how bad is eating late?

Options
Should you still refrain from eating if you have calories left for the day? I just got back from the gym and had about 100 of my original 1200 cal left and burned 250 at the gym. How bad would it be if I ate some tuna and crackers?

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Should you still refrain from eating if you have calories left for the day? I just got back from the gym and had about 100 of my original 1200 cal left and burned 250 at the gym. How bad would it be if I ate some tuna and crackers?

I eat right up until about an hour before bedtime, tuna and lettuce wraps is what I usually eat, or a bowl of mixed fruit. Others swear off eating past a certain time, whatever works for you, if your body is telling you it's hungry and you have the calories and it's a healthy choice, then go for it.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I agree with MG.

I don't have a set time to stop eating before going to bed. I usually have a snack/dessert about 1-2 hours before I go to bed. If I'm hungry, I eat!
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yeah, although I have this problem less than my bf, if he doesn't eat when he has extra calories left over he wakes up hungry and doesn't do much about it. I have made some snacks pre-made for him in times like this, cause if the body is hungry feed it or it will go into starvation, right? That was what I gathered from all my reading here....................
  • chickadee10
    chickadee10 Posts: 350
    Options
    I usually try not to eat after 6 or 7, but I haven't been doing too well with that lately.
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would come up a definite answer on this question of eating before bed. As I do frequently and I don't want to hinder my weight loss.
  • angelascott919
    Options
    Our schedules can be a bit crazy so I eat any time I feel really hungry. I have found that I feel better and satified and sleep better is I eat than if I deprive myself.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    I've had a snack of high fiber cereal with either plain soy milk or non fat yogurt between 8:30 and 9:30 every night for the last 18 weeks. I plan the snack in advance along with the meals for my day so I know there are enough calories. so far I've lost between one and three pounds a week. It's working for me. When it stops working, I'll change my plan. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You read some many different opinions on this very topic! I know perople who eat full meals at 9 pm and they are thin. I guess it is up to the individual. For me, I don't like to eat heavy late in the evening. My heavy meal is early afternoon, and it becomes progressively lighter later in the day. I hate to wake up full. Eating lighter means you should be hungry for a good breakfast!
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    Whenever I let myself snack at night, I always feel really guilty, even if it's something that's not bad. I know there's a "No Late Night Snacking Group Here", if you need some motivation not to snack at night.
  • horstboys5
    horstboys5 Posts: 36
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I just watched someone say on tv that the eating before bed doesn't matter it's still a math formula calories in vs. calories out. I think you should eat most of your calories during the daylight but if you didn't and you still have some left over I think it doesn't matter.
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a definite answer to this question.
    Everything doesn't work the same for everyone.
    As for me, it does. I've done it most of my life and I've been fine.

~Jo :flowerforyou:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about calories in and calories out, not so much about WHEN you eat them. True, your body doesn't burn as efficiently at night...because it resting, and eating late may cause you to not sleep as well, especially if you eat a lot of eat spicy foods or rich foods. But I look at it this way....if your body doesn't burn all the calories you eat at night because it's resting, it will store them, and then burn them when you are up the next day and as fuel when you exercise. Bottom line for me is, DANG IT, I'm owed those calories and no one is going to take them away from me just cause it's late. (I'm very protective of my food!) :laugh: :laugh:
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thought I would bring this back b/c of the April challenge on late eating. On nights I work out I normally don't get home until around 8 and depending on what dinner is, I may not eat until 8:30 or even 9 on some occassions. Any new thoughts on this? Are there certain foods that are worse to eat late at night?