No wonder the obesity rate is up

Options
would be nice if they offered smaller portions at cheaper prices and posted nutrition labels at restaurants. I guess the moral is put half in a to-go box as soon as you order because you are essentially buying 2 meals!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/user-post-portion-explosion-456931/

Replies

• Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    I know! it's hard. now people (like me) think that is a normal meal. and feel unsatisfied with smaller portions.:mad:
  • angel1face
    angel1face Posts: 110
    Options
    has anyone watched the movie supersize me? it explains alot
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Funny I read this now...I have to go to lunch tomorrow with my mom, so I'm making a lit of acceptable items to eat at her usual restaraunt choices...and I'm having a hard time finding anything or anywhere I can eat. I'm salad-ed out, but they may be my only option to stay at a reasonable calorie level for one meal. Arrrggh!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    Funny I read this now...I have to go to lunch tomorrow with my mom, so I'm making a lit of acceptable items to eat at her usual restaraunt choices...and I'm having a hard time finding anything or anywhere I can eat. I'm salad-ed out, but they may be my only option to stay at a reasonable calorie level for one meal. Arrrggh!

just like leann, said order what you like, but be sure only to eat about 1/3 of it. then bring the rest home for dinner and then again for a lunch the next day. you will get to enjoy your favorite splurge meal 3 times. you could also eat half for the lunch , then a salad at home for dinner and do the same the next day, then your biggest calories are in the afternoon when you have the time to burn them off. and be sure to exercise both days and work really hard to sweat and burn cal. then you really should be able to just go with your mom and enjoy yourself. don't worry so much, you'll do great if you go in with a plan.:smile:
    P.S. drink water instead of soda or alcohol. saves alot of calories.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options

be careful some of those salads have alot more calories than you think! My hardest thing is turning down the fresh bread or rolls when they put them in front of me!:grumble:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I don't know where everyone is from, but here in Ontario, the resaurants have to provide nutrional info, The keg for example has iton their website, and you can get it on a special meny insert, Wendys' and McD's have them posted on the wall inside the restaurant...it's like that everywhere, I thought all restaurants did that!
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    Hahaha, definitely not here. Some websites sate that they cannot provide accurate nutrition data b/c there dishes are specially crafted to order. And if you ask some restaraunts will just refuse to give yo uthat information; I've just made it a point to not visit those establishments that don't post them. Several here that I can remember are that don't post their stuff online: Perkin's Restaurant, Red Lobster (only offers infor for a few items), TGI Fridays (only offers info for a few items) -- I know ther's more b/c I always have to be very selective about what we choose to eat. ANd even when they do post, they can be really wrong: http://www.nypost.com/seven/09282008/news/nationalnews/weight_botchers_menu_at____131118.htm

Crazy, huh?!?
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in Iowa and a lot of restaurants post a low cal/carb menu - I tend to favor something like a spicy chicen or shrimp or a very lean steak when I eat out. Instead of potato, I get grilled or steamed veg, 1 piece of bread. It still tends to use a bit of your calories, but I simply eat veg / fruit for the other meal. In this way I can still enjoy eating out. I hope this helps.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    McDonalds announced it’s considering a more humane way of slaughtering its animals. You know they fatten them up and then kill them. You know the same thing they do to their customers, isn’t it? :laugh: :laugh:
  • lenece
    lenece Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    go to www. calorieking.com it gives thousands of different items from everywhere and will tell you what the calories are in the food u put in
  • laniirvin
    laniirvin Posts: 94
    Options

Do you ever eat at olive garden? I do the Lunch portion Venitian Apricot Chicken w. Sauce on side and a bowl of minestrone soup 380 calories. I pick the pasta out of the soup which probably knocks it down a little and I only use 1/10 of the sauce. Don't eat any bread! Good Luck
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Molsongirl, I wish McD's would announce a more humane way of slaughtering mankind (fat, cals, sodium)!
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Ha! The salads are the worst usually. 1100 calories in an Applebees shrimp and spinach salad. Over 800 calories in the Applebees california salad. Restaruants take a healthy food and pour bacon grease on top (but damn it's so good).

Lynnie