Protein in a veggie diet?

Options
littleali
littleali Posts: 179 Member
I'm going to start working on dropping my bodyfat percentage and to do so I know I need to do more cardio but also up my protein/calories in general and start lifting heavier. I barely struggle to make 50g of Protein a day! Any help with meals to bump that up?!

Replies

• theivorytower
    Options
    Egg whites. Lots and lots of egg whites. Cottage cheese is good, greek yogurt, and beans/rice.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Legumes. Grains. Quinoa is a grain that is a complete protein. Tofu. Nuts and nut butters.
  • eclipse75048
    eclipse75048 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lentils are a good choice. Not a complete protein (unless sprouted), but combine it with rice (or make a rice/lentil salad) and you're good. 230 Calories 1g Fat 16g fiber & 18g of protein in one cup.
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly vegan with greek yogurt added in, I get lots of protein, feel free to add me and check out my diary. Believe it or not, leafy greens have a lot of protein in them! But I also eat lots of nuts/seeds too
  • Kateinprogress
    Options
    Low fat dairy is your best friend (and everyone's actually). The calcium in it binds to fat in your stomach and helps you absorb less! At the same time it has a ton protein. I'm vegetarian and still get as much as 90 grams of protein many days!
    - Fat free milk
    - low fat cheese
    - 2% cottage cheese
    - light fit yogurts
    - mountains of egg whites
    - soy protein (gardein brand is my favorite)
    - tofu
    - rozoni smart taste pasta
    - spinach

:)
  • amyhollar
    Options
    Low fat dairy is your best friend (and everyone's actually). The calcium in it binds to fat in your stomach and helps you absorb less! At the same time it has a ton protein. I'm vegetarian and still get as much as 90 grams of protein many days!
    - Fat free milk
    - low fat cheese
    - 2% cottage cheese
    - light fit yogurts
    - tofu
    - spinach

I'm so glad you advocated low-fat as opposed to fat-free dairy. Many people don't know this but without fat present your body can't absorb the fat-soluble vitamins (like vitamin D) and calcium in dairy products. Of course, saturated fat is not our friend either, but low-fat dairy is the best of both worlds!
  • sylverkat
    sylverkat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Edamane. I actually give this to my son because he doesnt like meat. It's soya beans. Great when boiled with some salt added, then just eat out of the pods.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I think 50g of protein sounds absolutely fine, but if you want to bump it up, a pack of quorn light bites is 86 cals and 10g of protein. Fat free Greek yoghurt is 52 cals and 10g of protein per 100g.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Edamane. I actually give this to my son because he doesnt like meat. It's soya beans. Great when boiled with some salt added, then just eat out of the pods.

fyi- you might want to research soy for males...I wouldnt give your male children alot of soy
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    tofu/soy is also not great for females as it increases estrogen - which makes you hold weight on.... :(
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I love this protein powder mixed into my berry smoothies: Garden of Life - Raw Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula

Its protein sources are mostly a variety of sprouted seeds. Very mild taste. Only 80 calories but provides 18g protein per serving.
  • I know they have vegetarian protien shakes on the market - you should look into them! They really help me to reach my 100g protien goal.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Kale
    quinoa
    quinoa pastas
    veggie meats
    Sprouted grain/wheat bagel w/ hummus
    Organic peanut butter
    Vegetarian beans, such as black beans mixed with refried in burritos
    Etc...
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    tofu/soy is also not great for females as it increases estrogen - which makes you hold weight on.... :(

That's only if you eat too much.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    - Fat free milk
    - low fat cheese
    - 2% cottage cheese
    - light fit yogurts
    - tofu
    - spinach

I'm so glad you advocated low-fat as opposed to fat-free dairy. Many people don't know this but without fat present your body can't absorb the fat-soluble vitamins (like vitamin D) and calcium in dairy products. Of course, saturated fat is not our friend either, but low-fat dairy is the best of both worlds!

I'm not trying to knock your view, but I've recently done a lot of research and having dairy more than 2-3x a week is not good for you.
    Harvard recently released a study basically discrediting the FDA and nonchalantly accusing them of constructing the new food pyramid based on funding. I'm sure you can google it.
    Fruits and vegetables should be our main food group followed by grains and other plant based products, then meats and dairy, followed by oils and sweets...
    It's worth checking into.
  • amyhollar
    Options

It doesn't actually increase estrogen, compounds in soy may mimic estrogen in the body, but the jury is still out on that one. And, as gucceegrl pointed out above, that's only if you eat way too much.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    A good sports supplement line, if you're vegan, is Vega Sport.
    I've seen it in Whole Foods & Sunflower Market.
    If you're looking for health supplements, I'd recommend a whole food supplement.
    I'm trying one called Amazing Meal by the Amazing Grass company. I got it for $25 the other day at Whole Foods, and it's normally $42.
  • amyhollar
    Options
    - Fat free milk
    - low fat cheese
    - 2% cottage cheese
    - light fit yogurts
    - tofu
    - spinach

I'm not trying to knock your view, but I've recently done a lot of research and having dairy more than 2-3x a week is not good for you.
    Harvard recently released a study basically discrediting the FDA and nonchalantly accusing them of constructing the new food pyramid based on funding. I'm sure you can google it.
    Fruits and vegetables should be our main food group followed by grains and other plant based products, then meats and dairy, followed by oils and sweets...
    It's worth checking into.

I may not have come across how I intended. I meant, if you are someone who is going to eat dairy, low-fat is the best choice (opposed to whole-fat or fat-free). I certainly don't believe you need dairy daily to maintain a healthy diet and weight. I will look up the study, sounds interesting! I don't pay attention to most of the FDA's claims because unfortunately lobbying and politics get in the way all too often with government organizations.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    No biggie. :)
    Just thought youd like to look into it.
    I've just recently switched to almond milk, and I was scared to try vegan cheeses,
    but they're actually pretty good.

Exactly. After watching Forks Over Knives and Food Matters, my husband and I checked our blood pressure.
    We're in our mid 20s and my husband was already 1 digit away from being in the first stage of hypertension!
    Over the past 3 weeks we've been able to get it down to lower prehypertesion range with changing our diets.