Cardio and knee pain

Options
Damn knee still hurting (old skiing injury that I recently tweaked while running). I had an MRI a few years back and it I was diagnosed with a small tear in my MCL that would eventually require surgery to correct.

Have given it almost a week off since tweaking it and is still aching. I really want to keep up with my cardio, but I think running is out of the question. Tried the ski machine but don't really enjoy that and my knee still hurt.

Anyone recommend a good elliptical? Do you think it would be better on the knee? Anyone out there with a knee injury that could weigh in on this would really be helpful.

I am not quite ready for surgery to repair the damage, but if this pain persists and prevents me from execising....I may have to go get it done.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Every case if different, so it is hard to give specific activity recommendations.

Rule of thumb for this type of injury: if the pain is sharper, and if it does not diminish with rest, that is a stronger indication that some more aggressive intervention (e.g. surgery) might be necessary.

You could try some specific rehabilitation exercises, if you have the resources to see a physical therapist. These can be a win-win scenario: either they work and you don't need surgery, or, if the surgery is inevitable, they can contribute to a speedier recovery.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 3 weeks ago; best thing I did for it. I took 4 weeks off and it didn't get better. To get through this:

- Rest
    - Ice - after exercising
    - Compress - like a knee brace or ace bandage.
    - Elevation - keep the weight off and if you are sitting change knee positions a lot.
    - Motrin if pain persists after 1 hour.

Our gym has a seated elliptical which keeps the weight of your body off. That and the Marpo Kinetics rope machine are all I use for cardio in recovery now.

http://store.octanefitness.com/

http://www.marpokinetics.com/

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Every case if different, so it is hard to give specific activity recommendations.

Rule of thumb for this type of injury: if the pain is sharper, and if it does not diminish with rest, that is a stronger indication that some more aggressive intervention (e.g. surgery) might be necessary.

You could try some specific rehabilitation exercises, if you have the resources to see a physical therapist. These can be a win-win scenario: either they work and you don't need surgery, or, if the surgery is inevitable, they can contribute to a speedier recovery.

Totally agree. See a doc if this persists after a rest period. What you want to do is get back to exercising.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus in September. I also had some arthritis debrided while he was in there. Physical Therapy had me on the recumbent bike and elliptical as well as walking, yes walking, on the treadmill. However, they said the best thing to relieve knee pain was to strengthen my quads. The quads control the knee/kneecap and if they are strong your knee works less. So most of what my PT included was focused on strengthening my quads. I run now (just finished C25K and have two 5K's booked). Is it completely painless? no but it's better than it was pre-surgery. It's tolerable and when needed, with Aleve and ice, completely manageable. To answer your question, yes the elliptical is much less impact to your knee, but dont rule out the recumbent bike either. And if it persists, go back to your doctor and get another MRI. Chances are your "small tear" has now become a larger tear.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Not sure if it can be compared, but I have RA terribly bad in one knee. Had an MRI done and it needs to be scraped out due to osteo-necrosis (growth of dead bone) as well. I use an elliptical (bought a Nordic track Pathfinder), wear a knee brace (suggested by my dr cause she knows as long as I am mobile I won't give in to surgery), and use Motrin/Ibroprophen before the workout and ice it after. The elliptical is low impact since your feet never leave the foot-pads... unlike running, where it's constant impact to the knee. However, I do suggest asking what your doctor may recommend for your particular case, but make your desires apparent. Mine knew I didn't want surgery, but want to keep active and SHE is the one that suggested the brace, the Ibroprophen, and ice. Worth a shot, and safer than doing more damage without knowing it
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my Knee, hip and ankle and have found that I have a hard time on just about anything except the recumbent elliptical cross trainer. The gym at the hospital program that I attend has NuStep machines and I can get on one and pass an hour with little difficulty it gets your arms and legs going at the same time. I highly recommend the NuStep machines, they have given me a way to exercise without putting all my weight on my poor legs. I think that the Octane elliptical may be similar but I have not seen one in person.
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I had knee surgery for a torn meniscus in September. I also had some arthritis debrided while he was in there. Physical Therapy had me on the recumbent bike and elliptical as well as walking, yes walking, on the treadmill. However, they said the best thing to relieve knee pain was to strengthen my quads. The quads control the knee/kneecap and if they are strong your knee works less. So most of what my PT included was focused on strengthening my quads. I run now (just finished C25K and have two 5K's booked). Is it completely painless? no but it's better than it was pre-surgery. It's tolerable and when needed, with Aleve and ice, completely manageable. To answer your question, yes the elliptical is much less impact to your knee, but dont rule out the recumbent bike either. And if it persists, go back to your doctor and get another MRI. Chances are your "small tear" has now become a larger tear.

I had the same surgery, plus an ACL replacement 6 years ago. I 100% agree with everything said here. I have run 2 5K's as well and there is pain/discomfort after doing something like that. I hate to say it, but the longer you postpone the surgery likely the worse you are making the situation by continuing to exercise on it. I know it happened to me. It stared with a torn ACL and after postponing the surgery for 3 months, it turned into much more.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Damn knee still hurting (old skiing injury that I recently tweaked while running). I had an MRI a few years back and it I was diagnosed with a small tear in my MCL that would eventually require surgery to correct.

Have given it almost a week off since tweaking it and is still aching. I really want to keep up with my cardio, but I think running is out of the question. Tried the ski machine but don't really enjoy that and my knee still hurt.

Anyone recommend a good elliptical? Do you think it would be better on the knee? Anyone out there with a knee injury that could weigh in on this would really be helpful.

I am not quite ready for surgery to repair the damage, but if this pain persists and prevents me from execising....I may have to go get it done.

Interesting - I had a 95% tear of my MCL, and was told by the ortho that unless I was a professional athlete, that the standard practice was to NOT intervene surgically on that ligament. They just let it heal - I was in a brace for 14 weeks followed by a month or so of intense PT.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options

Interesting - I had a 95% tear of my MCL, and was told by the ortho that unless I was a professional athlete, that the standard practice was to NOT intervene surgically on that ligament. They just let it heal - I was in a brace for 14 weeks followed by a month or so of intense PT.

Same here, but I tore my ACL. Was encouraged NOT to pursue surgery since I was not an athelete who needed to "pivot & plant" repeatedly. That was 6 months ago. Still have knee pain frequently. I'm using the recumbent bike and walking, doing yoga.
    As previously stated, my PT really stressed that I strenthen my quads.
    I really want to get back to running - hope I can do that soon! I'm a little discouraged as I thought my recovery would be quicker. Good luck!
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis in both knees, and broke the tip off my left patella when I was nine. I use an elliptical on the 'manual' setting as I've been told to not attempt inclines until more weight comes off. Sometimes I still get aches and pains, sometimes I don't, depending on the weather fronts hovering over us. My favourite mode of cardio is bicycling; absolutely no pain, even pulling hills, but of course I need it be dry and not in the 30s to ride. I do use a brace to stablise my left kneecap, and perhaps a brace would help you as well.
  • Jfearn64
    Jfearn64 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I do wear a brace and it helps. Bicycling is out as I also have an issue with my hamstring where sitting (especially on a bike seat) is extremely painful. I think the elliptical might be best for me.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options

Agree with previous posters that it might be a good idea to check with your doctor.

That being said, I've had three knee surgeries, and my knees love the elliptical. Some mornings my knees ache when I'm walking the dog, but I can get on the elliptical and they feel fine.
  • kimoRUN
    kimoRUN Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm not a knee guy but I did have a hip replacement when I was 21. Alternative methods for cardio would definitely be an eliptical. Less impact on the joints. And of course there's the pool you could use, but I never feel a good burn doing that. Another alternative could be doing some kind of circuit weight training. Keeping your heart rate up doing multiple workouts with minimal rest periods between each. That's my $0.02.
  • SimplySamee
    Options
    ONE SIMPLE ANSWER:

Please stop going through this pain and as soon as possible get a complete check up from the doctor.

Your case appears to be a technical one, so here I am afraid you might not get 100% accurate advise (which would basically be from the personal experience source).