Whiskey, Pizza, Yoga, Suicide

Options
I've been at it for 9 months. Who am I kidding? I've been at it since childhood, maybe earlier. Perhaps My mother was at it while carrying me in her womb, and her mother and so on...a legacy of struggle. I've come to terms with something I've always known as a general axiom of life but haven't wholly accepted until now; the quest for health is a life long commitment.

My entire life I've been unhealthy. In 2002 when I made my first real lifestyle change I was 260 lbs. I omitted processed junk, red meat, and other bull**** from my diet. I stopped drinking and partying. I consumed copious amounts of water and teas and juices. I walked everyday for two hours. I lifted weights occasionally, took up yoga, and became generally more conscious and aware of my body, the things I put into it and the way I used it. I altered my mind, my way of thinking to be more positive, more conducive to health. After a few months I was 190 lbs and felt physically and spiritually better than I've ever felt in my life. That was almost 10 years ago

That lifestyle lasted for about a year and before I knew it the calendar was flipping, the awareness was out the window, the pounds were packing on and the depression was setting in. Last April I stepped on the scale and it read '400'---exactly. It takes a lot for me to even admit that here. The cliche ; 'I wanted to die' doesn't even begin to do justice to what I was feeling but at the same time it summed it up exactly. I was overwhelmed. I wanted to give up on everything. I wanted to be dead. I started thinking of some of the best ways to kill myself and I soon realized I was too much of a ***** to really go through with it...which made me even sadder. If I couldn't die I couldn't go on living the way I was living so 9 years after my first real lifestyle change, it was time for another shift. (There were many false starts and failed attempts over the years but they don't even qualify as anecdotes here)

I went back to basics. I began walking everyday. Cut the bull**** from my diet, upped my water intake, started lifting weights again. I started keeping a food and exercise journal. And I found Bikram Yoga. Without getting into a dissertation as to how Bikram can save the world (which I'm totally convinced it can) I'll say this; Bikram changed my life. Never ever has any 1 thing I've committed myself to had such a rapid and positive effect on EVERY aspect of my life. My breath was deeper, thoughts clearer, my mind was calm. My body started changing instantly, tone and definition started to appear like someone was carving me out of wax. I was back on track. After 6 months I was down to 330 lbs and felt closer to my old self than ever before.

And I think right there I've put my finger on the problem. Who exactly is my old self? Is it the guy sweating buckets in a Bikram studio, swigging water by the gallon, going to bed at 9:00pm on a Friday night and swearing off drugs and alcohol? Or is the guy at the end of the bar with a bottle of whisky trying to figure out where to get a pizza at 4 AM? Because both those guys're me.

After my second paradigm shift earlier this year I lost focus. Lost 70 pounds put back on 20. Started drinking more, eating like crap, blowing off exercise and feeling a lot more like the latter of those 'old selfs' I mentioned. There's also of ton of peripheral psychological and emotional **** whirling around me but I'm not going to begin to blame one for the other or start a deluge of 'why me's' so I'll talk all the credit ---I just can't stay focused.

So, after all these changes, these shifts, these lessons I've awakened to that truth I mentioned earlier. That health..real physical, spiritual, and mental health is a lifelong commitment. What it boils down to is balance. Not extremism. Not giving up one way of thought for another but allowing yourself to be wide open for change. Giving yourself choices and not beating yourself up for making the bad ones. It's cliche...it's corny...it's elementary...it's the truth.

So, here ago...back on the journey, re-committed, re-focused, and balanced. Calibrated to achieve optimum health in all aspects of my life....ready to create the healthiest future for myself and the life I'm leading...and knowing full well that there will absolutely be whisky and pizza in that future.

Replies

• Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I believe it is all about balance. When you deprive yourself of everything you love, you'll never be happy and won't stick with it. Good luck on your journey to finding your balance. You can do it!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing. I wish you well. Don't lose who you are. :)
  • Heidi_Edgi
    Heidi_Edgi Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love the honesty:-) it's so freakin hard to completly stop eating the food that you love. I allow myself one cheat meal a week so I don't go bonkers and lose all self control. Maybe you could use this tactic to. Then, when you're faced with bad food, you don't have to say no- just make that your cheat meal. Good luck!
  • megaron01
    megaron01 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good on you man! Who doesn't want to eat pizza & drink alcohol?? But there's always a price to pay for all that & it's way too high. It's good to hear that you keep gettin' back on the wagon after you fall off. Stay on the straight & narrow & good luck this time around!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!! Your honesty is refreshing!!
  • disciplineisgood
    disciplineisgood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It took me 45 yrs. to learn this lesson. Good job!
  • disciplineisgood
    disciplineisgood Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It took me 45 yrs. to learn this lesson. Good job!
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It takes a good bit of testicular fortitude to put your problems out there for people to see.

Keep fighting!
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    Wow... This is so well put. I think you have summed up my life. I have been such a yo yo that I'm finally beginning to accept that I will struggle, I will fall, but I will also succeed some too. Great post!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wow ~ we are living parallel lives ;) Hang in there brother =)
  • Momkat65
    Momkat65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    you are not alone
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Great post! I think we can all relate to that!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Dude..... keep rockin it, there are some super supportive people here that will stand beside you or behind you to give a shove when needed.

You only truly fail when you stop trying.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I loved what you wrote. It kept me wanting to read the next sentence. you know how to keep a reader interested. But, I do feel you, im a whiskey and pizza gal and all of that has contributed to my constant battle of weight problems since high school. Currently I have been only letting myself have a dirnk now and then. I like my jim beam with diet coke every so often and will make room. And with pizza I will make it homemade... okay I made it homemade once but when i order I only let myself eat one slice!!!!! :D:D
    That way I can still enjoy it : )
    Good luck on your journey and never completely cut out what you truly like.. When I did that I would just completely fail then when I incorporated it within means of my dieting, my diet has always worked out better and I am more likely to stick to my guns.
  • zanneydae
    Options
    I don't usually read the blogs but when I saw this title I couldn't resist reading it. I too have battled my weight for my entire life and know the how each decision I make throughout the day can make or break my current plan of action. Keep up the good work!
  • TheMrs1006
    TheMrs1006 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great post! I think we can all relate to that!

Absolutely
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    And I think right there I've put my finger on the problem. Who exactly is my old self? Is it the guy sweating buckets in a Bikram studio, swigging water by the gallon, going to bed at 9:00pm on a Friday night and swearing off drugs and alcohol? Or is the guy at the end of the bar with a bottle of whisky trying to figure out where to get a pizza at 4 AM? Because both those guys're me.

This is me too...right down to the preferences for Bikram and whiskey.

If I'm too focused on health I feel like an uptight person who isn't any fun, so I feel absolutely no remorse about indulging in vices. Just as long as it doesn't get out of hand and turn into a lifestyle.
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much of your post sounded familiar! I, too, have begun a life change. And like you, I'm working on not only focusing on the physical, but the spiritual too. (Could not agree with you more about the yoga aspect!) I also feel like I have those two different me's that are battling it out. Your honesty is refreshing and touching. Let's be friends! :smile:
  • Great post! You can do it :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    As you say, they are both you. And you can eat pizza and drink beer AND be fit and active. Embrace both sides.