When your stomach really just does not want food

For the last few days my stomach has been completely against the idea of food... hitting 1200 calories per day has been completely unattainable. Does anyone have any recommendations for healthy but high calorie meals that'll be light enough to fool a stomach into believing it's not actually full?

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'd like to know what you are eating now, so I can have the same problem!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    That happens to me from time to time. Food suggestions: Protein bars, nuts (preferably unsalted), avocados, bananas.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Does not compute
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    I'm sure not being hungry sounds great in theory, but even though my stomach is happy that I'm not feeding it the rest of my body feels weak. I've only been eating about 500-800 calories per day and even that has been a struggle.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Are you ill? I had a stomach virus over the holidays and could not stand the smell, appearance or thought of food. I drank Gatorade and 7-11 Slurpees for a few days. Then I graduated to broth, rice and applesauce. By the fifth day, my appetite came back.
  • I've gone through this many times myself - I've yo-yo'd quite a bit, especially with powerlifting then busting my shoulder and being less active than I'd have liked for 9 months.

This might not apply to you, but the only time I've experienced what you have is when I need to start pounding my body with food to keep up with lifting. I could eat a similar amount of calories and be fine but when I needed to up (good) caloric intake for lifting I had to force myself to eat.

It would take 7-10 days of forcing down more at each meal/a fourth meal before my body started wanting it. You may just be sensitive to the stomach expansion required to ingest the calories... sounds silly but that's what worked for me. No ill side effects when it was HEALTHY food I was forcing down for that time, but once that went away I had to be careful to not throw in another meal or replace one of them with a bucket of fried chicken.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Only thing that had ever caused me that problem was the stomach flu or pregnancy! High calorie whole grain toast, butter, peanut butter & jam. Throw butter on everything
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Peanut butter packs in some good fat and protein. Crackers and apples with that are yummy.

Pasta is high calorie, try whole wheat. Throw some olive oil in your pasta sauce.

Rice can be high calorie.

Make a smoothie, maybe, with some protein powder. Add avocados and chocolate. (Tastes better than it sounds.)

I can think of a lot of meals that are NOT healthy and high calorie. :wink: But I bet if you're trying to lose weight you already know what those are.

Sometimes eating your calories doesn't have to be so healthy.

Whatever you do, take your vitamins and if you can't eat, drink fluids. Get your electrolytes.

If the problem persists and you're starting to get weak, see your doctor. That goes for you AND ohpilot.

Best of luck to you!
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 178 Member
    I go through phases like this all the time. I usually just add some protein powder to whatever I can drink (usually hot tea) & then eat eggs or avocado on nut bread. If it lasts for more than two or three days, I switch to a weird powder I get from work that is super nutritionally dense but unpronounceable. The latter probably isn't an option if you don't have access to samples given to nursing homes, lol.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    I won't project onto the OP, but it happens to me likely because I've struggled with eating disorders. I kind of lost a sense of hungry versus full and though I've obviously overeaten many times in my life, some days I can't even imagine wanting to eat the amount of food that I plan out for myself.

For me, personally it helps to plan out the day, food-wise, and make small, equal meals.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    I won't project onto the OP, but it happens to me likely because I've struggled with eating disorders. I kind of lost a sense of hungry versus full and though I've obviously overeaten many times in my life, some days I can't even imagine wanting to eat the amount of food that I plan out for myself.

For me, personally it helps to plan out the day, food-wise, and make small, equal meals.

Ditto, on all counts. I plan my entire day while I'm lying in bed the night before. I tend to have to force myself to eat the full meal I've planned out for dinner, but I know I'm getting my recommended intake and all my nutrients if I do it. The only time I find I *feel* hunger is right before lunch.
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    I have problems with this sometimes. I had stomach surgery when I was 18 and it at times I can have problems eating. I end up having problems with weakness and nausea from not eating. The only thing to do is find things that are easy to eat and keep down comfortably. I started my day with crackers and yogurt because of this. Applesauce and fruit cups are good. I'll make poached eggs with no seasoning too. If it's bad I'll make milkshakes with ice cream or protein shakes.