Is it normal to lose 10 pounds during the first week of calo

Options
Hi. :) I'm Alli. I'm 21, and I am 5'6" and 260 pounds.(I was 270 until this week.) I just started counting my calories with this site five days ago. I'm not sure if it's ok, but I've already lost 10 pounds. I'm not sure whether I need to be excited or concerned. I haven't done any working out yet, just eating healthier. I used to drink up to six full-calorie, full-sugar sodas per day and binge at least once per day. Am I dropping weight quickly because 1,500 calories is so much less than I'm used to eating? Thank you!

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congrats that a brilliant result! I'm so jealous.
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    welcome!!!!!! it's probably water weight, although don't get discouraged i've always felt better dropping anything!!!! this is a great site and really easy to use, i'm back on track following the birth of my daughter 10 days ago. just keep logging that's the best way!!!! again welcome and good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Short answer: yes.

It sounds like you've cut a LOT of calories out of your daily intake. You've probably also lost a lot of retained water which is normal during the first week or two. Your rate of loss will slow soon and you should probably be losing about 2-4 pounds per week for awhile. It slows more the closer you get to your goal.

Good luck and stick with it!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think I lost about 5 to 7 the first week, so it's pretty typical, you may have a week or two like this, then things will level off as your body adjusts to your eating/exercising.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It's normal for a lot of people to drop really quickly the first week or two, then it will likely level out to a more reasonable and expected rate. Like others have said, often people drop some water weight right at the beginning. Congrats, use this first bit as motivation to keep at it! But don't get discouraged if it slows down soon, that is completely normal.
  • timheywood
    Options
    It might be OK, it might not... 10lbs in a week is proabbly not real weight. If you're eating less, there's less stuff in your bowel, which you are no longer topping up so fully on a day to day basis. That means, delicately, you'll pass more than you eat for a few days. That will stabilise once you are only passing what you've eaten, and so that explains two phenomena: 1) the rapid loss in hte first week of a diet, and 2) the sudden slowing in the second week that can be so disinspiring. If you were to continue to lose weight at 10lbs a week, then that isn't healthy - anything over 2 lbs a week and you're losing muscle mass, not fat. As muscle is the engine that burns calories, it isn't healthy to lose it. Finally the scales also measure hydration status. If you are drinking less fluid then you might be getting too dry.

Don't get hung up on the scales. They are only accurate to +/- 5% of your weight anyway, and remember that weight isn't all stuff you want to lose. Don't get disheartened when the weight loss slows, and if it doesn't slow, eat a little more.

Hope that helps.

T
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    My first week, I lost 9 pounds. I think a lot of it was my body purging the bad gunk I had built up over the years ... eating out and eating greasy foods and then going to strictly organics ... it was a detox of some sort.

I wouldn't worry unless it continues that way. My second week on, I lost 2 pounds consistently.
  • maritenour
    maritenour Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am! I lost about 12 my first week.
    After that is when the fight begins!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    In my first fortnight I lost a stone, then it slowed down to what it's meant to be. Enjoy the first weight loss x
  • charm9
    charm9 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes it is I usually lose between 7-10 pounds the first week of any diet I start. It gradually slows down for me which is when its much harder to not feel discouraged. This site will help keep you motivated though :)
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've heard its normal to lose alot of weight during the first week of dieting so you probably have nothing to worry about, but it shouldn't continue to lose that much afterwards.
  • NevergivinupTeya
    Options
    Yes! its normal you put your body in shock and did it some good. I have done the same before. Keep it going... the weeks after wont' be as high but at least you will be losing instead of gaining.!
  • teenytinylove
    Options
    totally normal. (: a friend of mine's cousin lost like 20-30lbs by just not drinking pop and eating healthier. it's crazy how the body works.
  • ajourney2far
    ajourney2far Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    As a chronic under eater - I am so jealous! I have to consume MORE to actually lose weight. Well, actually, I have to see-saw - more one day - less the next. But I am still struggling to get up to and over 1200 calories. :(