Don't treat yourself like a dog....

Options
I never really thought about it this way until I read this blog by Shay Sorrels from Biggest Loser...

January 5, 2012
Don’t “TREAT” yourself like a dog…

Warning: this may get ugly. This is a very touchy subject for many people. But of course that means we should entertain a discussion on it right? Okay…Just consider yourself warned..,

When people ask me about cheat days or cheat meals or rewarding yourself with a “treat”. I cringe at the thought. Don’t shoot me.. just yet. Let me explain why…

First, I am a Social Worker- not the kind that comes into homes and removes kids. I actually have a degree in Social Work (MSW) and I teach graduate school psych classes and actually practice therapeutic methods (yes I could be a therapist, but thats another blog). SO I could bore you with a lecture all about behavioral approaches and conditioning… some skinner and watson and chomsky.. and don’t forget Pavlov and his dogs. But I won’t do that!

All you need to know is the basic principal of behavior is that humans learn through consequences (punishment and rewards). A consequence increases the chance that a behavior will or will not happen again.

SO… when it comes to creating a healthy lifestyle and changing what you eat and how you think about food using the principles or behavior using “treats” or junk food as rewards (consequence) can really be hurting you.

On the biggest loser ranch we had set calories to intake and a calorie burn goal every day… except one. We always had a “high calorie” & Rest day. Now what “high calorie” meant on the ranch was that you can eat up to double your daily calories for one day- but with ONLY healthy, clean food and leisure activity was encouraged. So on those days we had steak or we had a cereal that was higher in calories, we had frozen yogurt or we used butter in cooking. It did not mean all out war path eating and it did not mean hitting your closest drive thru. Having the high calorie days is supposed to keep your body guessing (homeostasis hates this) and keep you from going into “storage mode”. This is very different from having a cheat day or having a “treat”. It was not a reward. It was a part of the process.

Here is my educational mumbo jumbo on why “treats” are different. Treats are generally a “reinforcement” for a job well done in order to make the behavior happen again. Reinforcers are POSITIVE consequences for behaviors. The human mind thrives off of positive reinforcers… think toddler going potty. Would you reward your toddler who went potty with alcohol? HECK no. So why do we reward our efforts of kicking butt all week with crappy food.

This is especially true if you think you are genuinely dealing with a eating disorder/food addiction. Research shows that sugar, fat, salt in processed foods reacts in the brain similar to heroin. Would a junkie who’s been clean all week earn a hit or two? I think not.

Try to make your rewards things that you will benefit from like a spa day, a massage, workout gear, saving for a trip etc.

We all have a lot of un-learning to do in this journey to health and happiness.. Don’t reward your awesome rockstar hard work to get healthy with a “treat” that is not good for your body mind or soul.

Replies

• Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great post, and a good food for thought!
  • caroln3
    caroln3 Posts: 217
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i see your point of view n it does seem like thats what ppl are doing...

buuuuuuuuuuuut! when im bulking i dont have cheat days as my metabolism is fast already n always in high calorie surplus.. but when cutting and im in a deficit my metabolism slows down.. what do you do to "kick start it" again? you take a sunday n u eat more! most of the time i try to eat cleanish even on a "cheat" day but ocassionaly i spoil myself n even if i do i honest to god wake up monday or tuesday morning and i feel leaner!!! because my muscles just inhale the nutriance and macros i gave them to grow!
  • jnoring
    jnoring Posts: 93
    Options
    That is a good post. If I give my self one treat I can not stop afterwards.
  • bunnyb11
    bunnyb11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That is a good post. If I give my self one treat I can not stop afterwards.

This happens to me as well. Thanks carrie for sharing GREAT POST!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    That is a great post, and it really hit home for me.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Great post. Although I do reward myself with something naughty when I have had a great weightloss. It helps me not crave things. For me instead of having a cheat day I will have a nice meal that I fancy like a chip shop cod and mushy peas. And usally I dont end up going over my cals. Its a reward to me because I rarely eat fried food at all.

Food for thought though.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks! I love her point of view. Also, I always wondered why my weight loss gets a boost from an occasional "cheat day" or (whatever you want to call it) I will definitely include this in my eating plan.
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I thought dogs were people, too! LOL! J/K
  • arotella
    arotella Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing!
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Good blog!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    love this.. thanks for sharing!
  • Angierae81
    Angierae81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    definitely makes sense to me, One treat and I'm done for. I do really well during the week but on the weekends Im home and thats dangerous. Right now its cold and really hard for me to get out and exercise brrrrr

12947656.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    great post. Makes me rethink my food planning. Why have a cheat when you can plan for a day with more food and still lose weight.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I have felt this way since the beginning of my weight-loss journey and my examination of my relationships with food.

I'm also in graduate school and will be finishing my MSW this May -- I appreciate the SW/behavioral perspective :flowerforyou:

Also, for anyone interested in this sort of thing, I highly recommend the book "Women, Food, and God" by Geneen Roth (not religious in nature, I promise!).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    <
    I just changed my profile pic to this one this morning!!

Great post!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I just started adding in a "High Calorie Day" once a week (this has been my first week). Not only am I trying this because of the benefits listed above, but because I think it might help to 'reprogram' my brain out of the treats=rewards stage and keep me from restricting all those "bad" foods for so long and then binging on them when I break. I can eat what I want, when I want. But I could also reserve that food I wouldn't normally have in my daily/weekly diet on my HCD and not feel guilty about it (because feeling guilty about food has it's own problems). Of course, just started this. My first HCD was Monday and I failed in a sense. *lol* I burned so many calories that day with my scheduled workouts that even with my Chinese lunch, I was still under my calorie goal! Oops! *lol* Next one is this Sunday because I want to eat out on my birthday (we've been cutting out eating out because the calories are always so high, so I try to only eat out on HCDs now). :)
  • Sushiq24
    Sushiq24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Seriously made me put some thought into this one!!! Makes absolute sense!
  • katlanphear
    katlanphear Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great "food for thought"! Thanks for sharing. :)
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly!! I quit drinking & smoking 25+ yrs ago, & I tried rewarding myself with a cigaret early on, & found exactly what you're talking about. I started rewarding myself more & more & earlier & earlier Took a lot of tries to realize that wasn't the reward I should have. I deciced to get a bike with the money I saved, & that made it easy then. All in all, I can't start with a piece of pizza, or a candybar, etc, without setting myself up. I haven't lost a lot, but it's coming. Rewarding myself with a high calorie day sounds like a good reward as long as it's clean, but better yet would be buying some clothes & maybe looking good in them. Great post & thanks for the motivation.