Bought new shoes - folks with wide feet.....

Options
porka29
porka29 Posts: 868 Member
:grumble: Okay, truth be said, since I have been working out my cardio in the gym quite sporadically until right before the first of the year, I had not updated my shoes. To say the least I fell off the wagon when I realized the place I bought my shoes was no longer in business (:laugh: ) and mine looked dirty (nike cross trainers). With that said, my feet were also kinda hurting around the little toes - and I've lost weight!!!!

I went to Sports Authority and decided I just needed to buy new shoes and to heck with the way they look (a previous problem of mine as my feet are wide so it looks wide - thus I buy "normal" sized shoes to make my feet look less big TO ME!!:noway: ) and I ended the quest with New Balance running shoes. I tried several others, but ended up with the running shoes because although I am not close to running consistently, they did not hurt and came in a wide size. So I bit the bullet and bought a wide (something I was so against in the past for stupid reasons....vanity) shoe, of which New Balance had many. In the past I have found Nike worked good for me, some Addidas but this felt good.

Haven't tried it out yet, but will update when I do. So, if you are reading, you may have a wide foot problem (like they go numb on some machines, etc.) and I'm curious what you're weraring and/or if you have been going the route like me hoping that the shoes will"break in" - don't do it - I've got bunions and blister scars to prove such...............:cry:

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found a good pair of sneaks...let me know hoe the new balance works for you...I have the other problem, I wear a size 3 in childrens shoes, most times a ladies 5 is way too big on my stupid skimpy bird feet...Adidas so far the only kids shoe that doesn't have lights in the soles when I walk, or make bloody squeaky noises and have glitter all over them...shoes are tough!
  • JessDan17
    JessDan17 Posts: 9
    Options
    Christie,

I have wide feet and weak joints. Had the same problem with my feet going numb. About two months ago, I started with some new shoes my Jazzercise instructor recommended, Nike Shocks (wide ones). I added some arch supports and they are great. I still occasionally get some sore joints, but the numbness and pain in my feet are gone.
    Good luck!
  • porka29
    Options
    I'm glad you found a good pair of sneaks...let me know hoe the new balance works for you...I have the other problem, I wear a size 3 in childrens shoes, most times a ladies 5 is way too big on my stupid skimpy bird feet...Adidas so far the only kids shoe that doesn't have lights in the soles when I walk, or make bloody squeaky noises and have glitter all over them...shoes are tough!

MG - funny you mention the noise........my addidas hiking shoes make that noise and I have broken them in LONG ago........in fact according to most studies I should not even be wearing them anymore. I feel your pain :laugh: cause I know little feet (my ma was a 5 or 6 ladies) can be hard too, I'm really about a 8 1/2 but decided to upgrade to a 9 which is better but went wide....I will keep you posted.
  • porka29
    Options
    Christie,

I have wide feet and weak joints. Had the same problem with my feet going numb. About two months ago, I started with some new shoes my Jazzercise instructor recommended, Nike Shocks (wide ones). I added some arch supports and they are great. I still occasionally get some sore joints, but the numbness and pain in my feet are gone.
    Good luck!

Thanks Jess - I saw those but didn't try them.......I hope I got lucky cause I don't think you can take them back after wearing them!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I only wear NB to work out. I went to a store that specialized in fitting runners and they fitted me. NB does run about 1/2 size small, so you should size up 1/2 size....or in my case, a full size as I normally wear a 10. And, I love the wide size. A running store will study your gait, how you stand, how you run and will suggest the right brand and style for you. I'm NOT a runner, but the same rules apply whether walking or on the machines. My feet never hurt, never go tingly or numb and the support is great. It's well worth paying extra and going to a store that specializes in fitting a shoe for your specific needs.
  • porka29
    Options
    I only wear NB to work out. I went to a store that specialized in fitting runners and they fitted me. NB does run about 1/2 size small, so you should size up 1/2 size....or in my case, a full size as I normally wear a 10. And, I love the wide size. A running store will study your gait, how you stand, how you run and will suggest the right brand and style for you. I'm NOT a runner, but the same rules apply whether walking or on the machines. My feet never hurt, never go tingly or numb and the support is great. It's well worth paying extra and going to a store that specializes in fitting a shoe for your specific needs.

Okay, now this makes sense, I was sooo worried about buying a 9 wide, I normally wear an 8 1/2 and they did not have that one in wide so now I feel ALOT better about my decision!
  • Etta
    Etta Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet and have tried many brands, but New Balance was the one that worked best for me. I didn't really realize it until Dec when I tossed my worn out New Balance running shoes and got another brand. My feet went numb on the elliptical (which never happened to me before). I got some NBs and my feet are lovin' me for it.
    Oh, I also have very low arches and they help for that, too.

126046.png
  • porka29
    Options
    I have wide feet and have tried many brands, but New Balance was the one that worked best for me. I didn't really realize it until Dec when I tossed my worn out New Balance running shoes and got another brand. My feet went numb on the elliptical (which never happened to me before). I got some NBs and my feet are lovin' me for it.
    Oh, I also have very low arches and they help for that, too.

126046.png

Okay, now I'm hopeful that I can attempt the elliptical again (which has seemed to kick my butt after 5-7 minutes cause all I think about are my feet!) and may even be able to work up to what I see all these folks at my gym doing. I mean, I feel really good about doing 40 minutes on the stationary upright bike, but I see people going longer on the ept (:laugh: no not preg test lol) and I can't even stomach it....I have high hopes after all your feedback - that is why I love this site!
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I :heart: LOVE:heart: NB for my 7.5 wide feet! I found them before I was pregnant. Then during my pregnancy they were a life saver (I worked on my feet all day).

Plus, they have excellent customer service. I got a new pair after I had my son (cause I walked differetly after having him)....something was wrong with them and both of my big toe nails turned black and blue and I lost the nails. I called the company and they replaced them with a $120 pair!!! I love them and will never stray:happy:
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet too but hated NB for running, they didn't suit my feet because they weren't supportive enough, I ended up with Mizuno Wave Renegade's (last years model from shoes.com) with extra support because my feet turn in when I run and LOVE them! I hope you LOVE your new shoes though!
  • porka29
    Options
    I :heart: LOVE:heart: NB for my 7.5 wide feet! I found them before I was pregnant. Then during my pregnancy they were a life saver (I worked on my feet all day).

Plus, they have excellent customer service. I got a new pair after I had my son (cause I walked differetly after having him)....something was wrong with them and both of my big toe nails turned black and blue and I lost the nails. I called the company and they replaced them with a $120 pair!!! I love them and will never stray:happy:

Well, I had shoes and braces on my legs when I was a kid, so my gait has never been up to par along with my toes not completely moving to where they should've been. With that said, I went to a party, wore some high heeled shoes I had with a platform in the front too, which seems to help - danced, fell (gopher hole in the sod :laugh: ) and had one black and one bleeder) didn't lose them but know what you mean and it's such a creepy weird feeling!
  • porka29
    Options
    I have wide feet too but hated NB for running, they didn't suit my feet because they weren't supportive enough, I ended up with Mizuno Wave Renegade's (last years model from shoes.com) with extra support because my feet turn in when I run and LOVE them! I hope you LOVE your new shoes though!

Yeah Charlie - I am not up to running at all, but I know what you mean, I have a friend who worked for Mizuno and she recommended them once I get to a higher level - if I do - cause I feel like a clidesdale on the treadmill - can people hear what I hear?:tongue:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I ended up going to a running store to get my shoes(Aardvark Sports Shop for those who live in the Lehigh Valley, PA area).

They're a pure running store, and everyone there is pretty much an expert on fitting you with a shoe. They'll ask you to bring in a pair of well worn shoes to see how your foot falls. They'll have you walk on a treadmill to see how your arch moves when you press down. They'll measure everything about your foot, and then pair you with the best shoe you can get for your price range. I have yet to be disappointed there. You pay more for a running store, but they have shoes about as wide as they come, and your feet love you for it.
  • porka29
    Options
    I ended up going to a running store to get my shoes(Aardvark Sports Shop for those who live in the Lehigh Valley, PA area).

They're a pure running store, and everyone there is pretty much an expert on fitting you with a shoe. They'll ask you to bring in a pair of well worn shoes to see how your foot falls. They'll have you walk on a treadmill to see how your arch moves when you press down. They'll measure everything about your foot, and then pair you with the best shoe you can get for your price range. I have yet to be disappointed there. You pay more for a running store, but they have shoes about as wide as they come, and your feet love you for it.

Good point msarro! I know I have one of these here in S Florida so if my choice does not work out the way I was hoping, I will go this direction, thanks!
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am a size 11 wide! It is extremely difficult to find attractive shoes that also double as good cross trainers in my size. I myself stick with New Balance. They are by far the most comfortable shoe I have every worn and I used to work 12 hours shifts on my feet years back and never had a days trouble out of my feet. So over the weekend I purchase a snazzy pair of New Balance running shoes and love them. My knees and feet are thanking me for it as well. :)
  • porka29
    Options
    Okay, had a great test drive on my shoes today. Like I said, I primarily like the stationary upright bike or treadmill as I haven't built up more more endurance yet - BUT, aside from tying one shoe too tight (that was dang annorying) all was well and the little tootsies were fine afterward. Yayy! Obviously the real test will be treadmill and/or ellipitical.................but so far so good - can't take em back now cause I got mango juice on one from cutting up a TON of mangos to freeze from the damn tree that is killing me!:laugh:

Thanks for all your feedback, I should've known I wasn't the lone ranger on the wide feet and problems issue!:blushing:
  • Das_Modell
    Das_Modell Posts: 167
    Options
    My foot dr. told me i should buy some new shoes so i figured since i'll be exercising (especially walking, jogging etc) i should buy some running shoes. So i bought a pair of New Balance i think they are a 505 Running. im not sure, i can't find it on their site. I bought them from Famous Footwear for 'bout $54. Haven't gotten to really walk in them because it's been 90+ degrees out the past week or so :frown: