Stop hating on people at the gym! *RANT*

Options

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    The only time they bother me is when they're in my way. That applies to new years resolutioners or anyone else. I'm equally pissed at everyone when I lift.

Same here. Or if I want one of the two elliptical and there are two chicks in booty shorts on level zero for 3 minutes giggling and talking. I don't care what the hell someone's resolution was if they are being dumb at the gym and it gets in the way of my exercise than I'm mad.

If the resolutioner can stick with it awesome, I'm really happy for them more power to them.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    dp
  • kellybug123
    Options
    bump
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If you are at the gym working out and sticking to it, you have my total support.

If you and 1000 others like you have wandered into the gym because of the magical date January 1st, and you are half assing the machines, talking on your phone, texting, whatever... while leisurally strolling about on it and taking up space, you can do that outside too and let those that really use the machine the chance to do so.

I can't really get into the gym during January because there are amusement-park level lines on each machine and you have a 30 minute max time limit. I prefer running outside though, so the only time this affects me is when I need to do my strength training. So having to stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour to wait on people half-assing a "workout" while they are texting/talking on their phone is unacceptable to me.

If you're going to the gym, go and workout for real... not show up for 3 weeks a year enmasse and then head on back to the couch to try again in 2013...
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If the NYR's weren't allowed to do curls or bench press, there would be A LOT of people just standing around. Tell these NYR loosers to squat ATG and dead-lift atleast 2 plate and then i'll think about being nice to them.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed at the influx of inconsiderate jerks in my gym that suddenly started. Leaving machines sweaty, peeing all over the toilet seats, leaving soiled towels EVERYWHERE, having no respect for spatial awareness in classes. We're not wild animals, people.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have heard entirely too many people pissing on the "new years resolvers" at the gym. Shut the hell up! If anything you should be supportive because you all know how hard it is to lose weight and how hard it is to start off in the gym, worrying about people judging you! You are not all high and mighty because you decided to change your life some other day than January 1st.

How do you know they didn't transfer gyms? How do you know they don't have a home gym and joined for classes? How do you know they didn't just decide to go to the gym after months of weight loss and dieting to refine their results? How do you know they haven't reached their goal and are just there to tone?

You are in the gym, they are in the gym, and you're both there with the same purpose. Keep your thoughts to your damn self and do that you're there to do.
    Reality is what it is.

We don't change truth to fit somebody's politically correct version of how life should be.
    And the truth is most of the sheeple will fail. That just the way it is - welcome to planet earth.

A small few will keep punching and break through, and those people have my full support and respect.

I managed 3 health clubs over the years, and this is just the way it is. And this never changes year after year after year,
    No reason to snivel over somebody just pointing out what is.

That's keeping it real. I wish it were not so, but calling a spade a spade is good - not bad.
    That's life, so just accept that some of us don't play the little games and call it like it is.
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have heard entirely too many people pissing on the "new years resolvers" at the gym. Shut the hell up! If anything you should be supportive because you all know how hard it is to lose weight and how hard it is to start off in the gym, worrying about people judging you! You are not all high and mighty because you decided to change your life some other day than January 1st.

How do you know they didn't transfer gyms? How do you know they don't have a home gym and joined for classes? How do you know they didn't just decide to go to the gym after months of weight loss and dieting to refine their results? How do you know they haven't reached their goal and are just there to tone?

You are in the gym, they are in the gym, and you're both there with the same purpose. Keep your thoughts to your damn self and do that you're there to do.

New Years Resolvers are, by definition, people who sat on the *kitten* for the last forever and suddenly have up and decided they want to lose weight. 99% of them have no idea how to accomplish this, at the dinner table or at the gym. They often wander around aimlessly, spend more time screwing around/playing with their phones/whatever than they do actually lifting and wouldn't know a good routine if it fell on their foot.

They didn't transfer gyms. They don't have a home gym (at least not one they use), they aren't refining their results. They haven't reached anything and aren't there to tone ("tone" is a stupid word, btw).

I know someone whose new year's resolution was to lose 100lbs and she did so in a year's time. She had never been to the gym before and you're right she had no clue what to do, but she figured it out and did it. Because of people like her people like me see that it is possible to reach your goals! By the way she is really "toned" now too:)
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just move them around.... sitting at a machine and reading the label isn`t using it... get the f out of the way, or ask questions! Dont worry all.. by next week 80% of them will be gone!
  • lauraeburkes
    Options
    We've all got to start somewhere, right?

This elitist attitude is why so many people won't work out in the first place.

Maybe I'll start a gym for fat people. Once you get thin or muscular, you have to leave.

We'll make fun of you if you don't ... for being too committed.

My 14 year old can turn anything into a fault. She'll be my co-pilot.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Very true! But in their defense...I think they just say this because the gyms are generally more crowded the first few months of the year....making it even harder to get on a machine, squat rack, bench, or cardio machines. It's the people who aren't serious about working out that irritate the rest of us....and take up space at the gym.

My thoughts exactly.
  • teresaj0315
    teresaj0315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AMEN! Thanks for that rant!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    As a former gym employee working memberships and the front desk I hated the new year. I was twice as busy for two months of people getting memberships and coming in...by March I was always able to settle back and just enjoy my regular patrons who knew me and I them.
    This of course had nothing to do with size or who they were...lots of my regulars were stay at home mom or dads who did use the gym for social purposes or those who were in need of getting in shape year round!
    So yeah I probably rant! But having worked at a gym, I refuse to get a membership. I have learned how much money it costs and how wasted the money goes! I much rather run outside, use my exercise ball at home or do my DVDs!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    New Years Resolvers are, by definition, people who sat on the *kitten* for the last forever and suddenly have up and decided they want to lose weight. 99% of them have no idea how to accomplish this, at the dinner table or at the gym. They often wander around aimlessly, spend more time screwing around/playing with their phones/whatever than they do actually lifting and wouldn't know a good routine if it fell on their foot.

Love it!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't even speak to anyone at the gym. This nonsense about "haters" and being judged are just excuses people use to not go. Do your workout and move along, that's the drill. It's not social hour, it's not a club or a singles bar, it's not a place to talk about the issues in your childhood that led you to become fat in the first place.

Get in, workout, WIPE DOWN YOUR MACHINE, hit the showers and move on with your life. Do that and you should have no problem. Spend all your time worrying about what complete strangers might be thinking about you and you're not doing yourself any favors.
  • lonewolf620
    Options
    Hey I'm technically a New Year's Resolution person but I'm holding off on the gym membership to make sure I can afford it and so I can set up a realistic regimen that works with my schedule. I want to also take this time to work on my nutrition so I get more out of the gym workouts. And when I finally get that membership I will use it to my full advantage. Right now I have other ways of getting my exercise in.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    No reason to snivel over somebody just pointing out what is.
    No reason to ***** about it or criticize others either.
    That's life. I wish it were not so, but calling a spade a spade is good - not bad.
    Recognizing something for what it is is good. Being a **** about it is not.
  • teresaj0315
    teresaj0315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I apologize for people who take up your space at the gym ~ I thought it was a public place.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    When I was at Gold's, they used to have a room for the regulars during new years so that they could continue to workout during the mad January rush and not have to wait in line forever.

Sadly the Y does not have this.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    mj-laughing.gif

This thread is steaming of anger. Get over yourself.
This discussion has been closed.