Dry Navy Beans

Options
sarebak
sarebak Posts: 49 Member
I tried making some white chili last night, and I soaked the beans over night like the recipe said, and then cooked them for the amount of time I was supposed to (about an hour and a half total), but they were still pretty firm (not still crunchy, but not the same texture as canned). The chili still tastes great, I just want it to be better next time. Where did I screw up? Do I need to soak them longer or cook them longer? Or Both? Thanks! :)

Replies

• Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i have never worked with dry beans. hopefully you will find someone who has and who can give you a first-hand experienced answer. If it were me, I would try soaking longer next time. :) Good luck!
  • kayemac
    kayemac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cook them longer. Soaking overnight is plenty long enough. Since I work at home, I like to put them on after lunch and let them slow cook the rest of the afternoon. I'll check them several times, because I don't like a mushy bean.

I love cooking dried beans, but it IS a hassle, so I always cook an entire bag in my giant pot and freeze the remainders in meal-sized bags. Very economical and better tasting than canned.

HTH.
  • sarebak
    sarebak Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible on a budget, and I know the dried ones are healthier than canned, plus they're so much cheaper! I didn't know you could freeze them, that's a great idea. Thanks again. :)
  • Annsingleton
    Options
    When I made ham and beans, I will put my beans in pot and add some water to just cover them and then add a little baking soda. Let that boil good and you will have to watch it cause it could bubble up. It gets a lot of that gassey stuff out. Then drain and rinse. Put back in pot and add your stuff and I will cook most of the morning and they turn out just right.:smile:
  • kayemac
    kayemac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have done the boil/rinse too, if I forget to soak overnight, and it works well. My Dad called that a "quick soak." I've never added baking soda before, though. Will have to give that a try. And that's what I understand too about the soak/rinse process, that it removes a lot of whatever causes gassiness. That's one reason why I'm hesitant to use canned beans, even though I do keep them in the pantry for emergency situations. :)

I love using dried beans, too. There are so many ways to use them (soups, chili, burritos, bean dip), they’re nutritious, they’re cheap, and they fill up my 4 teens!
  • Evelyn2050
    Options

I love using dried beans, too. There are so many ways to use them (soups, chili, burritos, bean dip), they’re nutritious, they’re cheap, and they fill up my 4 teens!

Kay - you have inspired me. I have FOUR kids - grade5-9 and they eat me out of house and home. The words, "fills them up" are exactly what I need. ;)
  • Evelyn2050
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible on a budget, and I know the dried ones are healthier than canned, plus they're so much cheaper! I didn't know you could freeze them, that's a great idea. Thanks again. :)

Bravo for you to be on a budget! Keep up the good work. :)
  • Evelyn2050
    Options
    Ok - honest - if I'm going to try this, can one of you actually send me a recipe? :)