Breast milk for cancer paitents

Options
What do y'all think?

My dad is suffering from t cell lymphoma. I can't donate bone marrow because we are not a match but I 'm still breast feeding my daughter and I had read somewhere that cancer patients drink it for the antibodies and I was thinking of helping him by pumping and giving him some! This is a serious question so unless you are going to make fun of me or think I'm weird or gross please just save the space and don't answer!!!

Replies

• misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It probably won't hurt. Would he actually drink it though?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    maybe you should ask his doctor first! but i just read an article about a girl who gives her brain-damaged boyfriend ambien, and it helps a lot. so your idea could be worth a go.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's a nice thought, would he do it?
    I'd probably check with his doctor first, he is likely to have pretty low immunity and you don't want to risk inadvertently passing something on to him.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult a doctor. But if you can help him why not right? If my dad were sick and I could help him feel better I would do whatever I could!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea..
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Go for it! Breast milk is amazing stuff! It can also be made into yogurt- no joke!
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Certainly couldn't hurt. I mean, it is human milk!!:)
  • I think it sure couldn't hurt! If he'd be willing to try it. I'd double check with the dr. just to be 100% sure of course. I nursed both of my kids until they were nearly 3 and i tell ya I'm the firmest believer in the power of the antibodies of breast milk. My daughter is 11 and has never even had a fever, ear infection, flu, NOTHING. She's had a few MINOR colds here or there (mostly when she first started preschool and even then just stuffy noses). My son is 5 and has never been sick yet. Neither of ever needed antibiotics or seen the dr. except for their annual well check. I often ask the dr how did I get so blessed with their health and she says "remember when you sat here with a nearly 3 year old saying how people were criticizing you for still nursing? Well...here ya go". Anyway, I'm rambling but I'd think if the dr. thought it was safe to try (whether he/she felt it's effective is irrelevant - if it won't harm then it's worth a try along with everything else).

Above all else you and your family have my deepest sympathy - such a hard thing to go through. Prayers with you!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I only drink the finest breastmilks.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear about his condition :(

in theory it sounds reasonable. I've never heard of it ...

BUT like someone else said above, you could inadvertently pass something (bad) along through it since cancer patients have such compromised immune systems. you might also need a LOT of it to actually provide significant benefits... waayyyy more than a baby needs! you literally might not be able to produce in that capacity.

I would definitely discuss it with him AND his doctors before you do anything
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    First off kudos to you for wanting to help your dad and shame on anyone that would make fun of you for that.

I would definitely ask his doctor before doing it. I think it's a great idea but his doctor should be able to tell you if it would be beneficial and how much he would need before it was worth it. Good luck! :smile:
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    talk to his doctor..

unrelated note i was babysitting a kid whose mom breast fed and while heating it up i spilled some on my figer and with out thinking just licked it off.. it was surprizingly sweet.. not bad i a must say.. and the end of my creepy story..
  • Malani2010
    Options
    My dad has agreed to take my pumped milk and his doctor has cleared him for it as soon as his transplant is over!! I better get pumping!!! Thanks for all y'all advice!! Prayers are still needed and wanted!!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    That is great news to hear! Best wishes to you, your dad and your family.