HELP! Hitting the "why bother" stage

Options
HELP!! its only been two weeks and I"m starting to hit the "why even bother" stage...the stage of I cant do this so why am I even trying..which always ends up to theres no point in doing this so I stop and gain all my wieght back and then some...I don't want to do it this time, I really need to lose the wieght and really want to...I want to look good and feel good about myself again...Someone please give me some positive feedback not the usual "you can do this crap"..its like an anvil of guilt is starting to drop and I wanna stop it in its tracks before it hits and sticks...someone please help

Replies

• Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Believe me I know it's hard but you just gotta keep going. Everyone goes thru ups and downs.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Look at some of my pics and those of others who got through that stage, it's so worth it.

As much as it sucks, get through the next day, then the day after and the weeks after that and it gets easier.

Take weekly pics as well, even though you may not lose much weight in a month, you can still see terrific results in your body shape, that really helps keep you motivated.

I spent the better part of 20 years being overweight and even obese, if I can do it, anyone can ;)
  • JamieN013
    Options
    I get like that a lot, almost every morning when I don't want to get out of bed. =) I always remind myself of how I felt overweight, I feel now with weight lost, and how I have felt before when I was thinner. I know how depressed and absolutely miserable I was when I was heavier. It is a horrible feeling and to know that pushing through a rough day in hopes of a better day tomorrow could be all it takes to never go back.....I think its worth a miserable workout. Some of my best workouts have been on days when I did not even want to show up. Everyone has bad days or days that they feel like they cheated or did not follow guidelines they set out for themselves. As long as you are happy with your decisions for each day then you really didn't cheat anything. Remember why you wanted to make the changes in your life in the beginning. Sometimes a hard, eff the world workout gets me out of the "why bother" mindset into the I can take a beating and come on top mindset.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Maybe forget about the weight loss bit and seeing results straight away. If you eat healthier food you'll feel better. If you exercise you'll get fitter and feel better. Find a fitness programme you can work through to give you an interim goal. Plan a treat for yourself every time you lose 10 pounds. If you slip up, try not to slip up the next day.

I've slipped up loads of times but I'm maintaining now and I discovered I love to run along the way.
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Look at your ticker...10 lbs in a couple weeks is great. You knew that it would taper off some, but you got this under control. Just take the next step forward and stop looking back at what you have done in the past..this is a new beginning for you!!
  • skibunny24
    Options
    You CAN do it! Are you on any particular program? Maybe write your goals down, or re-read them if you already have! Put your thoughts in check and flood your mind with positive thoughts. When I started my diet, they put the candy bowl on my desk for people to take from (for the holidays) because it was the only surface available. Every day, I looked at the candy bowl and said 3 times (or more on a rough day) "Candy IS the enemy!" Sometimes out loud, but with conviction, and I believed myself. I still haven't dipped into that bowl since Thanksgiving!

Ask yourself what is holding your journey up! You can do this!
  • Tujuannaevans
    Options
    Take a deep breath and just relax. You are already a beautiful person on the outside. You want to feel ultra good about yourself in the new year, so go ahead and give that demon a black eye and encourage yourself. Picture yourself at the finish line with the tears rolling down your face in that cute little black dress and high heels. You know you really want this, am I right about it? Get you some theme music and go ahead and get down with the battle plan. I believe in you!:smile:
  • eviledna
    eviledna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same but I know how thoroughly miserable I am when I let the weight pile back on, and then it gets worse because you just comfort eat and think what the hell, and before you know it you're bigger than when you started. You just have to find for you why you are doing it and keep that thought in your head, and you know nothing tastes as good as getting to your goal. We're all here to help and motivate you but there's only one person who can do this and it's you, so let's do it - 2012 bring it on x
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up! I've been in your situation more times than I can count. Over the summer, I hit a 3 month plateau. That was grueling, to say the least. I looked at what I had lost and figured, I don't want to have to redo what I'd already worked hard for and accomplished.

If that doesn't help keep you going, look at people who struggle to get about, use oxygen, etc. You're young still. I watched my parents struggle to the end. It's not a fun way to go. It's a lot of suffering and it was a struggle for them just to walk 20 ft.

Don't give up and waste the efforts you've already invested. Look forward to the future of a better life without all the added struggles. :)

Add me as a friend if you want.

Good luck!!
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    There are always times when progress is slow - but you have to look at what the bigger goal is. It's not just about how you look, it's how you feel and how healthy you are.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Scroll through some of the blogs on MFP, go back to when they first joined, and you will read many inspirational stories that will prove to you that yes, it is worth it.
  • Horskrzy
    Horskrzy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As a parent with 2 adult children (is that an oxymoron?) I’ll be happy to take on your "Why Bother" challenge!

1. Picture # 3 in your photos. Those three kids are and will look to you and your husband for an example in EVERYTHING. How you respond to people (good and bad), your work ethic and the ability to remain honest in situations that you'd rather not deal with are all being observed and WILL BE emulated. Part of this emulation is how we successfully promote a positive approach in eating the right foods and exercising. In my case it took me 54 years to admit that eating anything I wanted, when I wanted, was NOT acceptable to my well-being. I've lost the opportunity to be a good example to my kids and to have a direct impact on what they eat and the exercise they get. So even though I "get it" now and am exercising, losing weight and enjoying better (for me) foods and snacks, I have the people whom I love very much seriously overweight and either struggling to lose, or not caring at all. All I have left to give is encouragement when and if and when they express an interest to lose weight and eat better.

2. You're young. Losing weight will never, never, never get any easier because you ARE getting older and trust me when I tell you that nothing is easier when you get older EXCEPT putting on weight faster and sagging!

3.Your healthy. Just about every posting on this site has someone who will state that previous health issues have disappeared along with their weight loss. I consider myself to be quite healthy but even then, two issues required me to finally start taking medication. The pills have now been thrown out and I’m symptom free. In addition, the near elimination of HEAVY snoring along with the weight loss has made my wife quite happy!

Lastly let me offer you some encouragement. It will get easier (really!). I was an all day and evening grazer when it came to snack food so when I finally stopped procrastinating and really applied myself, the rewards and habit changes came along a lot sooner and easier that I would have expected. I tossed out every bit of junk food at work and at home. I have logged in and posted everything I eat (well, I did miss that pickle last night) for the past 75 days and if that doesn’t make you aware of what you’re eating and the trash you were eating, nothing will! Exercise helps the pounds go off easier as well so don’t let the lack of time or resources be an excuse to not follow through on this key area. Getting your heart rate up 3-4 times a day, 15 minutes at a shot will help! Do you have stairs? Go up and own them for 15 minutes and tell me you didn’t get a cardio workout! Calisthenics can be done anywhere and if you can work in 15 minutes, you’re good for another calorie burner to chart! Are the kids close enough to school for all of you to walk on decent days? Walk their pace there, faster on the way back. Another recordable moment!
    Now is the time for you to take the whole family on this journey. Use your imagination and I KNOW you can make it fun, achieve your goals and your goals for your family as well!

Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing your continued success! :smile:
  • dilleight
    Options
    Just keep logging, have a hot chocolate and go to bed. Tomorrow you'll wake up feeling motivated again.
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    thank you everyone for the positive support. When my husband gets home I am going to go down stairs and run some...I made a promise to myself that when I get like this again I am going to work out, even when I feel like crying (like I did earlier), I wanna do this. I wanna feel better about myself and accomplish a mission that I've been wanting to complete my entire life. I have been over wieght my entire life..example in my summer of 7th grade I had surgery. I was wieghed to figure out the medicine I needed and I was 175 lbs. Thats how much I should wiegh now. I hope you all dont' mind if I add you for support. Thank you so much. :bigsmile: We can do this!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Maybe forget about the weight loss bit and seeing results straight away. If you eat healthier food you'll feel better. If you exercise you'll get fitter and feel better. Find a fitness programme you can work through to give you an interim goal. Plan a treat for yourself every time you lose 10 pounds. If you slip up, try not to slip up the next day.

I've slipped up loads of times but I'm maintaining now and I discovered I love to run along the way.

I like this advice. You might not be able to force the scale or measuring tape to say what you want it to say when you want it to say it, but you and only you are in charge of getting exercise and eating right, so you can't tell yourself, "No, I can't."
  • alangholz
    Options
    You can do this girl! Just like we work through pain in workouts just keep working through this emotional roadblock! You'll feel better on the other side!