Advice for a new runner in 2012

Options
dezil
dezil Posts: 252 Member
I've taken on a challenge and want to increase my distance... Currently I can run about 2.5 miles. I want to double that... any advice is welcome! :0) Cheers to 2012!

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Just push yourself a little bit more every other day. Don't run every day - give your body time to recoop. Listen to music. Wear something comfortable. BELIEVE that you can do it and you will. You've got good endurance (because you spin a lot) now you've just got to get your running muscles acclimated. You got this. Running is FUN! :)
  • dezil
    Options
    Yes~ I do have the endurance from spinning... but you're right when you say the 'running muscles!' I can feel it in my back, and it feels good! So, I like the every other day advice..... Do I increase it by like .25 miles? Thanks Kerry!!! xoxo
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Walk breaks are the way to go! I bet if you added a one-minute walk break after every mile you could do three miles almost immediately. If you want a structured approach, you could jump in towards the end of the C25K programme, say week 5 or 6:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also, when increasing distance, go much slower than you have been. Once you've built up the distance, speed will take care of itself.

Here are all my beginner's running tips in one place, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started", hopefully some might help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • BerryH
    Options
    Yes~ I do have the endurance from spinning... but you're right when you say the 'running muscles!' I can feel it in my back, and it feels good! So, I like the every other day advice..... Do I increase it by like .25 miles? Thanks Kerry!!! xoxo
    Don't increase your distance by more than 10% in a week - that's in total, not for each. Three or four times a week is plenty.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Don't increase your distance by more than 10% in a week - that's in total, not for each. Three or four times a week is plenty.

Agreed, Des!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I totally reject the 10% rule of thumb. I'm not sure who is well served by it. It gets thrown around like a guarantee of some type. A four mile runner is safe to bump up to 4.4 miles, but not 4.5? The truth is that runner could run 4.75 or 5 and be fine, or they could run 3.75 and still get injured. I say run smart and listen to your body.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Congratulations on starting a running program!
    As a long-time runner my advice is to keep a journal. Record time and distance (and thus pace) and track your progress. You will be your own best competition.
    Buy comfortable shoes. Go to a reputable shoe store that can analyze your gait and footstrike. They will help pick out a shoe that is best for your foot.
    Lastlly, warm up before you run. Walk brisklly, very slow jog, even pushups or jump rope--whatever it takes--for about 3-5 min. People quit running because they are too tired after just one mile--mostly because their body is not ready to run yet. The heart has a hard time going from resting to work so quickly.
    Good luck and keep on keepin' on!
  • dezil
    Options
    Thanks you guys~ For all your advice and help! I'm so excited for this new journey... Blisters on my feet to prove it! =/ Ahhh... The good life! I appreciate all the tips... and will definitely keep them in mind as I venture towrads my 5 mile run!!!
  • everydaymom1982
    Options
    I am a long distance runner and picked it up about ten years ago (but took long breaks in between having babies). Best advice is to find a shoe that works for you and stick with it. We live pretty frugally and I can't afford $100.00 everytime I need a new pair. I utilize Craig's List and ebay. I have gotten my favorite running shoes for affordable prices (most of them they are new or been worn only a few times). I hate the treadmill and prefer to run outside. Even in the winter, your body adapts. Then 40 degree temps start to feel really comfortable. I also use Hal Higdon's (www.halhigdon.com) training programs. There are so many to choose from and all different types of races to train for. Set goals. Keep a running diary or blog (mine is http://19milesandcounting.blogspot.com/ if you want a sample). Have fun! We all have bad running days. Yesterday I struggled to make three miles when I have ran six a week ago with no issues.

When I first started running my goal was to run to the gas station and back (a little over a mile) and I could hardly do it. It was so painful. It took several weeks. Never in a million years did I dream I would run a marathon six years later.
  • dezil
    Options
    Your blog is great~ And what an inspiration you are! I've never dreamed of running a marathon.. and who knows if I ever will want to!?! But for now.. its the 5 miler on my mind! ;) I'll have to start keeping a log.. so I can push myself faster & farther!
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Love your blog!!! Great tips!!!! :)
    Walk breaks are the way to go! I bet if you added a one-minute walk break after every mile you could do three miles almost immediately. If you want a structured approach, you could jump in towards the end of the C25K programme, say week 5 or 6:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also, when increasing distance, go much slower than you have been. Once you've built up the distance, speed will take care of itself.

Here are all my beginner's running tips in one place, "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started", hopefully some might help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • dezil
    Options
    Advice for new running shoes & socks? My feet have blisters from my new found hobby ;) I love Asics... and have these small bone spurs at my heels so they are a shoe I've found to fit comfortably... but w/ running, perhaps I need a change? The socks I'm using are cotton/nylon mix... new socks? Thanks MFP friends!!
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    For socks, I cannot live with my Thorlo Experias. They are comfortable in all weather and really help to prevent blisters. They are not inexpensive, however, but for me they are worth their weight in gold.

As for shoes, everyone is different. Go to a store that specializes in running and have them fit you for a pair of shoes. At a good running store, they will do a gait analysis (typically on a treadmill) to determine what types of shoes might work best for you and let you really try on shoes (as in get back on the treadmill with them). A good pair of shoes prevents injury and can really improve your running experience. A bad pair of shoes does just the opposite.

Most of all HAVE FUN!
  • BerryH
    Options
    My advice for running shoes is to forget everything you think you like about other training shoes and go to a speciality running shop that will look at your foot shape, foot landing, stride and running style and bring out several pairs to try. They'll probably be ugly and have weird names but they'll feel like heaven!

For a bone spur, consider taking out the insoles and replacing them with a gel insole designed for running. I have Sorbothane ones for PF.

There are several anti-blister technologies in socks from double-layered to seamless. As with shoes, it's best to get proper running ones rather than general use. Google "anti blister running socks" for some suggestions. 1000 mile socks are good. But properly fitted running shoes will make all the difference in the world. Don't pop the blisters!
  • dezil
    Options
    Thanks guys!! How convenient, the receptionist at my work, her dad specializes in good fit running shoes! So, I'll be paying him a visit!! I will have to search for these socks, and yah, I agree w/ the advice given to me... it may be time to find me a good pair of running shoes, and not the ones I've used for training, etc. Appreciate your help and comments!! Happy Running!