Breakfast or a Run ? What First ?

Options
Hey.
I've decided I am going to go for a half an hour run / walk every morning now that I am on study leave.
But my question is should I have my breakfast before running or after in order to burn the most calories >
Thanks in advance !
Also wanna know if anyone wants to do the challenge with me..
Either 30 minute run/jog or a 45 minute walk to do everyday for a week before 10:30am ?

:happy: :heart: :happy:

Replies

• little_wolfie
    Options
    I should probably join you. Getting me out of bed before 10 is a major thing these days :) When I exercise I usually have a banana or something small about 15 minutes before, and then when I am done working out I come home and have a bowl of oatmeal. Mmmm, oatmeal. Or a smoothie. Depending on how my mood is :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Eat after a run...or you could possibly end up with cramps or worse.
  • BeesBella
    BeesBella Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks guy !
    Ok so tomorrow out of bed by 10 and get running !!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    All I can handle before I run in the morning is a banana. And only a half. I save my breakfast for when I get home and I'm starving!
  • Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    I would like to attempt this challenge..... I need to work on my outdoor running... I usually just run on the treadmill and in the mornign before work woudl be the perfect time if I can get myself out of bed early enough!! I'm going to try it!!
  • lovetobethin
    Options
    I eat first! I was in the Army for 4 years and having to wake up at 5 every morning and run when I was STARVING was definitely not my cup of tea! Now that I'm out, I usually wake up, have breakfast, RELAX, and enjoy the morning for a couple of hours. Then, when my food is digested, I'll do my cardio for 1 hour. I'm always nice and hungry come lunch time! I find that this system works best for me.
  • AllenMom4
    AllenMom4 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    UEither way but you need to wait 30 min before you exercise after a meal and 30 min after you get a meal.
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi All,

I always eat at least a little something (never a big something) an hour or hour & 1/2 before strenuous exercise. And I'd say a run qualifies as strenuous. I see a need to avoid cramping (hence the hour) but I also see the need to nourish your body before exercise, especially muscle-pounding runs and sweaty heavy breathing. ....hey now ♥

Just my oppinion.
    I run nearly everyday, but not before 10:30 recently. eeegats

~Karen
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I would think that you would need to eat something, or you may not have the energy to run at your best intensitiy. I know I always do much better during my workouts when I have some food fuel in my body.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I always eat a big breakfast after I finish my run and workout first thing in the mornings. I am usually up at 5, home by 6:30 and then I eat :happy:
  • BeesBella
    BeesBella Posts: 24
    Options
    I am so proud of myself. Even though I'm on study leave from college I got up and 7:45am by 8:30am I was walking and quite fast at that ! For 35-40 minutes then I sat in the library for an hour doing revision !
    Anyone else ?
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, for me it depends on how long my run is going to be. if I'm just running 3 or 4 miles I will eat after. but if I'm doing anything much longer than that I will normally have a piece of toast with peanut butter (or something else small) and a glass of OJ... that will help me get through the run.

ETA: I do drink coffee every morning before I workout-doesnt matter what I'm doing! :laugh:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I always eat after I run unless like other it is a longer run. I like to eat 1/2 a clif bar for my engery on the longer runs, then I can finish the rest and then have a decedent breakfast when I get home. My long runs are usually about 20-30 minutes from my house.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I have protein before I work out and something with protein/carbs after. Running on fumes is going to lead to poor workouts and a lack of progress IME. Even if you just eat a tiny bit, have something before the run.

How long you have to wait before you can eat and run is very individual too so you'll need to experiment to find what works for you.