Ladies-- T.O.M Cravings- HOW do you get over it

Options
I'm on carb overload. It NEVER fails. It's all I want. Carbs and salt. Like mayonaise and bread. It's so gross but tastes so good at the time lol. I don't crave chocolate as much as I do carbs and salt... how do ya'll handle this awful , awful time?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Like cravings at any other time of the month. If I have the calories, and I'm quite sure I want it, I have it. If I don't, I don't. Always enter high cal foods into your diary BEFORE you eat them. Sometimes seeing it on the screen in all its calorific glory helps calm the impulse down.

I don't think there's anything particularly special about cravings when bleeding vs cravings when not. I'd suggest not giving them such a special, all powerful status in your head, and I think probably you'll feel more in control of them.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that I never have cravings related to TOM. But I do get cravings for junk on a regular day quite often. Usually, the only way I can keep myself from eating it is to eat it all in one sitting so that it is gone next time and I dont have the choice! Haha that is terrible i know but I usually dont have the willpower to say NO if it is easily available and there is no one around to judge me.
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate and salt. For the chocolate, I try and save calories at the end of the day so I can indulge. Just a little. For the salt cravings, I just add extra salt to my food, especially veggies. Not great for my sodium intake but I flush that out with extra water.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    Fiber One Oats and Honey bars are like a candy bar. They have saved me many times from giving into my chocolate cravings. :) It's just one of those things tho thats going to happen so you can either save some extra calories for a small splurge at the end of the day or just try to avoid giving in all together. I have to say, avoiding it all together worked better for me. I found if I gave in even once it would just fuel the fire and I would find myself craving it even more. Thats just me tho. :) Good luck!
  • wenjam715915
    Options
    There is a wonderful snack I just discovered. The Special K chips. They are in the cracker aisle at the store, and they are wonderful. You can have 30 of them and only a few grams of fat, and they are salty, yet don't dig to deep of a hole on your carb end either. Give them a try...you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    yeah i don't get cravings either and i am never hungry in my week of 'fun' for some reason :/
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Like cravings at any other time of the month. If I have the calories, and I'm quite sure I want it, I have it. If I don't, I don't. Always enter high cal foods into your diary BEFORE you eat them. Sometimes seeing it on the screen in all its calorific glory helps calm the impulse down.

I don't think there's anything particularly special about cravings when bleeding vs cravings when not. I'd suggest not giving them such a special, all powerful status in your head, and I think probably you'll feel more in control of them.

I totally agree. Sometimes I add a food to my diary to see how it changes my numbers and that helps change my mind. When I have cravings I just try to find something that will fit in my limits for the day and have it. For example, if I am craving chocolate, instead of sitting with a bowl of brownie batter like I used to, I drink diet hot chocolate and maybe make it with skim milk instead of water.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The cravings hit me in the afternoo...only for one day. :explode: :explode: :explode: I quit fighting them a long time ago. :noway: :noway: :noway: I usually end up eating a little of this & a little of that. These cravings are worse & change faster than when I was pregnant. By the next day, I am good to make better choices again. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Until next month! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate, milk, and peanut butter around that time, EVERY month.

To get over mine, I make my chocolate-protein-cake for dinner at least once that week, and add cocoa powder to EVERYTHING in the mornings....to curb that craving right from the start- oatmeal, cereal, to my oat bran....all that good stuff. Cocoa powder and 1 packet of Splenda, usually.