Alli

Options
Anyone have any good or bad results with this?

Replies

• LosingMyselfin2011
    LosingMyselfin2011 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been trying it here and there, I just started this month. I only take it if I know I'm eating more than 13 fat gr in a sitting. I don't know if it's helping with weight loss at all, but I haven't had any adverse side effects or anything.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who took it and said it was really effective. However, if she ate too much fat, she got oily poops. You know, those poops where if you cough, something could leak out. ewwwwwwwww Not sure if it is worth the loss. lol
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    Just search the boards for this and you will see a TON of different opinions... I had a bad experience with it AT WORK. :embarassed: It can be so bad (and funny) that I'll search the boards for this topic sometimes just to get a giggle. :laugh:

I ended up giving mine away after the embarrassing work incident... So my vote is to not use it!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    lol, the one post about the oil problem is true. I took it when it was prescription Xenecal (may have spelled it wrong), but at that time you actually took the prescribed dose of two capsules before each meal. Now that it is over the counter, it is a bit expensive but I have taken it when I could afford it and I doubled up to the prescribed dose because I think to make it over the counter, it is only one capsule isn't it? I did find that I refrained from eating greasy foods due to it pulling the fat out of the food, but I was also amazed to see how much "grease" we actually eat when it did that. I thought "Wow...that WAS going into my body". If I could afford it, I would be taking it again, but can't afford it. My gastroenterologist said he had no problem with me taking it. You just have to be sure and not take it around the time you take vitamins as it can pull important nutrients out too if taken at the same time, from what I understand. But, I felt it helped me.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Really? Are you new here?
    I mean, I'll try to be nice...but this is not a site where weight loss gimmicks are going to be promoted.
    sorry, but 90% of MFPers have lost it the old fashioned way--calories in, calories out...watching what we eat and working out hard.

BUT If you are up for pooping your pants everyday and temporary weight loss...go for it!
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    lol, so funny and true!!! I had people tell me that they stuck toilet paper between their cheeks to be sure and cover any accidents :blushing:
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    This link was posted about a year ago on this site. It's a VERY funny and VERY irreverent post about the side effects of Alli. There is quite a bit of cursing, so if that offends you, please don't read it. http://angryaussie.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/miracle-diet-pill-with-teeny-tiny-side-effect/

I think the general opinion of MFPers is that Alli works by eliminating excess fat that you eat. Well, so does the tracking plan here on this site. The way Alli works is to block the absorption of fat in your intestinal track. This in essence "greases the system." It's rather common to have "accidents" involving greasy anal discharge. I'm not willing to risk that occurring in public. I'll stick to following the food plan.
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    I laughed so hard at this from the above posted link:

Try as they might, their weasel words can’t hide how horrible their drug actually is. Following are actual quotes from their website followed by Mr Angry’s no bs translation.

Website BS (WSBS): You may get:

gas with oily spotting,
    loose stools
    more frequent stools that may be hard to control

No BS: The following things will happen to you:
    You will spray oil when you fart
    You will have diarrhoea
    You will be pooping constantly and you will lose control of your bowels to the point where you poop your pants

WSBS: The excess fat that passes out of your body is not harmful. In fact, you may recognize it as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza.

No BS: Oh dear god. Pizza is one of my favourite foods and these evil people have done their best to turn me off it for life. It will be very hard to look at a pizza again without wondering if someone on this drug has taken a poop on it.

WSBS: Eating a low-fat diet lowers the chance of these bowel changes. (my emphasis)

No BS: Even if you do cut back on fat, you’re still going to poop oil.

WSBS: …pick a day to begin taking alli, such as a weekend day so you can stay close to home if you experience a treatment effect.

No BS: Do not go out in public after taking this drug. You are going to poop yourself. Stay close to a toilet.

WSBS: If you’re getting ready to travel or attend a social event, hold off on starting with alli until the event is over.

No BS: Don’t say you weren’t warned. You are seriously going to poop yourself.

WSBS: You may not usually get gassy, but it’s a possibility when you take alli. The bathroom is really the best place to go when that happens.

No BS: You’re old life is over. Forget what you think you know about your body. You are going to fart uncontrollably. And there will be follow-through. This is not going to be something you want to share.

And my absolute favourite (which is to say, the part of the website that horrifies me most):

“You may feel an urgent need to go to the bathroom. Until you have a sense of any treatment effects, it’s probably a smart idea to wear dark pants, and bring a change of clothes with you to work.”

Oh. My. God. They are so sure you are going to poop your pants they are saying you should accept the inevitable. There is no way to avoid this. So wear dark pants to hide the liquid poop stains. And bring a change of clothes. Because your first set are going to get impregnated with liquid poop.
  • Meghan0116
    Options
    I mean, I'll try to be nice...but this is not a site where weight loss gimmicks are going to be promoted.
    sorry, but 90% of MFPers have lost it the old fashioned way--calories in, calories out...watching what we eat and working out hard.

BUT If you are up for pooping your pants everyday and temporary weight loss...go for it!

Wow, not sure that was necessary. She asked a simple question.
  • PooballJones
    Options
    i want to try this
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options

I workout and stay under my calorie goal every damn day so your smart remarks are not appreciated.
  • tabik30
    Options
    I laughed so hard at this from the above posted link:

Try as they might, their weasel words can’t hide how horrible their drug actually is. Following are actual quotes from their website followed by Mr Angry’s no bs translation.

Website BS (WSBS): You may get:

gas with oily spotting,
    loose stools
    more frequent stools that may be hard to control

No BS: The following things will happen to you:
    You will spray oil when you fart
    You will have diarrhoea
    You will be pooping constantly and you will lose control of your bowels to the point where you poop your pants

WSBS: The excess fat that passes out of your body is not harmful. In fact, you may recognize it as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza.

No BS: Oh dear god. Pizza is one of my favourite foods and these evil people have done their best to turn me off it for life. It will be very hard to look at a pizza again without wondering if someone on this drug has taken a poop on it.

WSBS: Eating a low-fat diet lowers the chance of these bowel changes. (my emphasis)

No BS: Even if you do cut back on fat, you’re still going to poop oil.

WSBS: …pick a day to begin taking alli, such as a weekend day so you can stay close to home if you experience a treatment effect.

No BS: Do not go out in public after taking this drug. You are going to poop yourself. Stay close to a toilet.

WSBS: If you’re getting ready to travel or attend a social event, hold off on starting with alli until the event is over.

No BS: Don’t say you weren’t warned. You are seriously going to poop yourself.

WSBS: You may not usually get gassy, but it’s a possibility when you take alli. The bathroom is really the best place to go when that happens.

No BS: You’re old life is over. Forget what you think you know about your body. You are going to fart uncontrollably. And there will be follow-through. This is not going to be something you want to share.

And my absolute favourite (which is to say, the part of the website that horrifies me most):

“You may feel an urgent need to go to the bathroom. Until you have a sense of any treatment effects, it’s probably a smart idea to wear dark pants, and bring a change of clothes with you to work.”

Oh. My. God. They are so sure you are going to poop your pants they are saying you should accept the inevitable. There is no way to avoid this. So wear dark pants to hide the liquid poop stains. And bring a change of clothes. Because your first set are going to get impregnated with liquid poop.

LMAO! Man, I can't wait to try it now!!!!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Pills are crutches. In other words, they are being used because one doesn't learn how to moderate what they eat, or knows how to burn it off. And in the long run, those that use it will ALWAYS use it when weight is gained. There are no short cuts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

I workout and stay under my calorie goal every damn day so your smart remarks are not appreciated.

Why would you think you need a pill then? You'll lose weight doing just this.
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have tried alli and am on it now. It does help but you still have to eat right and exercise and yes it will cause you to use the bathroom sometimes. I think the people who have the worst problem with the oily and loose stools are those who eat alot of fat. If you eat a low fat diet with it, it is not that bad . There is a book that comes with it with suggested meal plans that have helped me.
  • tabik30
    Options
    I have tried alli and am on it now. It does help but you still have to eat right and exercise and yes it will cause you to use the bathroom sometimes. I think the people who have the worst problem with the oily and loose stools are those who eat alot of fat. If you eat a low fat diet with it, it is not that bad . There is a book that comes with it with suggested meal plans that have helped me.

Awesome! Thanks so much!
  • tabik30
    Options
    lol, the one post about the oil problem is true. I took it when it was prescription Xenecal (may have spelled it wrong), but at that time you actually took the prescribed dose of two capsules before each meal. Now that it is over the counter, it is a bit expensive but I have taken it when I could afford it and I doubled up to the prescribed dose because I think to make it over the counter, it is only one capsule isn't it? I did find that I refrained from eating greasy foods due to it pulling the fat out of the food, but I was also amazed to see how much "grease" we actually eat when it did that. I thought "Wow...that WAS going into my body". If I could afford it, I would be taking it again, but can't afford it. My gastroenterologist said he had no problem with me taking it. You just have to be sure and not take it around the time you take vitamins as it can pull important nutrients out too if taken at the same time, from what I understand. But, I felt it helped me.

Thanks for your help!
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I did not have good results. Luckily I found out the "hard " way that it was not for me while I was at home. If I had been in public I would have been horrified. I too ate healthy and cut fats but it didnt help. EVERYTHING I at turned to fat it seemed and I was always in the bathroom. You said you eat healthy and exercise...so stick with that. That is the best way, no medication just hard work and healthy eating. What people posted on here about the negative side effects are absolutely true. I think it should be taken off the market, my personal opinion.