Dieting with significant other---help!

Options
So I finally got my BF on board with dieting, but now he's driving me crazy! I'm a lifetime dieter (and failure), but now I know what works and what doesn't. However, my bf suddenly thinks that he should eat as little food as possible. I know that I have to be realistic, that I will occasionally go out to eat and slip up, but also know that if I deprive myself completely of foods that I love, I will fail. BF seems to think he should eat none of it. How do I deal with that? just ignore it and do it my own way? help!

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I finally got my BF on board with dieting, but now he's driving me crazy! I'm a lifetime dieter (and failure), but now I know what works and what doesn't. However, my bf suddenly thinks that he should eat as little food as possible. I know that I have to be realistic, that I will occasionally go out to eat and slip up, but also know that if I deprive myself completely of foods that I love, I will fail. BF seems to think he should eat none of it. How do I deal with that? just ignore it and do it my own way? help!
    Go your own way and if he fails, then maybe he'll be receptive to reason invading his senses.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Haha -- yea my boyfriend has the same misconception - but you can't tell him anything... they'll figure it out.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    what works for you doesn't mean it will work for him and vice versa, it's all trial and error, especially when you are starting out. The key is though finding out what works for you.
  • jacks4se
    jacks4se Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've tried the same thing...last January I finally convinced him to do two weeks of special K...we lost weight but he would come home and announce how he hadn't eaten his snacks or his meal bar and I kept trying to tell him that wasn't good. Needless to say after the two weeks my BF walked away with a bad impression of "eating healthier" and now he just lazes around and pops an antacid every hour to deal with how poorly he eats. Just ignore him...maybe once he sees how happy you are eating REASONABLY he'll wanna give it a shot too!
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    Do what works for you. I always fail at diets too because I was restricting too much. I think I found one I can stick with for a little while, because its foods I love anyway and I am allowed 1oz of dark chocolate or 5 oz of red wine even:) (jump start diet foud on self.com)
    My BF is finally on board with me also, I've been making our lunches and dinners at the same time (he works overnights I work during the day). But I find him eating frosted flakes when he gets home, lol. Men lose differently anyway, its better to just support each other while doing what works for YOU.
    Good luck!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    Yeah I've tried the same thing...last January I finally convinced him to do two weeks of special K...we lost weight but he would come home and announce how he hadn't eaten his snacks or his meal bar and I kept trying to tell him that wasn't good. Needless to say after the two weeks my BF walked away with a bad impression of "eating healthier" and now he just lazes around and pops an antacid every hour to deal with how poorly he eats. Just ignore him...maybe once he sees how happy you are eating REASONABLY he'll wanna give it a shot too!

It's so hard! I'm afraid that's what will happen and then he won't want to try it anymore...