"Miracle noodles?"

Options
I've heard conflicting things: a godsend, shredded jellyfish, smells like feet, etc.

I wish these weren't too good to be true, because I'm a noodle fiend. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I personally love them, but you can't go in expecting noodles. Different taste and texture (which I actually like better than normal noodles). Make sure to rinse them well first. Soaking them in milk for a few minutes also helps to take away the smell.
  • Jdubmarie
    Jdubmarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tried them once and thought they were decent. I put spaghetti sauce on top and wasn't a huge fan of that but I want to try them again with some olive oil, garlic, and parmesan.
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I personally love them, but you can't go in expecting noodles. Different taste and texture (which I actually like better than normal noodles). Make sure to rinse them well first. Soaking them in milk for a few minutes also helps to take away the smell.

Are they softer? I LOVE overcooked ramen, is it anything similar? I read somewhere that if you rinse them, then toast them in a dry skillet they are a little more noodle-like...
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    they are kinda chewy.
  • maniv01
    maniv01 Posts: 12
    Options
    Now I'm curious!! Where can I find this noodles?
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love them but it took a few times before that happened. Like the first person said, don't expect them to be like pasta noodles. The texture is completely different, and they take on the flavor of whatever you have seasoned them with. If I'm using them for anything other than soup, I'll dry roast them first to get rid of any excess water so I don't water down what I'm eating. You'll definitely want to rinse them first.

I eat them in place of rice and pasta now. For rice I simply cut them into small pieces, rinse them and then dry roast.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like them and think they're a good alternative to pasta. You definitely can't expect them to have the same texture and consistency as pasta, but you can use them in lots of different ways. I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic so watching carbs is important to me, but I love pasta and these are an excellent substitute for pasta cravings. Before I discovered them I was using spaghetti squash as a pasta alternative but these are way better!
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like them, but you'll be disappointed if you think they will be 'just like noodles'. I made the peanut sauce recipe (I think it was on the website) and my husband and I agreed that we could use those instead of noodles.
  • CrystalMarie253
    Options
    I really really wanna try these but I've yet to try to find a place where they are sold by my house.
  • rswarrick
    rswarrick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Once you get past the preservative smell and wash them, they are ok. They are a little rubbery, but fine with a curry or any kind of substantial sauce. It helps as a filler. Don't try to eat them just with butter/garlic!!
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love them. You have to rinse them well. Then you have to boil them for a couple of minutes. All the fishy smell will be gone if you do this. They are very versatile in cooking. They are also very filling. They are not something you would eat alone since they really have no taste. You have to blend them with something else. I'm not a spaghetti fan but I have made Asian style recipes with them which make them very tasty. I also enjoy them with curry sauces. Simple butter or olive oil sautees are nice too but there is too many calories in the oil and butter.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    ^^^ excactly! Love them!
  • nikicrin
    nikicrin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    does anyone know if this is just a US thing? am in UK...

thanks
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    they are kinda chewy.

I couldn't think of how to explain the texture but this is it!
    They gross me out beyond belief. They ruined my appetite and that's really hard to do.
    I had two bags I threw them both in the trash they smelled, tasted, and felt bad.

You won't really know until you buy a bag and try it. =]
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I didn't find that the ones I buy are smelly but I've only used the actual Miracle Noodles (brand name) and I rinsed them in water pretty well. I think they are a little chewy, and the texture is definitely a bit different than spaghetti, but I've used them in stir fry and they were awesome that way. They are a lot like cellophane or glass noodles (clear rice noodles). My husband doesn't even question them when I add them to stir fry and he questions ANYTHING that's even remotely different.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can order them online http://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx You can also see videos and recipes there as well.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    does anyone know if this is just a US thing? am in UK...

thanks
    http://miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx

They ship to the UK. I buy mine from Amazon.com, so you might check there as well.
  • Amandastout
    Options
    Does anyone know where you can usually find them? And a brand name perhaps? I really want to try as well!
  • kashmirkat
    kashmirkat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use them in stir fry type dishes the most as they seem to work best (IMO) in that situation. I buy them at the Asian grocery where they are MUCH cheaper than buying the 'miracle noodles' in the ad. Look for shirataki or yam noodles in the asian market if you go that route :) I haven't bought them in a while, I might have to get some soon, thanks for the reminder! lol

(in the refrigerated section is where I find them if it helps)
  • lisa91263
    Options
    Where can you get them in the U.S