Negative calorie FOODS! For those of you not aware. :)

Options
Want to share this article for those of you you aren't already aware of 'negative calorie' foods.
These are foods that take more calories to digest than are actually consumed. But don't forget to add your protein! :D

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Zero_Calorie_Foods

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Bump.

I always knew about celery but I hate celery.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the site, I checked it out. Good information.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Great site. Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That article states "While there is no scientific evidence that this is true, it is theoretically possible that this phenomenon can exist. " It then provides a link to this Mayo Clinic page:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/negative-calorie-foods/AN02040

Which states:
    Here's the reality. Throughout the day, about 10 percent of your total energy expenditure goes to digest and store the nutrients in the food you eat. Foods that contain few calories, such as celery, require a relatively large amount of energy to digest compared with the amount of calories they provide. That means it's theoretically possible to have a negative calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods are negative calorie or that they aid in weight loss.

The bottom line: Many of the foods touted as negative calorie foods are vegetables and fruits that can aid in losing weight as part of an overall healthy diet plan. But they're probably not negative calorie and they're not a magic bullet for weight loss. In addition, following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients. The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    oh ffs. You eat it, you log it. Eat food that is satisfying. Forget the non sens
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Rubbish. Negative calorie foods do not exist.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I'm sticking to counting them anyway I'm a bit of a non believer on that subject
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Just my two cents worth:

If a food is a negative calorie food, then when its logged (err, on nutritional labels even), why does it have a positive number? Essentially, if I go over my calories, I could offset this by eating tons of "non calorie foods" to fix it? Err, nope. Sorry.

The thought is nice ... but this is why even people who do weight watchers (and eat endless amounts of said negative calorie foods -- fruit and veggies) can still manage to not lose weight.

Irregardless of the articles I read, I still am not a believer in it.
  • Psychomasokism
    Psychomasokism Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That article states "While there is no scientific evidence that this is true, it is theoretically possible that this phenomenon can exist. " It then provides a link to this Mayo Clinic page:

Which states:
    Here's the reality. Throughout the day, about 10 percent of your total energy expenditure goes to digest and store the nutrients in the food you eat. Foods that contain few calories, such as celery, require a relatively large amount of energy to digest compared with the amount of calories they provide. That means it's theoretically possible to have a negative calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods are negative calorie or that they aid in weight loss.

The bottom line: Many of the foods touted as negative calorie foods are vegetables and fruits that can aid in losing weight as part of an overall healthy diet plan. But they're probably not negative calorie and they're not a magic bullet for weight loss. In addition, following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients. The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Thank you! -___-
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Want to share this article for those of you you aren't already aware of 'negative calorie' foods.
    These are foods that take more calories to digest than are actually consumed. But don't forget to add your protein! :D

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Zero_Calorie_Foods

If it makes you feel better....SMH :yawn:
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Reading the article in its entirety sheds light on the fact that they aren't really ZERO calorie foods.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Do they have negative calorie stuffed crust pizza?
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Stick some celery on it, it'll be reet :wink:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Which states:

Quoting because it's important to not spread misinformation. You eat, you put the calories in, you inherently burn calories during the digestion process, but that's already part of your BMR.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There are no negative calorie foods.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    shhhhhhhhj yes they do. It ´s how i got my abs but i don´t want the others to know about it.
  • OllieGBR
    Options

Mmmmmm, Pizza.

My first contribution to the forum, not entirely positive I'll grant, sorry:blushing:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If you close your eyes while eating something, it becomes a negative calorie food.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am tired of this myth floating around! Its not true!!! No such thing as negative calorie foods!!! Learn to use the internet folks!! wikis can be altered by almost anyone and are not deemed quotable sources!! OMG...people are dumb!