Does fiber and protein really help you loose weight/speed up

Options
Is it true that a high protein and fiber diet helps you loose weight?

My average day looks like: 1200 calories, 169 carbs, 25 fat, 52 protein, 27 fiber, 2147 sodium
Goal (as set by myfitness pal): 1200 calories, 165 carbs, 40 fat, 45 protein, 14 fiber, 2500 sodium

If it helps: I am 24 years old, female, 5' 9.5", 191 lbs

I am not currently working out-I start with a gym and trainer at the end of this month. I am an ex competitive tennis player and trying to get back in shape after putting on a lot of weight when I got hurt.

I slightly remembering hearing somewhere that consuming more than 14g of fiber a day helps you loose more weight and speeds up your metabolism (mine is ubsurdly slow).

I already lost 50 lbs but decided to rejoin to loose the last 50.

I have before and current pics on my profile.

Replies

• Celiamariec
    Options
    bump
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I offer no scientific proof, but yes they help. Fiber helps you to stay full longer & aids in digestion. Protein takes more calories to digest & will help in building/rebuilding lean muscle mass once you start weight training.. Once again, just from my own experience.
  • LeighErin
    Options
    Thanks! And given how much weight you've lost, I'd say your probably a good resource on the topic. Congrats on the weightloss.

Once I start working out again, I think it will really help. I just started my diet etc back up on Monday, the 2nd.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein for me also either fills me up (takes longer to digest?) or at least satisfies what I'm craving. I can tell the difference in my reaction between days where I slip up under 100 grams of protein total and the ones where I'm closer to my goal of 175. If I'm closer to my goal I am far less peckish and can get through the evening with dinner, no snack before bed. But if protein is low and there's something to snack on I find I'm always after it.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    To be completely honest they do not, although fiber may aid in giving you a fuller feeling than other types of carbs. In regards to weight loss specifically it will only come down to how much you're taking in as opposed to how much your putting out. If you're in a deficit you will lose weight if your in a surplus you will gain weight. Protein the same, I find MFP to set protein lower than I'd like it to be so I use custom set up, but ideally you just want 1 gram of protein per lb of bodyweight and maybe even less if your goals are not muscle retention/gain.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't get heaps of protein (I'm vegetarian so it's a bit hard) but your 52g isn't high protein, you could increase that a lot although 1200 cals is pretty restrictive. I'm using protein shakes to up mine. Maybe look into that if you really want to increase protein?
  • *sigh* here it goes:

Go to this website: http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

calculate your daily calorie needs...then figure out how many days a week your going to go to the gym for a workout.

Workout days (carbs 40%, protein 40-50%, fat 10-20%), make sure your biggest meal is right after your workout.
    Non-workout days, subtract 20% of calories from your daily needs (protein 40-50%, fat 30-40%, carbs 20%), minimize carbs as it helps to avoid storing fat.

Make sure you eat green veggies, and plenty of them as they are fibrous and the carbs from them shouldn't be counted.

Eat at a certain pattern everyday, meaning eat around the same time everyday. Meal frequency doesn't matter, what does matter though is the timing. Set up a schedule to eat and make sure you follow the schedule as much as you can.

Hope that helps, you can also add me if you have any questions that you want to ask.

BTW protein is used for more than just muscle retention...there are other processes in your body that require amino acids from protein breakdown, if you don't eat enough the yield of amino acids for those processes. For example, hemoglobin production will fall if there isn't enough protein intake, which causes binding of oxygen to red blood cells to drop and that leads to a myriad of problems. 1g per pound of bodyweight is a good start, but you should ideally go higher.
  • tiffani7771
    tiffani7771 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Is it true that a high protein and fiber diet helps you loose weight?

My average day looks like: 1200 calories, 169 carbs, 25 fat, 52 protein, 27 fiber, 2147 sodium
    Goal (as set by myfitness pal): 1200 calories, 165 carbs, 40 fat, 45 protein, 14 fiber, 2500 sodium

I am not currently working out-I start with a gym and trainer at the end of this month. I am an ex competitive tennis player and trying to get back in shape after putting on a lot of weight when I got hurt.

I slightly remembering hearing somewhere that consuming more than 14g of fiber a day helps you loose more weight and speeds up your metabolism (mine is ubsurdly slow).

I think based on my averages, I currently have a low fat, low sodium, high protein, high fiber diet.

[/quote

You're metabolism is slow because you're consuming low amount of calories. LIke the guy said above, digesting protien uses more calories. It's 30%, carbs are 20%, and fat is 10%.

If you consume 100 grams of protein it will use 30 calories just to digest it.

Also like the other guy said, it's all about how many calories you burn compared to the amount you consume. Fiber does help you feel fuller with less calories, so does protein. Does it help your metabolism go faster? NO. "eating more" will make your metabolism go faster because there will be more food to digest. BUT if you take note of the percentages i listed above, if you eat 100 calories of protein, you only absorb 70, you'd be better off not eating the 100 calories in the first place.

What also speeds up your metabolism is exercise, exercise is the number 1 thing that speeds up your metabolism.

okay this is the kinda stuff that irks me...learn your facts

Protein costs 20-30% of the amount consumed in calories to "PROCESS", carbs cost virtually nothing and fats the same.

Protein suppresses appetite hormones(i.e. ghrelin, PYY and GLP-1), which leads to "SATIETY".

Best feature of protein is that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for your body to turn it into fat, the mechanism to do so yields a very poor return when compared to carbs.

However, protein does cause insulin to rise like carbohydrates do, but at the same time MPS is elevated unlike carbs.

Please do your research...

I think based on my averages, I currently have a low fat, low sodium, high protein, high fiber diet.

[/quote

You're metabolism is slow because you're consuming low amount of calories. LIke the guy said above, digesting protien uses more calories. It's 30%, carbs are 20%, and fat is 10%.

Also like the other guy said, it's all about how many calories you burn compared to the amount you consume. Fiber does help you feel fuller with less calories, so does protein. Does it help your metabolism go faster? NO. "eating more" will make your metabolism go faster because there will be more food to digest. BUT if you take note of the percentages i listed above, if you eat 100 calories of protein, you only absorb 70, you'd be better off not eating the 100 calories in the first place.

What also speeds up your metabolism is exercise, exercise is the number 1 thing that speeds up your metabolism.

Protein costs 20-30% of the amount consumed in calories to "PROCESS", carbs cost virtually nothing and fats the same.

Protein suppresses appetite hormones(i.e. ghrelin, PYY and GLP-1), which leads to "SATIETY".

Best feature of protein is that it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for your body to turn it into fat, the mechanism to do so yields a very poor return when compared to carbs.

However, protein does cause insulin to rise like carbohydrates do, but at the same time MPS is elevated unlike carbs.

I am not the one who needs to do research, i said protein gets digested with 30%. You said the same thing, Gherlin is the hunger hormone, so you release it when you eat protein?(you get hungry when you eat? NO!!!)

Protein does turn in to glucose through gluconeogensis, if it's true what you said you can eat unlimited amount of protien with out gaining bodyfat, we both know that's not true. How you think ketosis works and endurance?

I didnt say you can eat unlimited protein without it being converted...i said the mechanism for it is very poor when compared to carbs and the mechanism to convert carbs to fat de novo lipogenesis.

Ketosis and endurance??? lol please tell me how you think endurance relates to ketosis?

The actual tef of protein = 3.2kcal/g

as for the glucogenesis of protein, it all depends on the source because amino can be classified as either glucogenic or ketogenic which refers to the form it must be converted to before dnl(de novo lipogenesis) can occur.

Hope that helps...btw a good read :

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (5th Edition)

Edit:
    Forgot to tell you...ketosis actually occurs on a daily basis, just when you excessively use up your glycogen stores, it occurs on a bigger scale, its the process of breaking down fat to make ketone molecules which are then used by your body as a source of energy.

Anyhow, if you want to follow advice you can, if not it don't make or break my world, I follow whichever protocol that gives me the best results. I think my profile pic shows some sort of results occurring so, maybe what I am doing is working??
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Is it true that a high protein and fiber diet helps you loose weight?

Try to watch your sodium. I know MFP likes to set the max at 2500 but 1200-1500 is where your max should be!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For sodium yes the "guidelines" were adjusted last year... but much like "carbs are evil from the early 2000's (to this day) and "fat" is evil from the '90s and eggs are cholesterol bombs from the 80's... there are quite specific criteria for the lowering sodium limit. It wasn't necessarily everyone.

USDA January 2011 sodium....."the new recommendations call for people who are 51 and older or people of any age if they are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease to limit daily sodium intake to 1500 mg. That is "the majority of adults," the guidelines note. But for people who don't fall in those specific categories, the USDA advice is to limit intake to 2300 mg of sodium per day."

That said sodium is pretty easy to keep at reasonable levels the less processed food you have. Even one processed thing depending on serving size can blow your daily sodium level through the roof.

[/quote

I am not the one who needs to do research, i said protein gets digested with 30%. You said the same thing, Gherlin is the hunger hormone, so you release it when you eat protein?(you get hungry when you eat? NO!!!)

Protein does turn in to glucose through gluconeogensis, if it's true what you said you can eat unlimited amount of protien with out gaining bodyfat, we both know that's not true. How you think ketosis works and endurance?

I didnt say you can eat unlimited protein without it being converted...i said the mechanism for it is very poor when compared to carbs and the mechanism to convert carbs to fat de novo lipogenesis.

Ketosis and endurance??? lol please tell me how you think endurance relates to ketosis?

The actual tef of protein = 3.2kcal/g

as for the glucogenesis of protein, it all depends on the source because amino can be classified as either glucogenic or ketogenic which refers to the form it must be converted to before dnl(de novo lipogenesis) can occur.

Hope that helps...btw a good read :

Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (5th Edition)

Edit:
    Forgot to tell you...ketosis actually occurs on a daily basis, just when you excessively use up your glycogen stores, it occurs on a bigger scale, its the process of breaking down fat to make ketone molecules which are then used by your body as a source of energy.

Anyhow, if you want to follow advice you can, if not it don't make or break my world, I follow whichever protocol that gives me the best results. I think my profile pic shows some sort of results occurring so, maybe what I am doing is working??

Yeah you got good results not saying you're not. I also know people who don't know too much about .... don't know if you want to call this physiology or biochemistry. Also what we're discussing is very futile to results. There are many people who don't know much, who get decent results.

First of all the discussion went from why people should/shouldn't eat protein to ketosis/endurance and how protein is broken down. SO, again to reiterate, both type 1 and type 2 muscles have glycogen, and endurance runners look emaciated due to lack of type 2 muscle(which grows the fastest, thus occupies more space). Muscle bellies are influenced by glycogen balance, but one can't simply "all" of the glycogen in a muscle there is a point where your body starts metabolizing other tissues in hierarchy. Please also give examples of endurance runners not eating anything before going on long runs back to back. They must be taking some great appetite suppressants, and glycogen isn't your only source of energy, type 2 muscles also use phospogen stores first since theyre the "fast twitch", and stimulus of 90 seconds or less usually relies on phosphogen stores as primary energy source, with the exception of rest of 30-90 seconds between sets.

Results are why people try to lose weight, if they didn't get results trying something, why would they continue?

Like i said earlier, if you want to lose 200 pounds you go to the person who lost 200 pounds, if you want to get lean and shredded you go to the person who is shredded and lean...and if you want to have 2 test tubes one filled with what looks like crack and other with some kind of oil, well they come to you.

BTW its not biochem its under Nutrition and Human metabolism.

My experience and advice also comes from being a personal trainer, so I actually practice what I preach on clients with very good results, hence they keep coming back for more :)
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I offer no scientific proof, but yes they help. Fiber helps you to stay full longer & aids in digestion. Protein takes more calories to digest & will help in building/rebuilding lean muscle mass once you start weight training.. Once again, just from my own experience.
    +1
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber help to keep you feeling full. Also, fiber helps to expel fat through waste, and extra protein helps to keep from losing too much muscle.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    ...BTW protein is used for more than just muscle retention...there are other processes in your body that require amino acids from protein breakdown, if you don't eat enough the yield of amino acids for those processes. For example, hemoglobin production will fall if there isn't enough protein intake, which causes binding of oxygen to red blood cells to drop and that leads to a myriad of problems. 1g per pound of bodyweight is a good start...

This, at least, is correct.

Many of these posts need to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone's metabolism is different, and the speed of your metabolism can be affected by your gender, age, ancestry / genetics, the altitude where you live, childhood diseases you've had, how much sleep you've been getting lately... everyone's body is different, so none of these statements can be applied to everyone. Remember that people can tell you what worked for them, but that may or may not work for you. It's just a matter of trial & error, and listening to your own body.

Personally, the only working strategy I've found for myself is spreading out my calories over 6 meals per day, eating no more than 25g carbs per day, and eating at least my total body weight in protein per day. Many people out there can lose weight without being so strict with themselves; I can't.

Biochemically, the chemical reaction in your body that turns fat into energy also requires protein. It's roughly three parts fatty acids to one part amino acids. So if you're trying to burn a lot of fat, it's definitely beneficial to consider raising your protein intake, just to make sure & keep that reaction fueled. But how much, exactly? That's up to you. Doctors do recommend 1g per pound of body weight per day as a good starting point.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Yes both are excellent to aid in weight loss and sensations of fullness. and I agree sodium is tough to limit..one of my struggles.

Also the tennis match that is happenening in this thread is popcorn worthy.. "test tubes" LOL funny.
  • Yes both are excellent to aid in weight loss and sensations of fullness. and I agree sodium is tough to limit..one of my struggles.

Also the tennis match that is happenening in this thread is popcorn worthy.. "test tubes" LOL funny.

not exactly a tennis match seeing as how the other person is offering bad information, with no results as a merit.
  • First of all the discussion went from why people should/shouldn't eat protein to ketosis/endurance and how protein is broken down. SO, again to reiterate, both type 1 and type 2 muscles have glycogen, and endurance runners look emaciated due to lack of type 2 muscle(which grows the fastest, thus occupies more space). Muscle bellies are influenced by glycogen balance, but one can't simply "all" of the glycogen in a muscle there is a point where your body starts metabolizing other tissues in hierarchy. Please also give examples of endurance runners not eating anything before going on long runs back to back. They must be taking some great appetite suppressants, and glycogen isn't your only source of energy, type 2 muscles also use phospogen stores first since theyre the "fast twitch", and stimulus of 90 seconds or less usually relies on phosphogen stores as primary energy source, with the exception of rest of 30-90 seconds between sets.

Results are why people try to lose weight, if they didn't get results trying something, why would they continue?

Like i said earlier, if you want to lose 200 pounds you go to the person who lost 200 pounds, if you want to get lean and shredded you go to the person who is shredded and lean...and if you want to have 2 test tubes one filled with what looks like crack and other with some kind of oil, well they come to you.

BTW its not biochem its under Nutrition and Human metabolism.

My experience and advice also comes from being a personal trainer, so I actually practice what I preach on clients with very good results, hence they keep coming back for more :)

human metabolism falls under biochem. The runners look emaciated due to the body cannibalizing muscle protein for amino acids to be converted to glucose. If it's true what you're saying, it would also mean people who don't lift weights (who don't have a good amount of type 2 muscle fibers) look emaciated, we both know that's not true. I know you already know that sometimes the body cannibalizes protein to give amino acids to organs that get priority, it also cannibalizes muscle to convert to glucose. On subject a good point is the older runners, who look emaciated on their upper bodies but not lower bodies, this is a good example of the hierarchy of priority. The upper body is at the lowest priority, the leg muscles have high. SO the body breaks down muscles in the upper body to fuel the lower body.

lifting weights and endurance running aren't the same thing, the energy pathways used for the two sports are totally different. look at a sprinter and then look at an endurance runner, muscle grow to loads placed on them over a set amount of time. We both know that the body "cannibalizes" protein, what does that have to do with what the op posted...your telling the op not to eat protein because for every 100 calories of protein 30 of them go to digestion/processing.