Weighted vest?

Options
I'm thinking about getting a weighted vest to help me develop more core strength and to help burn more calories. I'm almost at my goal and I'm not burning nearly as many as I used to. I have no idea where to begin or how much weight to select, so I would love to hear thoughts from those who have them to see if it's worth the investment.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Why not just lift weights?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Exactly.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I do, but I wanted to add this to my weekly long walk/ run I do on the weekends outside.
  • epic_surfing
    Options
    I recommend getting the wrist and ankle weights. They are fantastic for running/walking! I used them to train for my half marathon and loved it!
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have the 20lb vest for when I run cuz it makes ur body burn more and you can see faster results. Not to mention it makes your run more intense then with just your body weight
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Bad idea. You are asking for injury problems by carrying extra weight--especially in places your body is not accustomed to (e.g. your ankles). Additionally, you may start to change your gait and that can mess you up in the long run.
    Just do some strength/weight training after your run.
    If you want a similar type of workout, drag a heavy object behind you (e.g. an old tire). I'm serious--it may look funny, but find an old tire and a dead-end street or dirt road and go to it. That way you maintain your running form and still get an intense workout.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i used one in water polo. i found it incredibly beneficial, it makes your body work harder at things you are used to doing. sme as always though, just don't over do it
  • Sputang
    Options
    What about using a weighted vest for other excercises? I've been thinking of getting one to add more resistance for push ups, pull ups, dips, and jumping rope. Is this a good idea?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Exactly.

third this -- do more high intensity weight lifting. squat thrusters into overhead presses are really good for your core
  • maria7bella
    Options
    I've heard that every pound you lose takes 4 lbs (I think) of pressure off your knees...so adding it on by way of vest might do the same in reverse and add pressure to your joints. I have terrible knees from years of teaching step and high impact aerobics, so this IS a concern for me.
    Whatever you choose, I know you'll do great! You always do when it comes down to it!

As for dragging the weight, I've seen the firemen by my house do that type of workout. Looks tough! You would love it!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting the wrist and ankle weights. They are fantastic for running/walking! I used them to train for my half marathon and loved it!

Do not run with ankle weights as it increases your risk of injury.

I run with a camelpak. The cloud walker model. Filled with water it weighs 6 pounds. Just started running with a 5 pound kettlebell in it too.
  • maria7bella
    Options
    I've heard that every pound you lose takes 4 lbs (I think) of pressure off your knees...so adding it on by way of vest might do the same in reverse and add pressure to your joints. I have terrible knees from years of teaching step and high impact aerobics, so this IS a concern for me.
    Whatever you choose, I know you'll do great! You always do when it comes down to it!

As for dragging the weight, I've seen the firemen by my house do that type of workout. Looks tough! You would love it!

Pilates is great fro the core. I also taught that for years. I had killer spinal errectors and serratus!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have been an Army Master fitness trainer and am now doing Recreational Therapy with the VA, The vest is a better idea than the ankle or leg weights as it more evenly distributes the weight thus less stress ful at the far end of the levers that are your joints. I would advise you to start out light (say 5lbs) and then increase the weights at 4-6 week intervals in 5 lb increments so long as you are managing the extra weight without undo stress on your knees, hips or back. Posture is impportant when you do this so keep a good balanced upright posture when youwalk or run. I wpould also advise to try it walking a few times berfore you start torun with it. Have your running partner keep an eye on your posture throughout. Avoid the tendency to lean in to it. Good luck.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    What about using a weighted vest for other excercises? I've been thinking of getting one to add more resistance for push ups, pull ups, dips, and jumping rope. Is this a good idea?

Yes (except the jump rope).
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for walking sometimes I wrap 40lbs of steel plates in a towel, put it in mybackpack and walk hills...I hike so its good for me to get used to carrying a load...also...when weighted, my hrm tells me I am working much harder
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I posted a similar question a few weeks ago. I really wanted thoughts on whether it was practical to wear it while doing Zumba to up the calories burned. I didn't get many answers and they were mixed (no one had actually done it). I haven't gotten a vest yet but I think I'm going to. Even if it doesn't work for Zumba it would be easier than holding hand weights when doing squats and lunges and should be good for lower impact cardio like walking or free step.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    My husband has an adjustable weighted vest he runs with sometimes. I think he bought it at walmart.com. You can add little weight bags or remove them depending on what you're comfortable with.
  • b757
    b757 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Do not run with ankle weights as it increases your risk of injury.

I run with a camelpak. The cloud walker model. Filled with water it weighs 6 pounds. Just started running with a 5 pound kettlebell in it too.

Very cool idea. I'm not quite to the running point from previous injuries, but this could help for my walking. Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Ankle weights aren't recommended for running.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you're gonna do it, get a vest that you can adjust the weights and move up gradually.

One time, I took the baby out on a stroll in the Baby Bjorn carrier (kinda like a kangaroo pouch). I hadn't taken her out in a while and I didn't realize how much strain I had put on my lower back until the next morning. I couldn't get out of bed.