Anyone here hypothyroid?

Options
Just wondering if anyone else here is hypothyroid? I have hashimoto's and I am post-menopausal. I've seen a big slow down in my metabolism in the last five years.

I know that the basic premise of losing weight is less calories and more exercise. I would be happy to lose an average of 1-2 pound a week.

In the past, I have been perfect with logging in and eating the recommended amount of calories, exercised for an hour 7 days a week and drank 8 glasses of water but not seen the scale move - got frustrated and slide back into old habits.

I do take medication for the thyroid - armour.

Just wondering if those of you who might be struggling with a sluggish metabolism if you have found anything to help get it jump started.

Thanks,
Donna

Replies

• rachel121781
    rachel121781 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroid last week and started on meds last friday so I have no advice but I am also looking for some help. I had a baby 8 months ago and have been having a very hard time getting the weight to come off and I assume it has something to do with my thyroid so any advice to get my metabolism jumpstarted is welcome. I am so over feeling exhausted all the time
  • healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroid:) and I've gone from 145lbs to 110-115lbs. It's possible!
  • mkath4
    mkath4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid since I was 17. I am 43 now. It was easy to keep/maintin my weight through high school and college, but as I got older it became more difficult. I have found that if I am good about my food intake and exercise, I can maintain my weight. Once you are on meds, you thyroid should be functioning normal. There isn't any reason to gain weight, but again, as we get older it is harder to keep off.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was born with mine not working and never had weight issues through childhood and adulthood until I got mobility problems in my early 30's.

I discovered after finding MFP about a link between wheat and nut intolerances (also have nut allergy) and thyroid problems so went wheat-free/low carb around end aug/beg sept and dropped 16lbs over the next... 6 week roughly after only losing 3 lb a month for the first 3 months.

I'm very low carb at minute until I reach my goal weight but will increase other carbs as I get closer but I'm planning on staying mostly wheat free for life now and switched to gluten free bread.

I was 12st 7 in June, lost 32 lbs and now 10st 3 (145lbs)... my goal weight is 129lbs (9st 3) as I'm trying to complete Wii fit and thats what it says I should be for my height! :happy:
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm hypo and have Hashi's.
    FYI, there is a community on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the link to the MFP group!:smile:
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    you know you're in med school when you see the title of this post and your mind immediately goes to the omohyoid muscle in your neck. lol
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed years ago. According to my dr. when I was first diagnosed, I could be eating nothing but bread and water and wouldn't be able to lose weight. I am supposedly on a pretty high dose of Synthroid, but still have had problems with the weight loss, but I can tell in other areas if I miss my meds at all.