Low Carbers!! HELP!! ? Calories?

Options
Hi All :-)

So I read on one of the low carb start up blogs that you dont have to reduce your calorie intake as long as you keep your carb intake low. Do you find this to be true or false? The past two weeks Ive been having anywhere from 30-90 carbs a day and also limit my diet to 1200 calories just wondering your findings/opinions on this

thanks
B.

ps as always please dont use this thread to bash low carb, if it doesnt work for you I resepect that but so far its working for me.

Replies

• fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not low carb Pro but I did try it before. I didn't limit my calories at all and lost 11lbs in 7 days. I ate a good breakfast, a nice full fat ceaser or chef salad for lunch and a meat and a veggie for dinner. You are advised to use full fat mayo,ranch, sour cream bc the low fat ones have added sugars. It was hard adjusting to this mindset but it worked for me at that time. If you look into it many hard core lcbers actually boost their fat intake by eating spoonfulls of mayo at a time! I couldn't keep going on lc that bc my head felt too cloudy.
    GL!
    Crys
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think you can be a little more generous with your daily calories, as long as you're getting lots of HEALTHY fats, enough protein, keep your sodium low, your overall carbs are low and from good sources and your macros are in line. I don't know what you have yours set for, but mine are at 15% carbs, 55% fat, and 30% protein, and I keep my daily carbs under 50, my sodium under 1,500, and as long as I keep to that, I find that I can set my daily calorie goal to 1,400 (plus extra for exercise) and still lose at a *very* consistent rate.

Amy
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

So I read on one of the low carb start up blogs that you dont have to reduce your calorie intake as long as you keep your carb intake low. Do you find this to be true or false? The past two weeks Ive been having anywhere from 30-90 carbs a day and also limit my diet to 1200 calories just wondering your findings/opinions on this

thanks
    B.

ps as always please dont use this thread to bash low carb, if it doesnt work for you I resepect that but so far its working for me.

I don't count calories when low carbing...............keep my fat percentage high, protein % moderate and carbs low.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Seeing as you must be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, yes you do have lower cal intake, regardless of cho intake.

There is no metabolic advantage to low carb diets and any greater weight loss seen initially compared to a higher cho diet is water weight
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    So you mean they'd say I can eat 3000 cals and I should lose, as long as I keep my carbs low? It doesn't work that way, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. I have nothing against low carbs, but just sayin'.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    for acg57: those of us with metabolic disorders (like me) certainly get a metabolic avantage from low carb diets.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Its not all about the calories. You will lose weight if you reduce your CHO intake to lower levels. You can increase that rate if you ALSO reduce your calories but you don't have to starve like you typically do on low calorie diets.This has been my personal experience.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    ps when I do hardcore low carb I do not count calories, and I am sure the actual calories are insanely high, but I lose major weight.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    for acg57: those of us with metabolic disorders (like me) certainly get a metabolic avantage from low carb diets.

You are correct, i thought that was understood though and the poster never mentioned anything about having a metabolic disorder requiring her to keep carbs under a set amount
  • Mamalee0510
    Options
    Doing P90X, and the first phase is to eat a high protein low carb diet...the fat shredder...its a lot of cooking on my part but i lost 1 inch in the last 5 days. Dont be afraid to eat... I intake more than 1400 calories a day, so it can be done.

Mrslee-flabtofab.blogspot.com
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I think you can be a little more generous with your daily calories, as long as you're getting lots of HEALTHY fats, enough protein, keep your sodium low, your overall carbs are low and from good sources and your macros are in line. I don't know what you have yours set for, but mine are at 15% carbs, 55% fat, and 30% protein, and I keep my daily carbs under 50, my sodium under 1,500, and as long as I keep to that, I find that I can set my daily calorie goal to 1,400 (plus extra for exercise) and still lose at a *very* consistent rate.

Amy

Thanks so much Amy! I need to look at what mine are set at I know I changed it when I begun this journey last week. So far Im just having a problem with my sodium levels :-(