Sugar Question

Options
NBabi91
NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
Hey everyone!

So I was wondering if it was ok to go over sugar if it was from fruit? Is it better to eat a lot of fruit but be over in sugar? or to eat more high calorie items that have less sugar?

Replies

• jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously, it would be better to consume the lower calorie item than the higher calorie item. But you still want to be careful. Sugar is sugar.
  • Equinata
    Equinata Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good Question
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Well, obviously, it would be better to consume the lower calorie item than the higher calorie item. But you still want to be careful. Sugar is sugar.
    I agree, sugar is sugar, but having said that a piece of fruit which contains natural sugars is whole lot healthier for you than something processed with the same amount of refined sugars in it.
    I try to eat more veggies than fruits for just this reason.
  • joannlinen
    joannlinen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm realizing that there's WAY too much sugar in my diet since I've started tracking so that's going to be my immediate goal to reduce it. Good luck!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am trying to replace old snacks with things like apples but I am finding that the sugar is crazy. I guess I need to start trying new vegetables out.
  • amberjschmidt
    amberjschmidt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm CONSISTENTLY going over my sugar EVERY day. From simple things as whole grain breads, oatmeals and fruits are the highest things on mine :(
  • EWilliamson
    EWilliamson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree! I normally don't watch my sugar and since I have its NUTS...you pretty much can't eat ANYTHING ;( I had one thing for breakfast the other day...HEALTHY and it was over...I just try to really watch calories!
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have major sugar issues myself. Once I've eaten my cereal in the morning, I've pretty much hit my sugar intake for the day - and it's from the 1% milk, not the cereal!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my sugar to 25-30g per day. I have eliminated additive sugar from my diet for the most part. I would much rather get my sugars from foods naturally than refined/processed sugars.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar coming from fruit has all kinds of micronutrients and fiber that make it better than what you get from a chocolate bar, we don't fully understand how all these things "work together" and focus on one part of something ie the plant sterols they are adding to OJ and margarine so they can claim they are better for us.. if I'm going to get plant sterols I'll get them from eating the veggie matter not from dropping my butter for fake chemical margarine.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sugar coming from fruit has all kinds of micronutrients and fiber that make it better than what you get from a chocolate bar, we don't fully understand how all these things "work together" and focus on one part of something ie the plant sterols they are adding to OJ and margarine so they can claim they are better for us.. if I'm going to get plant sterols I'll get them from eating the veggie matter not from dropping my butter for fake chemical margarine.

This, this, this.

If you're eating whole fruit (not juice), then you're getting so much more than just sugar. You're getting fiber (in nature, most "sugary" foods also have a ton of fiber, and often, the more sugar, the more fiber), vitamins, and anti-oxidents.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't bother tracking sugar at all. I don't have any special medical concerns and I don't want to freak out every time I have an apple or a banana, so I don't track it. Watching calories and eating lots of protein and more veggies has worked very well for me so I'm sticking with that. :-) If I want a sweet treat and it works into my calories for the day, I have it.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    It all made a little more sense to me when I researched info on the glycemic index. Sugar is sugar and carbs are carbs...but they aren't all created equal. Check out a book from your local library or google it to find what works best (no insulin spikes...then no crashes...etc).

This helped me keep a consistant blood sugar level....mine tends to run low especially with high intensity exercise.
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have no clue how someone can eat the amount of sugar MFP suggests... I always go over my sugar allotment by about 60-70g. I eat a lot of fruit and try to stay away from process snacks and even granola bars with lots of sugar. My recent blood test showed my sugar level was just fine, so I wouldn't overly obsess over it. I would chose fruits over other lower sugar but processed snacks. Feel free to check out my diary to see what I eat.