I have knee problems, anything on excerise?

Options

Replies

• nelsoji
    nelsoji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can't tell if you are looking for types of excercises that are low-impact, but I have had surgery on both my knees (ACL's.......) and what really helped me get the strength back was swimming. Good cardio workout and helps strengthen your knees without the constant pounding that running causes on them. Another option is cycling, but I just enjoy swimming more than I do cycling - so that is what worked best for me!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Depends on the knee problems. Mine get better when I strengthen my legs. (Very important to not get an imbalance, a lot of people neglect their hamstrings.)
  • nelsoji
    nelsoji Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    wellbert is exactly right - the more I was able to strengthen the muscles around the knee (through squats, hamstring exercises, etc) the better my knees felt. When you go through physical therapy that is basically what they concentrate on!!
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Stretch and rest are two key elements to making yourself recover faster and healthier. Also, you may look into supplements like fish oils, etc.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Can't tell if you are looking for types of excercises that are low-impact, but I have had surgery on both my knees (ACL's.......) and what really helped me get the strength back was swimming. Good cardio workout and helps strengthen your knees without the constant pounding that running causes on them. Another option is cycling, but I just enjoy swimming more than I do cycling - so that is what worked best for me!

I agree totally......I cannot do most of the strengthening exercises others suggest as it is too painful....I couldn't do a squat if you paid me!!!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. If you're looking to do cardio, something like an elliptical would be better than running - less impact on the knees. If you're looking to do strength training, I think it would depend somewhat on what type of knee problems you have (ie, are they just a stiff/sore joint? Arthritis? Or some sort of recent injury?)
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have had osteoarthritis in my left knee since I was about 17, and the other knee wasn't far behind. Had surgery on the one knee when I was about 16 and everything went to crap (was having problems for 4 years before that, though). I agree - the more I strengthen my legs, the better they feel. My knees used to pop out all the time and I'd have to work to get them back in place. Now they do it rarely and always snap right back on their own. I fully believe it's because my muscles are strong enough now to keep my kneecap in its place. :) Take it slow and build from there.

And, for the record, swimming isn't always the best option. Trying to swim last summer my knees popped out constantly in the water when I tried to kick. Walking/jogging in the water was good though, so that's a good option. Also walking ...and wall squats - just a few to start and build from there. Find what works best for you!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    3 surgeries from a torn PCL (not the easy ACL like most people do--figures!) Excess weight definitely makes it hurt, regular exercise makes it better. I take triple-strength Osteo-Biflex and once it builds up it does work for me. There is a naturally occuring lubricant in our joints, senovial oil (may not be spelled right) but it just sits there until you work the joint to pump it around. I swear I can feel it moving once I start to sweat! You may be uncomfortable for awhile, but as long as it's not really bad sharp pains, you can push thru it. don't forget 20 min of ice if you are swollen and achy.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Do you use a foam roller at all, they really helped my knees when I thought it was a problem from tearing teh ligament years ago. My PT told me it was the IT Band that actually runs down your thigh and when stretched feels like a pain at or just below the knee - I wouldn't like to advise as I am not qualified but this may be of use to you I can at least tell you the exercises I was given to help mine and it really did.
  • bea2304
    Options
    Hi there,
    Swimming is really good but I have really enjoyed Yoga.
    It's good for everyone. I have been doing it for nearly a year now and have noticed a big difrence in my ballance and in my flexibilty.
    It's low impact and should be ok for you.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My parents do deep water aerobics, and I am going to see what a different gym has to offer in the pool. Just keep it low impact.