running/eating right and still not losing

Options
Hey all!
I have a question for all of you and some helpful advice would be appreciated.
I have been running 5+ miles a day and eating my recommended calorie intake of 1300 calories per day and I am still not losing. I would love to lose 5 pounds and I feel like I am doing everything right in order to do so.
If anyone has any advice on what I should do that would be great!

Thank you! :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    So are you eating back the calories that you burn while running? If not, then your deficit may be too high.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wait. You're running 5 miles a day and only eating 1300 calories? My initial reaction -- WHAT?! EAT MORE!!! You need major fuel for running, so my first guess would be that your body isn't getting enough of it.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calorie intake, or eating back calories burned..as the previous poster stated.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Make it response number 4 for eating more.
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    I can not understand why you are not losing weight, are you drinking pints and pints of water after running and then weighing.

I am also think, how on earth can you run 5 miles (which is roughly 10,000 steps - the ammount people should match all day) and then living a whole day on only 1,300... how?
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone plus add some strength workouts in there too
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    1. What loss is 1300 recommended for? If it's more than 1lb a week think about changing your goal or you'll never fuel your exercise
    2. Eat back your exercise calories, or at least half if you're not sure of the estimate
    3. Open your diary so we can advise you properly on the quality of your food
    4. Take at least one rest day a week
    5. Vary your running workouts - one long run, one short at race pace, one intervals etc.
    6. Cross-train, especially adding resistance training.

Hope that helps!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I used to run about the same and I ate almost nothing, and didn't lose weight. I would increase your calorie intake by at least 500 calories.
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    No I am not eating back the calories burned because I feel that my calorie intake would be too high and I don't understand how that would possibly make me lose weight. I would start eating more but I am worried that I would gain weight instead of lose.
    Is there anyone out there who has had any experience with this and could assure me that this would not happen?
    Thanks so much for all your input!!
  • StephanieHolloway
    Options
    I also agree with everyone else. Try eating more food during the day. Also, your body can adjust to the same workout, so it is good to change up your workout. Try running a different route or do some hills, as well.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You have two options.... eat more or run less.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I love it when people say they are exercising and eating right but the have diary closed so you can't actually see what they are doing. Anyway, if you are running that much and only eating 1300 calories you are eating the net calories that the site suggests. Maybe you are already at your ideal weight. Or maybe you should eat more and fuel your body for what you are asking it to do and see if that helps.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I eat all my exercise calories and lose weight.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I felt that way too! But I bet you are losing inches, and building muscle!

Keep going..... It takes a long time, that's just how it is (I'm 35 and I know how tough it is)

Think about how happy your heart is with all that wonderful exercise! don't give up!!!!! DON'T GIVE UP! DON'T GIVE UP!

P.S. It is also about your calorie intake! You gotta burn what you take in...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No I am not eating back the calories burned because I feel that my calorie intake would be too high and I don't understand how that would possibly make me lose weight. I would start eating more but I am worried that I would gain weight instead of lose.
    Is there anyone out there who has had any experience with this and could assure me that this would not happen?

The less weight you have to lose the smaller the calorie deficit you should carry. Try setting your goal at 1/2 lb per week & eat back most of your exercise calories & see how that works.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

How about listening to everyone in this thread? Notice they are all saying the same thing?
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    You have to fuel your body. If you don't eat enough your body will think it's starving and will hold on to excess fat.

Eat enough and your body says...heyyyy....I'm ok, and I no longer need the extra fat so let's dump it!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Obviously not eating them back isn't working. Try something new. I've had that problem, a lot of people here have, and I/they upped their calories and lost weight.