At-Home Exercise Must-Haves?

Options
So, I was bent on joining a gym, but the only gym in my area is about 60 bucks a month, and my wallet started crying just thinking about what that would start to add up to. I'm heading out to grab a few things like a yoga mat, and am wondering what you find most helpful? Also, what are your favourite exercise videos to use at home? ^^

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If you get time to yourself, I would say run. I can't get into videos or exercising at home, but there is nothing better than setting off for a run outside.
  • steffy1724
    steffy1724 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    get some weights----3lbs-8lbs would be good. Also exercise gloves. And the videos I like are 30 day shred, insanity and chaLEAN extreme. I joined a gym and hated going cause of daycare and what not, then I started doing insanity, finished it, and am now on 30day shred, chaLEAN is next! I don't ever want to go back to a gym. :) Also a good pilates video would work great too.
  • lemonjune
    lemonjune Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have to work myself up to running. x) We aren't exactly good friends. Plus, it's very icy in my neighbourhood right now, and I can't quite afford a treadmill ATM. (Excuses, excuses. >.> )
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    A jump rope, a sand bag (though they can be expensive...you can substitute by buying a small duffle bag and filling it with bags of flour or rice), a stability ball, a medicine ball, maybe some light weights...
  • lemonjune
    Options
    I have a feeling I'm going to need to make a list. x) Great suggestions!! :D
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    ALSO! Bodyrock.tv is a FANTASTIC site for home workouts...minimal equipment...short, intense workouts that you can adjust for your own level. Check it out!
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking is excellent exercise. If you have stairs you can walk up and down them.

I use a Wii fit plus, static bike, step machine, rebounder and two cans of food to excercise at home. It all depends on what you feel comfortable doing. Better to do something you enjoy than nothing at all.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Now I run, but I've looked on ebay/Amazon/craigslist for various WO videos. I like use the following on non-running days or in adverse weather:

30 day Shred
    The Firm
    Yoga

The Shred video I bought for $9 at the time, and already had 2, 5, 8lb weights.

A lot of people swear by kettlebells.
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    I do bodyrock and all I need is a yoga mat!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    There are tons of workouts you can do at home. I don't miss the gym and get better workouts at home.
  • lemonjune
    Options
    *-* So many different things! It's good to know there's so many gym-free options for working out, though. :smile:
  • BooLives82
    BooLives82 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like Carmen Electras work out video. All you need is a Chair, plus you learn how to give a sexy lap dance for your spouse. I also love Bob's work out from the Biggest loser. I have a Stability ball and that is it. I got Zumba for the Wii and I love that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    A jump rope, a sand bag (though they can be expensive...you can substitute by buying a small duffle bag and filling it with bags of flour or rice), a stability ball, a medicine ball, maybe some light weights...

Just a normal empty sand bag (a couple of them so you can put on in the other to keep any sand from leaking) can be purchase for very little at Home Depot, Lowes and other stores like that. Fill it with the amount of sand you want (also available at those sort of locations), tie the end firmly. Put the full bag in the other empty one and tie it firmly and you have a sand bag for very little cost.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    youtube :tongue: I have a long playlist of favorite zumba routines
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I really like Amy Dixon's 'Breathless Body' workout. It's on DVD for about $14.99. I can burn 700+ calories in an hour with the workout. It doesn't require any extra equipment or a lot of space.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    DVDS are Zumba, Jillian Michaels, Jackie Warner and Denise Austin of course every time i go to Wal-Mart i get a new DVD i also bought my hubby a new weight bench for Christmas we have 2,5,10 and 20 lb. weights. a stability ball a yoga block a stepper. ok so i'm building a home gym because even though i can go for free the closest gym is 30 min away and gas is to expensive for me to drive everyday also walking is free good luck to you!
  • rachs08
    rachs08 Posts: 12
    Options
    I personally love the Jillian Michael's workouts. Some of them are really difficult if just starting out, but she does have modification moves for beginners in some of the exercises. I received a 3 set DVD of hers which included Banish Fat Boost your Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones and 30 day shred. Two of the DVD's are 45min workouts and the 30 day shred is only 20min. I usually alternate between all 3 of them to get different workouts in. Anyways, I got it online at Amazon for like $30 and they are all awesome! I use 3lb weights and that's what she uses in her videos. You may wanna check them out.
  • tvhall
    tvhall Posts: 1
    Options
    2nd hand elliptical trainer in the garage. 18 minutes for 200 calories. Easy calories.
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have been using Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. I have done the level one workout about 8 times over the past month. I wanted to post to say that after doing it the first time I thought I would never continue. I was real BAD. But I have stuck with it and I am getting BETTER! For the record: I am still many workouts away from being anywhere near GOOD, but I love that I am improving.

Also...It helps if you have a special place to excercise at home. My adult daughter has recently moved away and within a week I had converted her small bedroom to a yoga studio. It's tiny and I have to be careful not to reach up into the ceiling fan...but it's still nice to have a dedicated space.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Space!
    Clean out a nice area to workout where you will not bump into furniture.
    Space and a yoga mat is all you need.