looking for a good meatloaf recipe

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
Anyone have any good meatloaf recipes that aren't loaded with sodium?

Replies

• bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    I make this one ALL the time. I use a lean (not too lean maybe 15% fat) cut of meat. My boyfriend and all my friends LOVE it. My dad said it was the best one he'd had. I know its a Paula Deen recipe, which normally means FATTTTTT and Butter, but I find this one very diet friendly. I like to put it in muffin tins to cook instead of a loaf so that I can portion and freeze accordingly. Let me know if you try it! I will say I add more vinegar and worcheshire (sp?) than the recipe calls for! I also add an extra egg since I use a leaner cut of meat (to make sure it doesn't dry out!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/barbeque-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

Enjoy!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the sodium, but I always put Rotel in my meatloaf to give it an extra KICK - that's what we like down here!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I just made a taco meatloaf the other night for dinner. It was good and the stats (with the brands I used) are:
    110 calories
    4 grams fat
    252 sodium
    5 carbs
    14 protein
    This is for one slice and the pan made 9 slices.

Ingredients are:
    1 lb. lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
    3 crushed up taco shells in food processor (or can use breadcrumbs, etc.)
    2 eggs (I used 1 best of eggs cup, which is equal to 2 eggs)
    3 TBSP salsa
    1 oz sour cream (I used 1 oz of plain greek yogurt instead)
    1/2 pack of taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso Reduced Sodium variety)
    1/2 cup shredded cheese

Just mix everything together and put into loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about an hour. It was tasty!

My DH & son had chips with salsa with theirs and I took my slice and cut it up on a bed of lettuce, shredded carrots, shredded cheese and broccoli.

Hope this helps :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I make this one ALL the time. I use a lean (not too lean maybe 15% fat) cut of meat. My boyfriend and all my friends LOVE it. My dad said it was the best one he'd had. I know its a Paula Deen recipe, which normally means FATTTTTT and Butter, but I find this one very diet friendly. I like to put it in muffin tins to cook instead of a loaf so that I can portion and freeze accordingly. Let me know if you try it! I will say I add more vinegar and worcheshire (sp?) than the recipe calls for! I also add an extra egg since I use a leaner cut of meat (to make sure it doesn't dry out!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/barbeque-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

Enjoy!

Sounds pretty good, but sodium is pretty high (1400mg per serving). I'll probably try it without the salt tonight and see if it's overly bland. I also wonder if I could use bread or unsalted crackers instead of the breadcrumbs.

Thanks.
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    I used packaged bread crumbs (the italian seasoned ones) because I am lazy! :) It also makes 'extra' sauce which is likely where all the sodium is so my guess is that it is less. Let me know how you like it! I am making it this weekend!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Use Oatmeal instead of bread crumbs! Works great.. Heart healthy! I also use turkey instead of beef.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Use Oatmeal instead of bread crumbs! Works great.. Heart healthy!
    Ah, good call... might have to try that!
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    This is delicious. I sometimes add a little sweet chilli sauce. Also tastes good warm or cold

http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/recipes/2009/february/australia/meatloaf-with-crunchy-topping
  • dlregan
    Options
    Italian Meatloaf (Recipe from the P90X meal plan) Surprisingly, it's very good.

1/2 cup diced onions
    2 TBLS fat free chicken broth, low sodium
    2 TBLS minced garlic
    1-1/2 lbs ground turkey breast
    1/2 cup sourdough bread crumbs
    1/2 cup + 2 TBLS low sodium, low fat marinara sauce
    2 TBLS fresh basil
    2 TBLS fresh italian parsley, chopped

Preheat oven 350
    Sautee onions in chicken broth until lightly browned
    Add garlic, cook additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slighty
    Mix onions and garlic with ground turkey, bread crumbs, marinara sauce, basil & parsley
    Form into loaf and place in ungreased loaf pan
    Brush with remaining 2 TBLS of marinara
    Bake 30-45 minutes, drain off any fat and cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 8 slices

8 Servings
    297 calories per slice
    3 g total fat 8% cal from fat
    45 g protein
    20 g carb
    106 mg choles
    410 mg sodium
  • CarissaNew
    CarissaNew Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    use leaner meat (tastes better), mrs dash, oatmeal.
    I use 2 lbs of venison or buffalo
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 can low sodium tomato soup
    egg
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp to 1 tsp mrs dash
    onion chopped
    low sodium ketchup with some hot sauce shaken in (1/2 cup)
    Mix together
    Bake at 400 for 1-1.5 hrs, last half hour put lower sugar bbq sauces (like open pit).
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday:

Wegmans - Large Grade Aa Eggs, 1 egg
    Wegman's - Fresh Ground Turkey, 94% Fat Free, 1 container (16 oz.s ea.)
    Wegmans Italian Classics - Seasoned Bread Crumbs, 1/4 cup (34g)
    Wegmans - Italian Classics Grated Cheese, Pecorino Romano, 8 tbsp
    Mccormick - Parsley Flakes, 2 Tbsp.
    Wegman's - Parmesan Romano Sauce, 1 cup

Whisk the egg, mix in everything else except the sauce.

Use half the sauce on the bottom of a glass dish and put the meatloaf on it. Put the rest of the sauce covering the meatloaf.

Bake at 325 degrees until the center temperature of the turkey is 160-165 degrees (took me about an hour).

Makes four servings. Each serving has 290 calories and 379mg of sodium.

I don't usually like meatloaf, but my mom made this recipe a week ago, and I liked it so much that I made it again.

ETA: also, I am apparently the spokesperson for Wegmans...
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I made this last night
    20 oz ground turkey (Jennie O)
    1 package lower sodium Chicken Stove Top (crushed up)
    1 egg
    a few dashes of worcestershire and soy sauce.

Bake for about an hour at 350
    Makes 8 servings

Turkey meatloaf 235 calories 17 carbs 13 grams fat 16 grams protein
  • MangoAmanda
    MangoAmanda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Use Oatmeal instead of bread crumbs! Works great.. Heart healthy! I also use turkey instead of beef.

I use 1/2 extra lean beef & 1/2 turkey... never tried full. I'm Celiac too, so I can use Oatmeal :(, so I use gluten free bread crumbs... 1/3 serving of that is 110 cal, 135mg sodium, 25g, no fiber though... hmmm.

But I make my own sauce with "no salt added" tomato paste, 20mg only for the brand I use (Safeway Brand) and Red Wine Vinegar (1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup RWV), no sodium! You can use Red Wine too ;-). Add in garlic glove, tsp of oregano & bay leaf & cook it all up. I put 1/4 cup of the mix in the meatloaf, & add the rest on close to the end. My kids gobble it up, & even my FIL loves it, and he thinks no one cooks better than his wife. LOL!
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I use ground chicken in mine -- I think it tastes better than turkey. Instead of a loaf pan I use my cupcake pan and make little mini meatloaf cupcakes. They come out real easy that way, and it's easy to make extra and take it as a lunch.

1 1.5lb package ground chicken
    1 egg
    1 medium green pepper (chopped finely, I use a food processor)
    1/2 medium onion (also chopped finely)
    1-2 cloves garlic (minced or pressed in a garlic press)
    1/2 cup grated carrots
    1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
    a couple tbsp of low-sodium beef broth if you have an open container of it just for a little extra flavor.
    ~1/2-2/3 cup of oatmeal or bread crumbs

I like to precook the green pepper, onion, garlic and carrots a bit with like 1tsp of olive oil just to get everything to soften up before I mix it into the meatloaf.

Mix all ingredients into a bowl and put into a loaf pan or a muffin/cupcake pan. If you're using the muffin pan, it will take 30-40 minutes to cook at 350F. The loaf pans take longer, more like 1-1.5 hrs depending on your oven. It's best to check the internal temp with a meat thermometer to ensure doneness.

Oh and for the "Crust", I just mix some dijon mustard and some ketchup together and put it on the top. You could also just blend up some unsalted canned stewed tomatoes with some dried mustard and black pepper if you were concerned about sodium intake.
  • shalwilson34
    shalwilson34 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The cook book "Eating for Life" is awesome recipes and one of them is for meatloaf. Unfortunately, I don't have it handy, but thought I'd mention the book.
  • shabounds
    Options
    If you can get your hands on ground venison (my family are deer hunters), it makes a delicious meat loaf that is on the leaner side than beef.
  • bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This is a favorite at out house. This recipe is from aimeesadventures.com...she has a ton of great recipes!!!
    I think WW points are from the old points system so whoever is on WW would need to recalculate it.

Meatloaf Muffins

1 Pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
    4 oz. Zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
    1 Egg
    1 Cup Ore Ida Hash Browns, frozen
    1/2 Cup Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    1/2 Package (3 oz.) Kraft Stove Top Seasoned Stuffing Mix
    1/4 Cup Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
    1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
    1/4 Cup Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Onion, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Divide evenly into 12 muffin tins (I used a 1/3 measuring cup to divide the mixture). Bake 30-40 minutes or until done. These would be good as hamburgers also. Instead of placing the mixture into muffin tins, Make 12 hamburger patties, then grill or bake.

Serves: 12
    Per Serving: 163 Calories; 8g Fat (44.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 291mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. WWP: 4 (www.AimeesAdventures.com)