running/eating right and still not losing

Options
13»

Replies

• Doulos24x7
    Doulos24x7 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just read every post on this thread.

Personal experience in the advice offered is priceless. I'm changing my weight loss goal from 1.5 to 1lbs a week...and I'll be eating my calories back too.

Thanks folks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    No I am not eating back the calories burned because I feel that my calorie intake would be too high and I don't understand how that would possibly make me lose weight. I would start eating more but I am worried that I would gain weight instead of lose.
    Is there anyone out there who has had any experience with this and could assure me that this would not happen?
    Thanks so much for all your input!!

I direct you to the "PLEASE READ ME" stickies at the top of the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section. Namely:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing (This directly answers your question about gaining.)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for the advice! I didn't expect to get so many replies and it is really encouraging me to actually make a change in my diet.
    I know that what I am doing is probably harming my body more than helping, but I feel so trapped in my ways that it is so hard to make a change in my lifestyle. I'm sure I appear to be crazy to all of you guys but it really is hard to get out of this rut!
    I love all of the advice and personal feedback I am getting, thanks so much!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for the advice! I didn't expect to get so many replies and it is really encouraging me to actually make a change in my diet.
    I know that what I am doing is probably harming my body more than helping, but I feel so trapped in my ways that it is so hard to make a change in my lifestyle. I'm sure I appear to be crazy to all of you guys but it really is hard to get out of this rut!
    I love all of the advice and personal feedback I am getting, thanks so much!

Just make sure you take care of yourself. Your fear of gaining weight, coupled with your restrictive diet throws up red flags for me for anorexia. If you have a family history of eating disorders, you'll want to make sure you're especially careful. I'm not saying you are there, but you do seem to be in a position of risk, especially if you get scared if you increase your food intake and gain a few pounds at first.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I agree you need to eat more. I don't eat all my excersise calories back as I know the machines at the gym are not accurate but I do eat some back. I try and keep my calorie intake right around 1500. I've lost 191 lbs in just over two years with only a few months where I had a very slow weight loss. I've never "plateaued" during the last year and half where I have been working out twice a day. I do a blend of cardio (elliptical/treadmill mix) and strength. Most of this journey I've eaten in a calorie range not a finite number that I can't go over. I've found flexibility and variety in both my workout and my food intake is huge. I never feel deprived, I'm getting in great shape and it is maintainable. If your routine isn't something you can do without it mentally exhausting yourselve, it will not last. You will eventually stop and not maintain. Find a way to set up your workouts and your food in a way that it doesn't stress you out, mentally exhaust you or continbute to feeling frustration. Find a balance with life and health that you enjoy, that builds you up and gives you a sense of accomplishment.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No I am not eating back the calories burned because I feel that my calorie intake would be too high and I don't understand how that would possibly make me lose weight. I would start eating more but I am worried that I would gain weight instead of lose.
    Is there anyone out there who has had any experience with this and could assure me that this would not happen?
    Thanks so much for all your input!!

I'm a perfect example. I was eating about 1200-1400 calories a day and had increased my exercise tremendously. I hit a plateau that I just could not break. That's when I found MFP; started following it EXACTLY as written, and lost the last 15 (+1!!) I was trying to get rid of. Trust the system.
  • lilmonster530
    Options
    Maybe you should try something other than runnning? I tried and even though i was trying to run for an hour, I know i didn't accomplish much. When i walk I usually walk pretty fast for 3 miles. At the end of it my legs are sore and i feel like I did something, but when I ran, i just felt out of breath. Also, I use workout videos at home and I love those. I have been working out 2-4 hours a day with 1200 cal intake and have lost 6.2 lbs in a week. Also when you eat, make sure you are eating lots of fiber and whole grains. Drink at least 64oz of water a day, and you should NEVER be hungry, hope this helped some!! :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    my body goes through plateaus when it gets used to my exercise routine and food i eat .. im actually trying something new this time around and paying attention to switiching workouts and food every hand full of days to see if that makes a difference. ive been told by trainers and others that if you are doing the same thing every day yoiur body gets used to it.
  • What's up with people soliciting advice and then adamantly ignoring the advice they are given? I feel like I'm listening to my kids here.

As my father would say, if your arms hurts when you move it, well don't move it.

If what you're doing isn't working, try another way.
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    EAT YOUR EXCERISE CALORIES BACK!!!

MFP already has you at a built in deficit. You should have a NET of AT LEAST 1200 calories. So if you have it set at 1300 and eat that much, and run 5 miles, burning 500 cals, you are at a NET of 800 cals. WAY TOO LOW!! If you're nervous about gaining weight, I would try keeping it at 1300 but eating your exercise calories back first. If you do, you will have a NET of 1300 but have eaten 1800 calories. It's the NET CALORIES that you need to look at and it should be at least at 1200. Good luck!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    5 pounds to lose! first of all... relaaaaaaxxxx. Seriously. Read the challenges that others here are up against. Learn about the world -- war, disease, hunger, violence. See how others have to live. 5 extra pounds is not anything to worry about, at ALL. Make art, write a story, spend time with people you love. Above all, do not worry about 5 pounds.