Black Bean & Chicken Chili *Crockpot* 310cal

Options
I made this today, and it is so super good!!!
About 310 calories per serving!

In crockpot in the morning:

-4 frozen boneless chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each (I use the Kirkland/Costco chicken breasts)
-1 can of Bush's Best black beans
-1 can of Hunt's Diced Tomatoes (no salt added)
-1 jar of Taco Bell Thick n chunky medium salsa (the small jar - whole jar)

Set crock pot on "low" and let it cook all day. When you are ready to serve, just shred the chicken with 2 forks.
Makes 4 servings (I made it today, I ate 1 serving for dinner and saved the other 3 for the next few days!)
Per serving I calculated it to be about 310 calories. I added 4 tablespoons of Kraft lite Simply Sour Cream (I love sour cream and the simply lite is only 30 calories per serving!) and 1/4 cup of Great Value shredded fiesta blend cheese for a total of:

Cals - 452
Carbs - 45
Protein - 45
Fiber - 9

Now that I have decided to just cook for myself and stop worrying about whether or not my insanely picky husband and kids will eat what I make.... I'm doing GREAT and discovering all kinds of delicious low cal recipes that I cannot WAIT to try!! If they want some, great, if not - fine. I'm done fighting with them. My husband's insane pickyness (seriously, he's the pickiest eater alive) has made it impossible to get my kids to try new things and I am tired of it, so... there ya go :p (Seriously, arriving at this conclusion has been freeing)
Enjoy!

Replies

• shalwilson34
    shalwilson34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    your recipe sounds delich! And I was glad to hear that I ended up winning over the fight with the family. It can be very hard to be successful on any program when you are also trying to make the family happy as well. Not to mention, a lot more expensive. Good for you girl!
  • Destinyshalo
    Destinyshalo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    yummm. im so gonna make this next week
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! I agree with the attitude towards picky eaters as well. You can't be held back from making a new and healthier you.
  • VParee
    VParee Posts: 26
    Options
    thanks for posting will try it on monday :D
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The rule in my house (to a point, I try to be as accomodating as possible) is, if you don't like what the cook serves, feel free to get off your *kitten* and do the cooking yourself. :bigsmile: In all honesty, if someone prepared food and put it in front of me every day, I would NEVER complain! :wink:
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    thanks for my next idea for a meal!!! Making it tomorrow!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Two great topics in one post:

1. Thanks for the recipe. I do chili year-round. I do mine with a bit of help from 5-Alarm Chili mix, leave out the salt, and swap the ground beef for either ground turkey or chicken. But I always add lots of black beans! This will be a nice variation.

2. I'm having the issue right now with the family not wanting to try to dishes. I'm almost to the point of everyone just makes want they want. It's such a tough battle. My boyfriend's boy is 6 and he's very picky. I think he learned it from his dad who'll only eat one type of pizza: Tiny Tim's pepperoni. I can't even get him to try other, more healthful types of pizza. Ugh!
  • kailysimpson
    Options
    Two great topics in one post:

1. Thanks for the recipe. I do chili year-round. I do mine with a bit of help from 5-Alarm Chili mix, leave out the salt, and swap the ground beef for either ground turkey or chicken. But I always add lots of black beans! This will be a nice variation.

2. I'm having the issue right now with the family not wanting to try to dishes. I'm almost to the point of everyone just makes want they want. It's such a tough battle. My boyfriend's boy is 6 and he's very picky. I think he learned it from his dad who'll only eat one type of pizza: Tiny Tim's pepperoni. I can't even get him to try other, more healthful types of pizza. Ugh!

My husband takes the cake on pickiness. He won't eat anything with sauce, gravy, cream, etc. He won't eat vegetables. He won't eat things that are baked int he oven (he deems them "casseroles" and therefore won't eat it) he won't eat anything with more then 2 things mixed together. He won't eat beans, at all. He won't eat eggs. Basically, all he will eat is very overcooked meat, very plain, with plain white rice or plain white pasta or plain white bread. In 5 years the biggest change I've gotten him to make, is that he will now put cheese on a ham sandwich... he used to literally eat just ham on bread. No condiments. He doesn't like anything. So, unfortunately, my kids are nearly as bad and I am helpless to do anything about it! So I've started cooking for myself and to hell with them LOL!!! Last night I ate this delicious chili while they had leftover chicken nuggets from the dinner I made them the night before. Seriously, that's tough for them. If they don't want to eat what I cook, they can eat PB&J or something!!
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing.......can't wait to try it:flowerforyou:
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    thanks for my next idea for a meal!!! Making it tomorrow!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:

It's cooking away! Soon to eat!!!!!