Green Tea

Options
Do you drink it? I cant stand the taste, but how does it help with health and/or weight loss? Im sure I could google, but I'd rather hear personal opinions and experiences. Perhaps I could learn to love it if I knew its benefits.

Replies

• Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of it especially with the citrus flavoring. I have heard both sides, it was good, then it wasn't. I drink it every once in a while, not all the time :) Sorry, wish I had more info :smile:
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Any links to weight loss are just because of the amount of caffeine which of course is a stimulant. You could do the same with any non-sweetened caffeinated drink (e.g. coffee, diet soda).
    You'd have to take massive amounts to really have a worthwhile impact on weight loss and that much caffeine would probably give you the negative side-effects associated with stimulants.
  • jrhose
    jrhose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Supposedly these are the benefits:

Green Tea Benefits

The best health benefit of green tea is that it helps you lose weight. In addition to weight loss, here are some other benefits of green tea:

Scientific studies have shown that it may slow weight gain and fight obesity. In the journal Obesity, Pennsylvania State University researchers found that a compound in most kinds of green tea called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (or EGCG) slows weight gain in mice.
    Studies also suggest that green tea may reduce bad cholesterol.
    It helps your body increase its metabolism and burn more calories. Your body can burn fat more efficiently and it reduces the fattening effects of carbohydrates (consider for a minute that Japanese people live on a diet of rice and noodles!).
    It also acts as a natural appetite suppressant.

I'm a tea drinker, so don't mind the taste. I can't honestly say if it's helped me in those areas above.
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    http://blogcritics.org/scitech/article/the-healthy-skeptic-fda-rejects-claim/

FDA rejected when a company tried to make the claim that it has cardiovascular benefits because there's no evidence to support that claim.
  • mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    interesting......
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love green tea now but didn't use to - it was something I really wanted to like so I started with green tea flavoured with vanilla (makes it sweeter). When I got used to it it was easier to try other flavoured ones and eventually on to plain.

I don't know anything about the health benefits. Just my thoughts if it's something you want to try :)
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I drink the Green Tea version of sleepytime at night before bed but during the day I favor Oolong tea. It's a step between green and black and tastes kind of like an Earl Gray. Very good! And they say that it helps to increase your metabolism more than green tea. I'm not sure if it's helped or not but I enjoy it so I keep drinking it.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink Green Tea. I like Celestial seasonings. They have this one that is Antioxidant and Green Tea that tastes like fruit Tea. I started with that and have worked my way to the Lemon and Ginseng flavor. I really like green tea. I like how my body responds to it. I can tell the difference from coffee to green tea. Sometimes I get gittery when I drink coffee. Since I've started drinking green tea I notice that my body craves it.... which can't be a bad thing...

As far as benefits of loosing weight, since I drink it plain it doesn't have the calories that soda and vita waters have. I don't think it hurts because it is good for you, but I don't think the tea alone would achieve the results i'm looking for. I hope that helps.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try using a large mug (2 cups) and use one green tea bag and one Trader Joe's Caffeine Free Organic Mint Melange tea (a blend of peppermint, lemon grass, and spearmint). It's yummy!
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I've finally come to terms with the fact that despite liking other varieties of tea, green just doesn't do it for me. I find it tolerable with lots of lemon, but I enjoy other types of tea much more, so I've given up on the green. Not worth it.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love green tea and drink it all the time. It does nothing for weight loss.
  • SimplySamee
    Options
    in short- YES. green tea works!

but if you dont mind, let me share a little of my personal experience:

2 green tea/day + 1 large cup grapefruit/orange juice + dry fruits (whenever i feel hungry - added with milk separately if required) = IT WORKS!

provided -

- low fat, low oil, almost zero sugar diet
    - 5/6 days workout (and jogging)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I personally have a hard time drinking a lot of water so I buy the Arizona Diet Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey. It's got zero's allll the way down and I actually really like it. Sometimes they're on sale 2 for $5 too so I keep a jug at work and one at home.

I also like to believe that it helps me slim down as well as boost immunity. But...I have no idea if it really does. If you google stuff you'll see some people say it helps increase metabolism but again, I have no idea if it's really the case.