Keep going over on protein

Options
Will it affect my weight loss much? Today I am over by 16.. see my profile for what I m eating x

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    So do Ii, and no, it won't...its good for you, and if you are active, it's definitely a plus!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    I don't think you can really go "over" with protein. If anything the recommended here undershoots most people's needs and with protein, you can't really get too much per se, so long as you're meeting your calorie totals.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I get any where from 95-120 grams a day!! Your body needs it to build lean muscle so it's good for ya!!
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will hinder your weight loss. I always go over as well. Just watch your calories and choose whole healthy foods and the rest should take care of itself!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If your toal calories are under, why would going over in protein hinder weight loss?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Will it affect my weight loss much? Today I am over by 16.. see my profile for what I m eating x

As long as you are not going over on total calories then it shouldn't affect weight loss. Unless you've been advised by a doctor to limit protein due to disease it won't hurt you to go over. Protein is filling so it might actually help you stick to your calorie goal.
  • clare1510
    Options
    My protein on this is way under what I have been told elsewhere to have so I dont think it will have an impact on your weight loss. Protein is meant to keep you fuller for longer anyway! x
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    They never said the number was a maximum.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Go over on protein as much as you want. It's not going to hurt you and it might even help you retain muscle mass. It will also help you feel full.
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Go over on protein as much as you want. It's not going to hurt you and it might even help you retain muscle mass. It will also help you feel full.

Yes... this is important and wasn't mentioned specifically before. If you don't get enough (I hear recommendations as high as 1g per lb of your weight?) then your body will break down protein for food. It will take this from muscles otherwise and you'll lose muscle which otherwise was helping you burn more calories (takes energy to maintain muscle) and our bodies don't really discriminate in what kind of muscle they take from either, so it may also result in protein lost from ORGANS (including heart). Make sure to get lots of protein and always eat the protein first in your meals!
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Way better than going over on carbs, fat, and sodium!

Protein is great!
  • bored4long
    bored4long Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Your protein % is so low, there will be no harm in the overage you are consuming. But the answers of "there is no harm" is only accurate to a certain degree. Look up Ketosis. At some point, depriving your body of carbs will have a negative impact. That is not a concern in your case. So my answer is the same as others, you can go way over your targeted protein without concern.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My protein has been in the red every day of this journey. It won't hurt you :)
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my protein was over by 59 because I ate tuna and chicken for lunch and dinner. I posted the same ? because it worried me. I too believe it is better to go over on protein than carbs especially when working out.