How do you deal with stress????

Right now I am 10 days into MFP. I am working out more and trying my best to stay within my calorie limits. The thing that is killing me is STRESS. I work at a job that has no policy on customer abuse towards employees so all day long I'm being called names and being told that I'm an idiot, worthless, etc. (this is all from the customers.) To make matters worse, my boss is seriously an idiot. She doesn't support our department and spends all day online having fun and chatting with her sister instead of working. Our new GM won't even look at me for some reason, though I have tried waving, saying hi, and even just smiling!! So work sucks and I have been looking for a new job with no luck so far. My commute is an hour each way and I only get to see my fiancee for about an hour and a half a night before he has to go to bed. (he works at 2 am) SO I try and "breathe" and "not let things get to me" but it's really amazingly difficult. I just want to know how do you all deal with stress???? I know i'm not the only one on here that has crappy stuff going on!! So far I've been good about not comfort eating which has been HARD but when I get down I don't want to work out. Suggestions?? What keeps you going when things get rough???

Replies

• HealthyMama925
    HealthyMama925 Posts: 4 Member
    ZUMBA! It sounds like your job is really tough and I'm sorry to hear that you don't get enough support. There are days when I feel like heading home with Thai takeout and hibernating, but I get myself to my zumba class or just try to get a small workout in and I always feel better. Zumba is so much fun, it doesn't even feel like a workout! I've learned that when I eat better during the day, I feel better during my workout which has helped me to stay on track.
  • mdorisi
    mdorisi Posts: 69 Member
    I've definately been wanting to try zumba but everytime I look in a class at my gym everyone is like 130 pounds or less lol so of course I'm super shy being like 3 of them! Maybe I need to look around more because that does sound like lots of fun :)
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    I get outside. Solo (or with my puppy who has great stamina), with my Ipod. Long walk, run. The fresh air,music and alone time clears my head.
  • My best friend says once she got into hitting the treadmill regularly (which was a push) she realized how it eased her stress and now she goes especially when she feels THE WORST because she knows it will give her a pick up. Something to make her day feel accomplished I suppose. The "mental game" of weightloss/fitness is DEFINITELY the hardest if you ask me! :)
    We went to our first zumba classes last week, and were intimidated as well, even more so when the music started and everyone else there already seemed to know the routine. But we'd positioned ourselves in the back corner of the room farthest from the door so we couldn't just sneak out - tho I swear I would've if I could! I realized pretty quickly that everyone was moving around so much that nobody even had a chance to see how crazy I looked. I spotted a girl in front of me who seemed to know the moves, but wasn't being all flashy with them (you know what I mean) and focused on following her. Some of the things I couldn't do or couldn't do for the length of time, but I just tried to keep moving (at least my feet walking in place) till I found a move to jump back in on. I'm glad I stayed. It burns hundreds of calories an hour and I looked forward to going back the next day and would go again now even by myself.
    Hope this helps you at all. Good luck! :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    definitely work out.. it really does work .. im in politics and business and work at a nursing home on call .. trust me i understand stess.
  • Exercise..I manage staff at a large insurance company. I understand and relate to stress. There are days when the only thing that truly saves my sanity is going and working out. It doesnt matter what I do, treadmill, circuit class, whatever, as long as I get out and start moving, clears my head and relieves the stress in my shoulders. If I dont exercise for a few days, I feel all out of sorts. And as for folks being smaller than you, I used to feel the same way. How can I go exercise when I am overweight and they arent. Guess what, they dont care. They will support you and cheer you on, especially when you start shedding the pounds. Before you know it, you will look like them. (many of them used to be just like us.....)
  • Look for the good in the job no matter how small. When I get stressed I like to take a trip to the bathroom, close my eyes and just take some deep breath.