Getting on scales feels like a pap smear in a crowded restau

Options
I am starting just getting to the point where I'm afraid of what my scales might say and just dread getting them out. They are currently gathering dust under my bed somewhere. I'd rather have an uber embarrasing (but ultmately necessary) smear test in a crowded amphi theater with a huge screen projector than get on my scales especially after this festive (eating) Xmas period.Any else ever felt like that?

Replies

• Randomness74
    Randomness74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1 scales are evil...but sometimes needed...
    2. look for other changes in your body...it clothes fittling looser...
    3. scales are evil...did i say that
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think we've all felt that way after a rough week/day/etc..

But you know that avoiding the scale won't fix the problem. Not seeing the number doesn't protect you from a gain.. if it's there, it's there!

It's always better to be realistic and honest with yourself. Even if it means seeing a horrifying number on the scale. :)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Ya, the scale kinda sucks. I hear ya.

Your analogy made me laugh next to your profile pic. That dude wouldn't say that.
  • LadyConundra
    LadyConundra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, that is so true, and I agree with the other ppl, just get on it, look at it and say 'ok, well I will never see that number again' and start kicking butt :). What is worst is having to tell your guy personal trainer your weekly weight, especially after this week, it sucked but he was encouraging :)
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It takes about 3500 calories above your normal calorie limit to equal a pound. So don't feel so bad. Just hop back on the horse and ride again, besides its about 325 days before the holidays arrive again, you have plenty of time.
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    LOL that made me laugh. I'd focus more on the fit of your clothes than the scales, though they can be your friend as well - when you have success!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    lol. The scale is only a tool :) get on it and then move on.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Brilliant!

How do you feel about switching to the tape measure for a while instead?

I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think it is - it couldn't be! Remember you'll be carrying more water!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Leave the evil scales in their dusty cave.. they don't like anyone.. they are there fitness grinch.

Judge how you are doing but you clothes, day to day feeling and tape measure they are all much more supportive.

My OH is a skinny mini (skinny fat) but i am heavier and fitter than him, so the scales are not a fair test.

Good luck!
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ya, the scale kinda sucks. I hear ya.

Your analogy made me laugh next to your profile pic. That dude wouldn't say that.

Ha ha no Went Miller would never be in need of one :D From now on Tape Measure will be my best friend.
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've done it and braved the pain....Not as terrible as I'd envisaged.I'm certainly no beanpole but at 167lbs....I guess it could have been a lot worse.Now time to do something about it.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I always laugh at the fact that people from the UK call it "Scales" and North American's call it the "Scale". Likely dates back to when you had to use Balance Scales (aka 2 of them) and now that its just one square on the floor we now call it by its singular form!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I like to call it a pap "schmear", like the stuff they sell at the bagel shop. Makes it sound cute.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I like to call it a pap "schmear", like the stuff they sell at the bagel shop. Makes it sound cute.

:heart:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Because of my holiday indulgences I am not weighing again until I "feel it" in my clothes. I just couldn't take the disappointment. My jeans are tight so I know I'm up a few lbs. When they are a better fit I'll start weighing again.
  • Mark63
    Mark63 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Felt that. Got over it and stepped on the scale. Yup...up about 8 lbs. that's what the holiday's will do to the diet. But you know what? Today is a new day and it's time to accept the gain and start working to lose it again. Whoever said dieting is fun never had a problem with weight. Good luck...it might not be as bad as you think.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Love stepping on the scale. Only gained 1lb of the holidays, then lost after.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The topic made me LOL for real...so true and so eloquently said. when I start feeling like that i make my hubby hide the scale for a few weeks and just focus on how I feel. :drinker:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    That was a really interesting visual. LOL

If the scale is stressing you out, put it away for a month. Stick to your calories, exercise, and then check in a month later. Some people love weighing in every single day (maybe even multiple times a day LOL) to see fluctuations and keep themselves in check, others find it too stressful and prefer to just check in once every week, two weeks, or once a month to see the big changes. Don't let the scale rule your life or your feelings.