baby and me too! The nursing burns up so many calories that I lost a lot of weight and in fact if I was doing the same right now I would eat more than I did. I had my baby the first part of November and I was looking great in a bikini the third month of the new year. I gained 40 pounds during pregnancy, lost 25 pounds within 24 hours of the birth and the rest over the next few months. Eating well helped me feel good enough to nurse. I ate protein at every meal, vegetables at every meal but breakfast, drank milk and ate whole grain pasta and breads, nuts, fruits, you know the routine. I felt wonderful while pregnant. I was strong and energetic. I worked out until the 8th month. I loved being pregnant and enjoyed giving birth too! :heart:
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options

No. Pregnancy is what takes a toll on your breasts. Breastfeeding doesn't change them.

Everyone is different, I'm a whole cup size smaller after feeding 3 babies. But definitely breast feeding will help with weight loss IF you use it properly. You need to drink an extra Litre of water a day if you are breast feeding, sometimes you actually feel hungry but your actually thirsty. After my first, I ballooned to I-don't-know-how-heavy because I was constantly eating, Then with my second I started eating properly, exercising and drinking LOTS of water and the weight just fell off. That's what I did with my 3rd as well, now my youngest is 1yr old and I'm 10kgs (20lbs) lighter than before I became pregnant.

Remember give yourself about 6wks after birth to get back full blown into exercising as your body is still recuperating (love spell check :)
  • keggen
    keggen Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Same as you have already heard. Breastfeeding, be fit before you are pregnant, and stay active while pregnant. I did lots of Pilates before pregnancy and as much as I could during and that helped a lot. I didn't feel extra hungry while pregnant, just added some extra yogurt and fruit, but breastfeeding made me super-hungry.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I threw that baby in a stroller and walked for an hour every day. That's how I lost my second 20 lbs. My first 20 lbs I lost by eating better. My third 20 lbs I lost by leaving the baby at home and jumping on a treadmill then an elliptical.

Then I gained back that 20 lbs and came here. :)

I went from 200 to 250 when I got pregnant. Lost 20 lbs in the first two weeks. Went from 230 to 190 on my own. Lost another 30 since I've been here. My goal is to be 130.

**If you START out pregnant at a healthy weight, and you stay active and mind your eating, then you should gain a reasonable amount of weight and it won't be hard to lose.**

If you do like me and GET pregnant already 70 lbs over weight and eat nothing but pizza and chocolate ice cream and gain 50 lbs... Then you have bigger issues to deal with. :happy:

You'll do fine, because unlike me, you're thinking about it and planning ahead of time. Good luck with your family. :)
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is recommending breast feeding but for some folk (like myself) breastfeeding was not on option. My son had a latching problem and began to lose weight to fast (he was only 5 lb at birth). Because of his weight loss he couldn't hold a good body temperature. Even my lactation consultant pushed for formula (sadface!). We tried losely to breastfeed and then at 6 weeks I just switched all together to formula.

When I was preggo I was unable to workout with him due to my schedule and health complications so I would recommend continuing your workouts if you are able. He was also a c-section child so it took me a bit longer to recover after birth. I'm writing all this because pregnancy can be a breeze for most..but for some there are many factors that may make it a bit harder to chew. Since I gained with him it was 9 months on and 9 months off. All my baby weight is gone, but my shape is very different.

Being pregnant was a very stressful time for me so overall the quickest way to drop the baby weight is to make sure you have a stress free environment before you get pregnant and focus on what you are able to do. Hopefully you are one of those healthy fit mamas with no complications! I have a friend who is a crossfit fiend and is still doing it while 5 months preggo!! Plan ahead, be mentally healthy, and keep moving.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am a male, so I don't know from experience, but all the woman I know that got right back in shape had two things in common; they breastfed and they all had strong foundations of lean muscle mass before they had they child, so their metabolism didn't really slow down. Also, staying active and eating healthy foods helps.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    All the posters are right about breastfeeding -- it does burn more calories.

But Iheartsushi is RIGHT-- not everyone can do it. It's not automatic, for mother OR baby. It all depends on circumstances and nature. If you have a good lactation consultant (like mine), they can guide you without making you feel guilty if you (or the baby) does not respond to straight breastfeeding.

I started out breastfeeding w/both my kids, but they lost weight, too (like Iheartsushi). I eventually had to pump milk for both of them. Pumping makes your body react like you're actually breastfeeding (you keep making milk, burning a little more calories), and you can then give it to your baby in a bottle mixed w/formula if you need to. Pumping does take time, and that's time away from your baby. I did it long enough to give them the benefits of the extra immunities in the milk, but I stopped doing it when my kids were 3 months old. You will find what's right for you -- don't let anyone make you feel like there's just one way to handle it.

As for weight, I gained 60-70 lbs. with both babies, even though I ate healthier with #2. I've always worked out, so I had some muscle mass going in, but was probably carrying an extra 10-15 lbs. with my 2nd. An experienced OB/GYN nurse told me that some women will gain a certain amount of weight each time, no matter what. She was thin, and gained 75 lbs. with each pregnancy no matter what she did. I also had two 9-lb. boys, and inherited a thyroid issue after my 2nd, so there can be a lot of factors that influence how much you gain. Be reasonable, but don't beat yourself up, either. Pregnancy does a lot to your body, and demands a lot.

The only way I finally lost ALL my pregnancy weight was getting on MFP and tracking calories -- and my youngest is now 4. (You can see some of my "before" photos in my profile). It's amazing how 200-300 extra calories a day keeps those last pounds on. I'm now at a weight I haven't been since BEFORE I was married, just from tracking a little better, and increasing my workouts.

Good luck with everything!! It's an amazing journey.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The baby weight came off easily, it's the toddler weight that has plagued me. It showed up from snacking to stay awake and not making time to exercise.

Eat well during pregnancy - healthy food, not in excess. Move and exercise throughout -- it will make the birth easier as well. I gained about 30lbs with each baby, and it was gone when I returned to work 8 weeks post partum.

Breastfeeding does help, and is wonderful for the baby and can be more convenient for the mom, but not everyone can produce. That's why the profession of wet nurse has been around for a few millenia (think Moses if you are of a Judeo-Christian persuasion). I did not produce enough to satisfy my kids, and the combination of nursing/pumping and bottlefeeding left me the inconveniences of both and the conveniences of neither, so we quickly transitioned to bottles only and my kids are great.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    Thankyou all for the help.. Im very excited to start this journey- Sia Bevis
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was unable to breastfeed... so losing the weight took me a bit longer I think.
    They say if you gain the pregnancy weight in 9 months.. that you should give yourself 9 months to lose it. This actually seems to be pretty valid. --At least it was for me.

Number one thing I would advise is DO NOT try to go buy cute jeans within a month of giving birth. You probably won't fit into them.. and you'll feel like crap. haha I went to American Eagle about a month after giving birth and I remember not fitting into like any pairs (I still had a lot of extra skin around my tummy).. and melted down in the store. haha Must've been pretty funny to watch though. I'll chalk that up to hormones. ;)